Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
Any questions or comments before I begin the test on May 24, 002011 @ 12noon EST?
Good luck. PE longevity is of course dependent on a wide range of factors. Free space, span of writes, speed of writes, xfer sizes, alignment of writes. Tests such as these can only tell you how long NAND will last in a particular set of circumstances. Very useful non the less.

Regarding reliability SSD's haven't been around long enough for long term statics, plus all aspects of the technology are evolving rapidly and at the same time. Add to that the evolving and competitive nature of the industry, which is pushing SSD's on the market that are failing due to a lack of technology maturity and compatibility. The later being mostly responsible for perceived high failure rates.

On the other hand I believe the highest cause of failure for a HDD is mechanical damage. Here SSD's provide a significantly more robust solution with a significantly lower likelihood of failure.

Overall SSD's are a more robust design and in theory (at least) less likely to fail, but not all SSD's are made the same.

Personally I feel very safe using an SSD, but for long term data storage I would only trust a HDD. That primarily comes down to the fact that if a HDD fails there is a lot more chance of getting data of it compared to an SSD.

If I had a laptop I would feel much safer with a SSD.