Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamepro: PS3 faster than Xbox 360, but harder to work with

Xtreme Enthusiast

Gamepro: PS3 faster than Xbox 360, but harder to work with

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?arti...SUIT&ATTR=DIGG

Developers have a choice, then: Leverage the superior performance of the PS3 at an additional cost, or make due using a more developer-friendly, less-capable Xbox 360. Despite added development challenges, the Dr. Dobb's report ultimately advocates the PS3's untapped potential. "Programming the Cell processor may be tricky, but the performance gains are worth the effort." One of their benchmarks observed Cell performance to be 22 times higher than a comparable Intel chip.

This seems to be at least a little bit of proof of what a lot of people are saying about the PS3. Though I am sure the fanboys, PS3 haters, and Sony haters will doubt every single bit of it and call the site and/or article Sony biased ... oh well ...

I am kind of skeptical of the Cell being 22 times more powerful than a comparable Intel chip, but with being how well the PS3 runs F@H I'm sure it is quite powerful.
    ASUS M5A99X EVO
    AMD Deneb 3.4Ghz Black Edition
    Gigabyte Radeon HD5950 1GB
    Mushkin Redline 2x4GB DDR3 2133

Quote Originally Posted by afireinside View Post
    The ps2 was disappointing it's entire life and the ps3 is downright junk so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmad View Post
    No body is going to be writing games for the Cell.. no one has the time or developers that care. Thanks to SONY, the Cell is already history.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its really freaking fast at certain calculations, but slow as hell at others..

If i remember correclty its really good at, for example, physics.
    but its terribly slow as a GAMING cpu, wich is kind of a shame since its beeing used in a gaming console..
    Rig 1:
    Intel E4300 @ 3Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-8500 - Asus P5N-e SLI - Club3d 9600gt @ 750/1950/1100Mhz - Vista 64

Rig 2:
    Intel celeron L420 @ 2.6Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-6400 - Asus P5B - XFX 8800GS 384mb - XP 32

Laptop
    Acer Aspire 3610, Pentium M725 OC @ 2.23Ghz - 2gb PC2-3200 - crappy Intel I915 gfx

Xtreme Member
    Not surprising tbh.

There was load of info flying around about the Cell well before launch and yes, in some specific benchmarks, because of the architecture, it can be that much better.

PS3 was always gonna be a b!tch to code for, hence why the first games only looked 'as good' as 360 games, surprisingly, as most were dumb ports.

Unfortunately the major limitation of the PS3 is that 90% of it's power is in the Cell, and not the graphics chip.

CPU's:- Xeon 3060 | Q6600 G0
    Mobos:- MSI X48C (Coming!) | MSI X38 Platinum | Asus P5K Deluxe
    RAM:- Kingston HyperX PC3-14400 | Team Xtreem PC2-6400C3 | Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 | Kingston PC2-9600
    Graphics:- PNY 9800GX2 | EVGA 8800GTX
    PSUs :- Antec TPQ-1KW | Ultra X-Pro 600w EE
    Cooling:- Nozzled FuZion | MCW60 | DDC w/ DDCT-01s | PA120.3

Xtreme Member
    why is he talking about cpu only ?

look at what we are talking : full-hd(1920*1080) with a 7900gtx or something like that.

who will think about those cpus, when it comes to that resolution on that gpu ?

don't makes sense to me.

when i want to run for example Oblivion on my mashine in full-hd, it don't matters if my cpu runs with 1600, 2400 or 3000mhz. the gpu makes it unplayable, no matter what cpu i have inside.
    System : E6600 @ 3150mhz, Gigabyte DS3, 4gb Infineon 667mhz, Amd-Ati X1900XT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by realsmasher View Post
    why is he talking about cpu only ?

look at what we are talking : full-hd(1920*1080) with a 7900gtx or something like that.

who will think about those cpus, when it comes to that resolution on that gpu ?

don't makes sense to me.

when i want to run for example Oblivion on my mashine in full-hd, it don't matters if my cpu runs with 1600, 2400 or 3000mhz. the gpu makes it unplayable, no matter what cpu i have inside.
    I have heard some mentions that the Cell processor can handle some functions of a GPU so that the GPU itself doesn't really have to be heavily relied on. I saw someone post a comment on Digg about this and mentioned some demo that was running on the PS3 utilizing just the Cell processor and it was very graphic intense. Whether or not this is true I am not sure.
    ASUS M5A99X EVO

The ps2 was disappointing it's entire life and the ps3 is downright junk so far.
    No body is going to be writing games for the Cell.. no one has the time or developers that care. Thanks to SONY, the Cell is already history.

Ah Gamepro, the bastion of hardware benchmarking...

Quote Originally Posted by realsmasher View Post
    Games for consoles are heavily optimized for that console. You can't compare how the 7800GTX performs in the PS3 to its performance on a PC.
    Q9550@3.71, 1.3v load / 4GB / 8800GT 740-975-1890 / Commando / Xonar D2 / MCW60+Apogee GT / Vista X64
    Q9300@2.5, 1.12v load/ 2GB / 8800GS stock / GA-G31M-S2L / Scythe Ninja / Ubuntu 8.04
    Macbook 13" Merom 1.83, 0.975v

Muslim Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by direowls View Post
    Games for consoles are heavily optimized for that console. You can't compare how the 7800GTX performs in the PS3 to its performance on a PC.
    Its much more than that. To make the Cell not seem completely useless, all the vertex functionality of the g70 (not even g71) they put in the ps3 was cut, and vertex data was passed to the Cell. You would think that would give you a boost, but it decreases performance and that is clear with common sense. You introduce latencies when you do stupid stuff like this and effectively reduce the number of polygons the GPU can display on the screen.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its much more than that. To make the Cell not seem completely useless, all the vertex functionality of the g70 (not even g71) they put in the ps3 was cut, and vertex data was passed to the Cell. You would think that would give you a boost, but it decreases performance and that is clear with common sense. You introduce latencies when you do stupid stuff like this and effectively reduce the number of polygons the GPU can display on the screen.

I'm not sure what you mean by no one is going to be writing games for the Cell. There are already tons of games in development for the PS3. Some very good ones from the same companies that made stuff for the PS2 .... can I have some of what you are smoking?
    ASUS M5A99X EVO

Muslim Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ub3r-L33ch View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by no one is going to be writing games for the Cell. There are already tons of games in development for the PS3. Some very good ones from the same companies that made stuff for the PS2 .... can I have some of what you are smoking?
    People are writing games for the RSX using existing APIs.. which deal with the GPU only. Read my statement again.

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    PS2 was the same story..
    whats up with sony and its consoles, it makes no sense
    Rig 1:
    Intel E4300 @ 3Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-8500 - Asus P5N-e SLI - Club3d 9600gt @ 750/1950/1100Mhz - Vista 64

Rig 2:
    Intel celeron L420 @ 2.6Ghz - 2gb OCZ PC2-6400 - Asus P5B - XFX 8800GS 384mb - XP 32

Laptop
    Acer Aspire 3610, Pentium M725 OC @ 2.23Ghz - 2gb PC2-3200 - crappy Intel I915 gfx

Xtreme Enthusiast
    People are writing games for the RSX using existing APIs.. which deal with the GPU only. Read my statement again.
    Well I'm not sure exactly what you mean then. If they make a game for the PS3 are they not already programming for the Cell by doing that? Or are you just saying they are not coding specifically for the Cell processor and just using it minimally to make the game and relying on just the GPU?
    ASUS M5A99X EVO

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_A View Post
    PS2 was the same story..
    whats up with sony and its consoles, it makes no sense
    Yeah PS2 was the same way in the beginning, which is why eventually I think the PS3 will be fine. The only problem is that the PS2 had a head start, coming out first. This time the PS3 does not have the same head start, so developers are shy of programming for it, when the 360 has already been out for awhile and much more established to program for.
    ASUS M5A99X EVO

Xtreme Addict
    This has been the general consensus since the next-gen console war came about. Now it has been put into words.

Currently
    , it seems that there are *slightly* better graphics on the 360, but within the next 6months to a year, the PS3 will be ahead, and that won't change for the rest of these consoles terms.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Look at these videos PS 3 vs. X360 1 and 2 there will be a 3rd part soon....
    Edited,anyway the first video was right under the second
    Last edited by XS2K; 06-14-2007 at 09:22 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XS2K View Post
    Look at these videos PS 3 vs. X360 1 and 2 there will be a 3rd part soon....
    Your first link is going to Newegg's listing of a X1950XT...
    >> i5 750 @ 3.6Ghz | CM212Plus + P12 | P55-UD3R [BIOS F2] | 4GB G.Skill CL8 | Zotac GTX 580
    .: 4 x 1TB WD | Corsair TX750 | Lian Li PC-A70A | X-Fi | Logitech Z-2300

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by direowls View Post
    Ah Gamepro, the bastion of hardware benchmarking...
    Well actually Gamepro wasn't the one that did the benchmarking or study or whatever you call it. It was a study done by Daniele, Oreste, and Fabrizio that are affiliated with the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. There is a link to that in the article, but here it is:
    http://www.ddj.com/dept/64bit/197801624
    ASUS M5A99X EVO

Xtreme Gamer
    They just now figured that out?

We knew this on release of PS3 specs.

Someone still doesn't know this industry very well...Especially since sony is going to be releasing their new SDK for the ps3 soon, and it's quite a bit better.

For two, with multi-platform engines, there's developers already doing all the major work for people.

UE3.0, Cryengine 2, id Tech5... All being set up to be cross-compatible with both plat-forms... Also, just to inform you, there's games already in the works for the PS3 that are definitely going to be chart toppers.

Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, The new Rachet and Clank, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection going online this month....

Also, for the record the RSX is based on the G71, it's 90nm you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    Someone still doesn't know this industry very well...Especially since sony is going to be releasing their new SDK for the ps3 soon, and it's quite a bit better.

For two, with multi-platform engines, there's developers already doing all the major work for people.

UE3.0, Cryengine 2, id Tech5... All being set up to be cross-compatible with both plat-forms... Also, just to inform you, there's games already in the works for the PS3 that are definitely going to be chart toppers.

Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, The new Rachet and Clank, Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection going online this month....

Also, for the record the RSX is based on the G71, it's 90nm you know.
    Good stuff there. IIRC Tekken 5 DR is already on the PS network too.

And correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know all the technicalities, but consoles have always been better at utilizing hardware than a PC right? Because the hardware is strictly used for games? So eventhough the 7 series nVidia card on the PS3 is a slightly toned down version doesn't mean it is crap.
    ASUS M5A99X EVO

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    the funny thing about them always trying to compare the PC and PS3 together is... the PS3 never looks as good as my PC does.

Carbon is far better on my PC.
    Oblivion is far better... faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr better on my PC.
    these are the only PS3 games I've tried so far, that I own for my PC as well.

theres just no comparison... at all.
    I dont care how many cores a console has.
    how much ram. how many points it can do at FAH or anything else.

if my PC still runs games better...
    what could it possibly matter how many cores the PS3 has?

I know the PS3 is a technological marvel and all that hooblooey, but at the end of the day, my PC is still better then the PS3. so guess what I play my games on?

the PS3 is good in the sense that you understand, its just a console.
    its the same PS3 today, as it will be in 4-5 years.
    but PC's evolve almost every month.
    where will your PC be in 4-5 years?

I like gaming, and I like consoles, I dont care about graphics 100% of the time, after all, I tried the WII, I loved it. its great fun. it doesnt blow me away in any way other then how much I forgot the game looked like crap... but I had fun.
    I like the PS3, I love my 360.
    I have fun with any game where I can get it.

but at the end of the day... my PC is still the best when it comes to gaming.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Cruncher
    Gamepro? The same place that was taking bribes for reviewing games? I'll take this guys opinion over them any day.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well uber, yes and no.
    On windows, mac or even linux, most of the time you have a lot of stuff running in the background which of course, takes up some or a lot of cpu power.
    While on a console, only the game and the simple OS is running which gives the console more time to focus just running whatever game you're playing.
    Also, one of the most important aspects in discussing the difference between PC and console is that when developing a game for a console one has fixed set of specifications, be it the cell and a Geforce 7900GTX for the PS3 or whatever the 360 is running, the developes usually don't need to worry about how well the engine they're using or creating scales, because of the unchanging specifications of the console.
    This as opposed to developing a game for the PC or mac where you as a developer may have to deal with multiple graphics chips, CPU architectures, mutli operating systems, let alone having to deal with engine scaling to make your game compatible with the widest array of systems.

EDIT: btw kunaak, not to be a pain in the back or anything, but it looks to make as though comparing the pc to the console a whole lot right there

CM Stacker 810 w/ Yate Loons | Enermax Infiniti 650W
    ASUS P5K Deluxe | Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 2x2GB
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB | ASUS Ageia PhysX P1 128MB
    Logitech G15 | Logitech G5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    Gamepro? The same place that was taking bribes for reviewing games? I'll take this guys opinion over them any day.
    Well again as it was said earlier, it wasn't Gamepro that "submitted" this information if you will, they just reported the findings from here:
    http://www.ddj.com/dept/64bit/197801624
    That is in the article, as well as my post earlier in here ... did you bother to read any of the posts in here?

Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak View Post
    the funny thing about them always trying to compare the PC and PS3 together is... the PS3 never looks as good as my PC does.

Carbon is far better on my PC.
    Oblivion is far better... faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrr better on my PC.
    these are the only PS3 games I've tried so far, that I own for my PC as well.

theres just no comparison... at all.
    I dont care how many cores a console has.
    how much ram. how many points it can do at FAH or anything else.

if my PC still runs games better...
    what could it possibly matter how many cores the PS3 has?

I know the PS3 is a technological marvel and all that hooblooey, but at the end of the day, my PC is still better then the PS3. so guess what I play my games on?

the PS3 is good in the sense that you understand, its just a console.
    its the same PS3 today, as it will be in 4-5 years.
    but PC's evolve almost every month.
    where will your PC be in 4-5 years?

I like gaming, and I like consoles, I dont care about graphics 100% of the time, after all, I tried the WII, I loved it. its great fun. it doesnt blow me away in any way other then how much I forgot the game looked like crap... but I had fun.
    I like the PS3, I love my 360.
    I have fun with any game where I can get it.

but at the end of the day... my PC is still the best when it comes to gaming.
    How many generations of consoles have you played? I have never seen a case where I thought a game on a console looked better than on the PC. This has always been the case AFAIK. It will never change either, unless they make consoles upgradeable, but at that point it isn't even a console anymore. So yes, I agree with you 100% on this, and I'm sure no one else will argue that fact.

However, consoles are still fun. They have alot of games that PCs do not have. You can have alot of 2+ player games on a console that you won't find on a PC.

So there are advantages and disadvantages to each one. I love consoles and PCs.
    ASUS M5A99X EVO

Xtreme X.I.P.
    its a common marketing comment nowadays if a product doesnt perform.
    its the firmware/driver/software not using it properly.

blablabla... show me a game on ps3 that looks much better than a game on xbox360 to prove this or shut up sony! :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    its a common marketing comment nowadays if a product doesnt perform.
    its the firmware/driver/software not using it properly.

blablabla... show me a game on ps3 that looks much better than a game on xbox360 to prove this or shut up sony! :P
    So far most of the games have been ports, that's why they look like shlt. The rest just haven't had much effort put in to them. Eventually they will be good.
    ASUS M5A99X EVO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast