Thread: MS Wants To Identify All Web Surfers

I am Xtreme

MS Wants To Identify All Web Surfers

taken from /.

New Scientist reports on a technology Microsoft is developing to identify users based on their browsing habits. Quote: 'The software could get its raw information from a number of sources, including a new type of 'cookie' program that records the pages visited. Alternatively, it could use your PC's own cache of web pages, or proxy servers could maintain records of sites visited. So far it can only guess gender and age with any accuracy,' but the aim is to be able to identify name, occupation and location as well. On a related note, The Inquirer reports on Microsoft's plans to widen the use of its identity-verification technology CardSpace, which is built into Windows Vista and available as an add-on to XP. It's being envisioned as an identity solution for the entire internet: says Kim Cameron, pioneer of the technology, 'We feel it has to solve all use cases.' (Aha, so the anonymous use cases, too, eh?) One might ask, with all of this user-ID information on hand, how long will it be until the Feds come knocking on Microsoft's door asking for help? They already have.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

-150c Club Member
    The catagory of Pervert is going to fill up awfully quickly.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Crunching for Poppabear
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    I could call a few others that may fill up faster.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does this seem kinda creepy and way too big brother to anyone else?

bee boo bop bop crunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super strokey View Post
    Does this seem kinda creepy and way too big brother to anyone else?
    Pre-2002 yes
    These days, no

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ummm...We already have this. Its called spyware.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

c[_]
    Yay, spyware with my OS before I can even connect to the net!

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    taken from /.
    Isn't this part of the reason why they released vista? Isn't there something similar (although written differently) found in the Vista Eula?

Off of Memory:
    Section 7. Internet Based Services, part A and part B
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 05-22-2007 at 06:55 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Ummm...We already have this. Its called spyware.
    Yup. I bet everyone here has a doubleclick cookie on their PC. It keeps track of everywhere you go online and seems impossible to get rid of. Doubleclick is owned by Google.

And Google wants even more control or your daily life.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Doubleclick annoys the F*** out of me, it takes them longer to load than all the :banana::banana::banana::banana: pics I look at, lol. They are freakin everywhere too. Don't worry, within several years you won't be able to use any computer without proving your identity and having all your actions being monitored for anything illegal 24/7. I'm surprised they don't have fingerprint scanners on all new computers by now, that way minors wouldn't be able to lie about their age to access :banana::banana::banana::banana: unless it (said computer with identity fingerprint scanner) was 1st activated by an adult. Of course the next step after that is fingerprint scanners built into the keyboard itself so every word you type can be directly linked to your identity and any adult content dynamically censored if I child is instantly detected using a computer, etc.
    DistroWatch - find your flavor of Linux
    Petra's Tech Shop - for all your watercooling needs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It sounds like you doubleclick haters could seriously benefit from adblock plus and some combination of easylist and filterset.G.

I've forgotten what banner ads even look like, I haven't seen one in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post
    I'm surprised they don't have fingerprint scanners on all new computers by now, that way minors wouldn't be able to lie about their age to access :banana::banana::banana::banana: unless it (said computer with identity fingerprint scanner) was 1st activated by an adult.
    Then you run into the problem South Africa had when the put biometrics on their cars - people stop carjacking and instead chop off your hand so they can steal the car.

You haven't addressed the real problem, you've just changed the outcome.
    Last edited by halo112358; 05-22-2007 at 07:37 PM.
    core i7 920, gigabyte EX58-UD5, 4870x2

DDC3.2 > PA120.3 > DD4870x2fc > Fuzion v1 > PA120.2 > EK Res

Royal Administrator
    Well, nobody likes spyware, but there is nothing you can do with it. If you have nothing to hide, you are good. Just be cautious and smart while using a computer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by halo112358 View Post
    It sounds like you doubleclick haters could seriously benefit from adblock plus and some combination of easylist and filterset.G.

I've forgotten what banner ads even look like, I haven't seen one in two years.

Then you run into the problem South Africa had when the put biometrics on their cars - people stop carjacking and instead chop off your hand so they can steal the car.

You haven't addressed the real problem, you've just changed the outcome.

Thanks for the Firefox extensions tips, very nice, just installed them. What's "the real problem" anyway? Are you afraid kids would chop off your hand to look at :banana::banana::banana::banana:? lol! Actually, I'm personally against censorship, sex and nudity is normal and natural and I don't see any reason to hide it from persons below some magical age (18). It's the Christians, Muslims and most modern religions of the last few milleniums that made it a naughty dirty thing.
    Last edited by AzraelDarkangel; 05-22-2007 at 11:15 PM.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Depends entirely how you define pervert...
    For example in the old days someone who liked to so women in their undergarments would have definitely been called a pervert.
    These days, it is called someone who likes to go to the beach

Quote Originally Posted by SewerSide View Post
    Pre-2002 yes
    These days, no
    One would think your sense of freedom and liberty would not become more narrow as time goes along. Like the frog in the pot that is slowly boiling, just because it isn't instantly hot doesn't mean you wont cook alive...

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post
    Thanks for the Firefox extensions tips, very nice, just installed them. What's "the real problem" anyway? Are you afraid kids would chop off your hand to look at :banana::banana::banana::banana:? lol! Actually, I'm personally against censorship, sex and nudity is normal and natural and I don't see any reason to hide it from persons below some magical age (18). It's the Christians, Muslims and most modern religions of the last few milleniums that made it a naughty dirty thing.
    Let us be realistic, those who want to watch :banana::banana::banana::banana: will. One way or another...
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    Like the frog in the pot that is slowly boiling, just because it isn't instantly hot doesn't mean you wont cook alive...

This has to be one of the most apt analogies I've read regarding the issue. Very nice.

Stolen for sig if you don't mind.
    Last edited by grudgelord; 05-22-2007 at 11:32 PM.
    Look at the tyranny of party--at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty--a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes--and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction; and forgetting or ignoring that their fathers and the churches shouted the same blasphemies a generation earlier when they were closing their doors against the hunted slave, beating his handful of humane defenders with Bible texts and billies, and pocketing the insults and licking the shoes of his Southern master.
    --Mark Twain, The Character of Man

One would think your sense of freedom and liberty would not become more narrow as time goes along. Like the frog in the pot that is slowly boiling, just because it isn't instantly hot doesn't mean you wont cook alive...

Xtreme Addict
    I have weird feeling about this, a new IT revolution - internet based will come in near future. FBI & M$ just opened Pandora's Box - which might turn in an internet holocaust, since today this(the internet) is the most common source of information/collaboration/transaction/etc - not just personal, even business related (especially).

PS.You can't expect them to invade your personal virtual life, whit out any consequence - the Internet Freaks will rise once again, but this time they are 100x more evolved then before. To bad we (the innocent ones) will be caught in the middle.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Will that mean that all future version of Internet Explorer can be considered spyware

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Teroedni View Post
    Will that mean that all future version of Internet Explorer can be considered spyware
    Worst, might be an APOCALYPSE for Windows users, unles they build a protection for personal data agaynts this imoral acts.

PS.We're not all pedophile, you know.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    eh, it's time to become a linux power user, =P
    -Cpu:Opteron 170 LCBQE 0722RPBW(2.87ghz @ 1.300v)
    (retired)Opteron 146 (939) CAB2E 0540
    -Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90
    -Fan:120mm Yate Loon 1650 RPM @ 12V, 70.5 CFM, 33dB
    -Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 UT Ultra-D
    -Ram: Mushkin High Performance blue, 2gigs(2X1gig kit) PC3200 991434
    -Hard drive: Seagate 400GB Barracuda SATA HD 7200.10(AS noisey model)
    -Video card: evga 6800GS @520/1170
    -Case: P180
    -PSU:Enermax 535Watt EG565P-VE FMA (24P)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Let us be realistic, those who want to watch :banana::banana::banana::banana: will. One way or another...
    Yup, like me starting around 15 or 16yrs old, which would have been around 92' or 93'. That's what really got me interested in computers in the 1st place, Newsgroups. Before web browsers when most people used Telnet to chat on bulletin boards. Back then it was a pain because you had to download the pics then run them through a program, uencode or something, whatever it was called, to turn the file into an image file. Took me like 20 min to get a dozen or so pics. BTW, many of the pics back then were completely illegal, bestiality, child :banana::banana::banana::banana:, and snuff/torture/rape. Maybe that's why I'm so demented from looking at those when I was 15 and 16yrs old, lol.

Xtreme Addict
    I was thinking of using a VM off linux just yesterday, and thought how paranoid
    that would be
    Today, after seeing this, I'd just call it safe and forward-thinking
    Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R

Ebay Hater
    It'll be fun to use Ubuntu I think. The CD is here waiting for me.
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by halo112358 View Post
    Damn right.
    Q6600 @ 3.4GHz - 1.4v, 4GB PC26400, Asus P5B-Deluxe WIFI, BFG 8800GTX OC2, (4x)Seagate 15k.5 SAS RAID0 on Adaptec 4805 w/128MB cache, approx 1.3TB SATA300, Gateway 24" LCD.

Xtreme Member
    If MS does this, there is a great likelihood that I will use Ubuntu for all of my internet browsing activities. (In fact, I probably should be doing that already) Bottom line, I don't want somebody tracking me for any reason, even if it's just to see what vendors or news sites I visit the most.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Oh how I long for the pre-DRM/WGA/Let's spy on all of our ing customers days.
    Quote Originally Posted by amscott
    my freind is a proud owneer of an xbox 360. from wat he has told me, microsoft has secret built in devices that only are in the xbox and cannot be recreated. for instance he told me taht there is this little divise that is in the xbox 360 taht u cannot take out which if u play online and microsoft catches you hacking with this special chip thing that changes somthing in the games, microsoft will basicly sent a EMP pulse to your game system and fry it. :O because of these little part in the system, it is very difficult if not impossoble to modify the xbox with other parts because of the compatibility of the processor and (dashboard).