Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Lapped core 2 duo IHS pics

Quote Originally Posted by yaddam205
    and that's when you ask yourself how often do you have CPUs fail on you after a good 24+ burn in... the answer is close to never. About 1 in 10k are prone to fail.
    I lapped my CPU about 2 weeks ago.
    I started with 600 grid, moving on to 800 grid. (because I didn't have anything else to do it with )
    Now the problem is, since I lapped the IHS, only 1 core gets recognized
    When I boot the PC, the bios etc says "Cores: 2", but whenever I boot into windows, it only sees one core.
    (used CPU-Z, everest, windows itself for checking)
    Cpu works perfectly fine, but only with one core
    I have a P5B deluxe mobo, and I'm quite out of answers ..
    Help? I prolly broke it
    Last edited by J a D a; 02-03-2007 at 01:41 PM.
    * Intel E6400 / Abit AW9D MAX / 2Gb PC8000 / ATI X1900XT / 1.6Tb / Samsung 205BW Tft / Enermax Liberty 620W / Creative X-Fi Platinum / Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1 / ..
    Insanity is a blessing ..
    HardwareOnline.be

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by J a D a
    I lapped my CPU about 2 weeks ago.
    I started with 600 grid, moving on to 800 grid. (because I didn't have anything else to do it with )
    Now the problem is, since I lapped the IHS, only 1 core gets recognized
    When I boot the PC, the bios etc says "Cores: 2", but whenever I boot into windows, it only sees one core.
    (used CPU-Z, everest, windows itself for checking)
    Cpu works perfectly fine, but only with one core
    I have a P5B deluxe mobo, and I'm quite out of answers ..
    Help? I prolly broke it
    that is weird, did you damage anything on the back while lapping? ive never heard of anyone breaking their cpu from just lapping before unless they used water.

all outta gum
    1. Even if you drop your CPU into water you should just let it dry in some warm place for several hours and it should be fine. Just not power it up when wet
    2. I have bought some sandpaper, 3 sheets (400, 600, 1200) for about 1.2zł each (1$ = ~2 zł), I'll do some lapping tomorrow stay tuned for some pics from lapping n00b
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Member
    so you don't lap the IHS with any liquid? just dry sanding?

Xtreme Legend
    not many of you would have seen my thread about preparing a motherboard for sub zero benching in which i linked to one of the user's suggestions from OCAU.....washing the motherboard in sink with soap water and everything and then baking it a little in the oven to dry it

he's done it a load of times and they all work great LOL LOL

here is something amusing......................this is a reply i got from a fellow OCAU member...........
    Quote Originally Posted by Baziz
    I've worked with the same brand of the tape before. I believed I purchased it from Jaycar.. Not sure though, been a while

Anyways, It's a great product. Easy to apply and does the job perfectly! But Becareful and MAKE sure non of it gets inside or under the Socket. I suggest you get a set of cheap artist brushes from your local cheap outlet [Go-Lo] and start you way slowly.

Now for removing Ex- Grease and all of the nasties.. I personally Prefer to give my mobo's / hardware baths followed by a Metho Rinse. Then they go to the oven on VERY low heat setting. I usually set it for 24C.. Let it sit there then for a few hours. Keep checking every 30mts or so [Trust me.. you don't want the smell of silicon in your oven]

I've done this numerous times over the past and saved/brough to back tons of hardware from it. Just make sure it's fully dry before applying voltage.

Anyways here are some pics of my P4C when I washed it after some action; for refrence

Hope that helps
    Last edited by dinos22; 02-03-2007 at 04:37 PM.
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22
    not many of you would have seen my thread about preparing a motherboard for sub zero benching in which i linked to one of the user's suggestions from OCAU.....washing the motherboard in sink with soap water and everything and then baking it a little in the oven to dry it

he's done it a load of times and they all work great LOL LOL

here is something amusing......................this is a reply i got from a fellow OCAU member...........

thats a motherboard.....in soapy water....and a oven.....

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by xoqolatl
    1. Even if you drop your CPU into water you should just let it dry in some warm place for several hours and it should be fine. Just not power it up when wet
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^i was just replying to this i guess hehehe
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well, as interesting as that looks, I will not be trying it.
    | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | i7 2600K w/ Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS ENGTX580 DirectCU II |
    | 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | Corsair F60 60GB - Raid 0 | WD2001FASS | Silverstone FT-02 w/ Corsair 1200w PSU|

Xtreme Member
    so....you just dry sand it right? Don't use any liquid when lapping the IHS?

Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32
    that is weird, did you damage anything on the back while lapping? ive never heard of anyone breaking their cpu from just lapping before unless they used water.
    I didn't damage anything as far as I can see..
    I used like, 3 drops of water on my paper to startup the process.
    You think thát is the cause of my problem?
    obviously I didn't put the CPU into the socket without cleaning it
    Last edited by J a D a; 02-03-2007 at 06:05 PM.
    * Intel E6400 / Abit AW9D MAX / 2Gb PC8000 / ATI X1900XT / 1.6Tb / Samsung 205BW Tft / Enermax Liberty 620W / Creative X-Fi Platinum / Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1 / ..
    Insanity is a blessing ..
    HardwareOnline.be

great, pictures everyone i have 32C idle on my lapper e6400
    Processor: Core 2 E6400 @2.67GHz Lapped
    Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (1707 Bios)
    Graphics: MSI 7900GS 256MB @ 450/1320
    Memory: 2x1GB Micron PC4200 “D9CRZ” fatbody chips @833MHZ 4-4-3-12 2.45v
    Power: Antec Neo HE 500 Watt
    Sound: Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sennheiser HD595
    Harddrives: 250GB WD2500KS
    Cooling: Tuniq Tower 120, Zalman VF900-CU, OCZ XT
    Case: Antec P180

Xtreme Member
    So you DO use some water to lap the cpu?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's a little step by step of my lap job. I have a 6600 and a Tuniq Tower, and they were ugly.

Yanking the heatsinks off after 1 month:

Hmm, looks like in that AS5 mud the IHS was only contacting on the edges and the corners

The base of the Tuniq:

Sure seems like it here too. I think the a bit smaller than a grain of rice technique is too much also (I didnt see the line technique at the AS5 site when I put it together, but that might be too much as well IMO after seeing this.)

Cleaned off Tuniq base:

Yup, shiny edge pattern in the metal, no center contact for sure. No wonder it would get hot with any voltage boost for higher OC's

I'll skip the 6600 lapping, 'cause we have seen it already (and I was too busy lapping to remember to take photos, lol). But kind of important...the Tuniq is also is dished so that center contact with the IHS would not happen:

After even more sanding, still has a nice dish where you would like to see good contact with the IHS:

CPU back on the MB, with a spiffy 300 grit finish (I'm looking for flat, not pretty. That and I could only find some 300 in the garage, too lazy to buy more paper ):

All buttoned up, lets fire her up:

After doing this I dropped 5-6 degrees in TAT under Orthos load at the usual OC of 3.4 at stock voltages which my machine will do. Now for the really interesting part...bumping the vcore to 1.3875 which my machine needs to run Orthos stable at 3.6 resulted in a 10 degree drop with Orthos running. All I can say is...if you are on the fence on whether to lap your CPU and cooler, do it!
    Last edited by AndyM; 02-16-2007 at 10:47 PM. Reason: put correct voltage # in
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Nvidia 8800 GTS @ 648/900
    2GB Ballistix
    Dtek, Swiftech & EK blocks, 2x D5, PA120.3, 2, & 1.
    WD Raptor X 150GB & Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Which is the procces to do this proyect?
    How can i do on my own e6300???
    What i get if i do this?

Xtreme Member
    so don't use any liquid when sanding the CPU?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeblast
    Depends on the type of paper used. Some papers are meant for both wet & dry sanding, etc.

I've done both, I like wet sanding better. Comes out nicer IMO.
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM
    bumping the vcore to 3.875 which my machine needs to run Orthos stable at 3.6 resulted in a 10 degree drop with Orthos running.
    I would think at that voltage it would be hotter than the depths of hell.
    | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | i7 2600K w/ Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS ENGTX580 DirectCU II |
    | 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | Corsair F60 60GB - Raid 0 | WD2001FASS | Silverstone FT-02 w/ Corsair 1200w PSU|

Xtreme Guru
    3.875? and your computer didnt set on fire?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32
    thats a motherboard.....in soapy water....and a oven.....
    lol wow that is crazy...

Though I would not rule out that it works. My mouse and keyboard have gotten wet many times, while RUNNING, I just unplug them and let them dry off, and they work again. Im guessing the dynamics are different on a mobo, but my old 6 year old mouse and keys are still kickin

I will post some lapping pics when i get my sandpaper. this thread is good stuff.
    E6600 @ 3.6
    8800GTS @ 660/2000
    DFI Infinity P965-S Dark
    2 GB G Skill PC6400-HZ
    Lian Li PC-65B

Quote Originally Posted by Cathar View Post
    You want gerlz? Get a radiator from what's in my avatar, with the rest of the bike attached.

Xtreme Member
    I dont have any pics but, I lapped E6600 and got about -3C load temperature drop. My IHS was pretty flat to begin with and was slightly concave.

My IHS is not prefectly mirror smooth, but it is now flat according to the razor blade test.

I had to lap my CPU 3 times because I kept accidentally banging my water block on the lapped surface when reinstalling and it left big scratches on the surface.

Intel doesnt lap their IHS's because it would cost far too much in time and equipment to justify the temperature drop with stock running CPU's. You gotta remember, Intel doesnt make CPU's for enthusiasts who wring every last drop of performance. They build CPU's for the many OEMs and manufacturers. A stock running E6600 with a mirror flat lapped IHS will perform no different than one with a slightly convex rough IHS in normal climate controlled home/office environments. Enthusiasts make up very very little of the total market.

Plus, I like the fact that enthusiasts have to go the extra mile to get the most performance. I wouldnt like doing this stuff if some joe shmo could just go out and slap an ultra high end top clocker WR breaker system togethor with little to no thought.

Lapping and getting that little extra edge is what seperates us from the normal hobbyists. If everyone else could easily get what we strive and work hard to get, most of us would just give up and buy a Dell.

I'm just glad that Computer parts manufacturers are starting to realize that hardcore enthusiasts help drive sales, and can make or break their end of year financial numbers. This kinda relationship is common among every industry I know of except computers, but I'm glad this is changing.
    3.75 Ghz E6600 SL958 @1.4volts WC by Apogee
    Intel D975XBX2 Rev 503 BIOS 2431 1066 Strap (This Mobo SUCKS!)
    4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR1000 @ DDR834 5,5,5,15
    EVGA 8800GTX WC MCW60 (685GPU/1050Mem)
    4X74 10,000RPM WD Raptor RAID-0 (260MB/S)
    PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad
    SILVERSTONE GD01S-MXR HTPC Case
    Intel HD Audio... Saving up for i-Meridian
    Custom Designed/Built 6x500Watt + 1x1500 Watt Amplifier .005% THD+N @ 20Khz not 1Khz
    Custom Designed/Built D'Appolito Reference Speakers w/ Custom -24dB crossovers
    Custom Designed/Built 15" Digital Designs Audio 9515f tuned to 22Hz.
    52" LG DLP 52SX4D HDTV

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyea
    I would think at that voltage it would be hotter than the depths of hell.
    Whoops, I just caught that. Yeah, that would be inferno time, eh? LOL

I meant 1.3875 vcore 60-62C running Orthos with 78F room temps case closed up, I'm happy with these temps now. With my machine's new-found cooling ablity I'll try faster OC's as it seems that my CPU might be one of the good ones looking at what voltages others are reporting with their 6600's.
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Nvidia 8800 GTS @ 648/900
    2GB Ballistix
    Dtek, Swiftech & EK blocks, 2x D5, PA120.3, 2, & 1.
    WD Raptor X 150GB & Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

all outta gum
    Just lapped my E6600 i won't tell you how much did I gain, I 'm waiting for AS5 to bake a little.

SOME N00B OBSERVATIONS ON LAPPING

1. I used 400, 600 and 1200 grit paper, but 400 is too fine to start with. Next time I would start with 300 or 240 - that way the entire process would take much less time

2. make sure you apply equal pressure to he CPU. Use two or four fingers, dont use three. If you are using the cross pattern, you can look at the scratches to determine if pressure is equal - if you can see horizontal scratches in one corner of IHS after making several vertical moves, than your pressure on thet corner was lesser than on other. I think that this is the superiority of cross pattern over the 8-pattern.

3. Beware the stickers on the sandpaper. I had price sticker on the back of every sheet I bought, that makes the lapping surface uneven even if you used glass or something flat as a base.

4. Try not to break your cpu tray; lapping is much harder without the tray.

5. DON'T EVER TOUCH THE LAPPED SURFACE.

I'm not saying you should listen to my advice; just tought it may help somebody to avoid my mistakes.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Quote Originally Posted by xoqolatl
    SOME N00B OBSERVATIONS ON LAPPING

1. I used 400, 600 and 1200 grit paper, but 400 is too fine to start with. Next time I would start with 300 or 240 - that way the entire process would take much less time

2. make sure you apply equal pressure to he CPU. Use two or four fingers, dont use three. If you are using the cross pattern, you can look at the scratches to determine if pressure is equal - if you can see horizontal scratches in one corner of IHS after making several vertical moves, than your pressure on thet corner was lesser than on other. I think that this is the superiority of cross pattern over the 8-pattern.

3. Beware the stickers on the sandpaper. I had price sticker on the back of every sheet I bought, that makes the lapping surface uneven even if you used glass or something flat as a base.

4. Try not to break your cpu tray; lapping is much harder without the tray.

5. DON'T EVER TOUCH THE LAPPED SURFACE.

I'm not saying you should listen to my advice; just tought it may help somebody to avoid my mistakes.
    NICE!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeblast

I used water while sanding mine and got a great result. I just taped the back of the CPU with electric tape to make the cleaning up easier.
    Watercool Project! (Check it out!) (New update: 25/07-2007: Pics of costom made RAM-cooler + lapjob)

System:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @ 3600 MHz, 1.52 Vcore
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Crucial Tenth Anniversary PC-5300 2 x 1024 Mb @ 900 MHz, 4-4-4-9, 2.05 Vdimm (Costom cooled)
    Inno3D 8800 GTS 640 Mb @ 648/1512/1021
    Corsair HX520W
    2 x WD Raptor 74 Gb (RAID0)
    Antec P180B (3 x Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E @ ~ 10 V)
    Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22"
    Sunbeam Rheobus

Watercooling:
    Swiftec Apogee GTX (Bowed)
    Swiftec MCW60 (Swiftec MC14 and MC21 ramsinks)
    Thermochill PA120.3 (3 x Shakoon Silent Eagle 2000 @ ~ 6.5 V)
    Laing DCC-2 18W (Aplhacool top)
    EK Multioption 150
    Masterkleer 7/16" ID
    EK High-Flow fittings

Xtreme Member
    For those of you who are lapping Intel 775 CPUs, why not covering them with the plastic cover they ship in and then taping the PCB with duck tape? It seems to me that this way there would be the least amount of residues to the worried about. Don't you agree?

Cheers.

Miguel

[EDIT] Sorry about any grammar errors. I'm still getting used to Vista's Voice Recognition Software. Not that easy to master when you're not a native speaker... :P [/EDIT]

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast