Thread: 3500+ to 3800+ X2

3500+ to 3800+ X2

Im now really really tempted to buy a dual core x2 3800+ for £265 and sell my 3500+ for £150 ish...

What do you guys recon? Is it worth it? I do a bit of multitasking and when i do i get annoyed i cant do anything else, such as copying a DVD... and i would love to be able to do this

Also what is the overclocking results for the X2 3800+ ?

TIA
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.5Ghz w/
    Tuniq Tower 120
    ASUS Commando
    OCZ 4GB PC2-6400 XTC Platinum Rev2 @ 4-4-4-15, 438Mhz
    eVGA 512mb 8800GTS @ 830(Core) / 1030(Mem) / 2025(Shader)
    Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    2 x Western Digital 250GB SATAII 16Mb (RAID 0)
    Antec P182 Case
    Tagan 480w PSU
    Windows Vista x64 Ultimate

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave164
    Also what is the overclocking results for the X2 3800+ ?
    Not really possible to answer since almost less than zero people have one and those that do haven't/can't* post results just yet.

* apparently due to NDA some seem to think.

Anyway, I'm guess you saw the 3800 X2 at Tekheads yes?

Alt tabbing or anything else on a dual core is smoother, faster and works well because you are not contending for resources with a game or what have you. It's like trying to carry a fridge with your buddy and not wanting to put it down to get the door open and then his twin brother shows up.....nice....

I have a 4200 and it OC's well to 2.85 Ghz, not bad, but they need excellent cooling to take the volts, they pump out enormous heat over 1.5 volts....

I'd switch in a hearbeat and my 3000 venny oc's out of the box to 2.7 on stock air and I still think the 4200 is the better deal. I'd have bought a 3800 is they were available and removed the heat spreader for a sweat OC in a heartbeat. I can't see them OCing less than 25% on average based on results of all other chips, though it is harder to OC a x2 because you are gambling on two cores and the OCing gods aren't always nice to us guys.
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey
    Alt tabbing or anything else on a dual core is smoother, faster and works well because you are not contending for resources with a game or what have you. It's like trying to carry a fridge with your buddy and not wanting to put it down to get the door open and then his twin brother shows up.....nice....

I have a 4200 and it OC's well to 2.85 Ghz, not bad, but they need excellent cooling to take the volts, they pump out enormous heat over 1.5 volts....

I'd switch in a hearbeat and my 3000 venny oc's out of the box to 2.7 on stock air and I still think the 4200 is the better deal. I'd have bought a 3800 is they were available and removed the heat spreader for a sweat OC in a heartbeat. I can't see them OCing less than 25% on average based on results of all other chips, though it is harder to OC a x2 because you are gambling on two cores and the OCing gods aren't always nice to us guys.
    Your last point is the ONLY reason I'm afraid to jump to X2. For the price the risks of getting one dodgy core are great. From almost every reading on the X2 I have found most have 1 core do really well and the other really poor making it quite hard to find a middle point that both cores will play happy with. I find with dual cores you have twice the probability of a system crash, hang or BSOD due to two cores being able to act up instead of just one. This almost makes it hard to find which core is acting up as besides setting affinity for each core when priming etc, under general usage im sure windows will alot what is being done on each processor in its own way.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If you feel you multitask enough to benefit from one I would go for it.

Xtreme Member

Mmmh about the OCing thing, what volts are safe to use for a 4200+ cooled by a XP-90 + 60CFM fan /w good airflow (and an extra fan on both the RAM and PWM IC area). Not too sure what is safe so haven't OC'd (even undervolted it to 1.25V, v. cool (and still stable) proc now :P)

And ontopic: Get an X2, you'll never wanna go back to single core, it's great
    Lian Li PC-v1000b
    DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
    Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    2x 1GB G.Skill NS
    XFX 7800GTX
    2x Samsung Spinpoint SP2504C 250GB
    1x Samsung T166 500GB
    NEC ND-3540
    Viewsonic vp191b
    Logitech Ultra X Flat
    Logitech MX1000
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital

I went to 1.47 v and I am able to keep the temp peak under 52c with the IHS intact using a 7700 Cu. In theory nothing beyond stock is "safe". But safe is not why we are here is it?
    "Foldin, Foldin, Foldin...keep those benchers foldin..." (Lyrics by Angra, Music is Rawhide)

BOYCOTT MIR's

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    aww an OC virgin! lose it tonight with Xtremesystems!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I wouldn't go above 1.6v.

Xtreme Member
    I went to 1.47 v and I am able to keep the temp peak under 52c with the IHS intact using a 7700 Cu. In theory nothing beyond stock is "safe". But safe is not why we are here is it?
    Well sure :P. But still, I'd rather not fry a 480 euro processor by running it at too high volts :P

And I'll prolly keep it at 1.45V or lower then
    Lian Li PC-v1000b
    DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
    Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    2x 1GB G.Skill NS
    XFX 7800GTX
    2x Samsung Spinpoint SP2504C 250GB
    1x Samsung T166 500GB
    NEC ND-3540
    Viewsonic vp191b
    Logitech Ultra X Flat
    Logitech MX1000