Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount ANY s478 Heatsink/Fan on a CT-479!!!

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI

Mount ANY s478 Heatsink/Fan on a CT-479!!!

Almost too easy actually. I went to the hardware store and bought a bag of nylon washers, like 1/4" diameter... also bought longer screws that matched the thread pitch of the retention bracket>to underside bracket.

Remove stock retention frame. Add approx 7 washers under each retention frame "foot". This lifts the factory retention frame up high enough so that ANY s478 heatsink/fan that uses clips will fit. Then use the extra long screws to attach frame to underside bracket. Tighten her down and ready to go!

E-Z as pie.

Right now I'm using a CoolerMaster Hyper6 with the stock hyper6 clips. Just keep testfitting the hs/f and clips and adding additional washers (or removing them) to adjust the height.

Pic's later!! Works great, try it guys!!

C

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Thats good news Charlie. This may turn more people towards the dothans now.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great idea, will look forward to pics. I thought about using a washer as a shim, but I could never find and thin enough...

Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    Almost too easy actually. I went to the hardware store and bought a bag of nylon washers, like 1/4" diameter... also bought longer screws that matched the thread pitch of the retention bracket>to underside bracket.

Remove stock retention frame. Add approx 7 washers under each retention frame "foot". This lifts the factory retention frame up high enough so that ANY s478 heatsink/fan that uses clips will fit. Then use the extra long screws to attach frame to underside bracket. Tighten her down and ready to go!

E-Z as pie.

Right now I'm using a CoolerMaster Hyper6 with the stock hyper6 clips. Just keep testfitting the hs/f and clips and adding additional washers (or removing them) to adjust the height.

C
    <----- REST IN PEACE, KIT. 1993-2007.

Xtreme Member
    Ya lets see some pics
    CPU: AMD FX-57 0516
    Ram: G.Skill 1gb PC 4400 LE / 2x512 Mushkin Redline
    Video Cards: BFG 7800 GTX Viperjohn modded
    HD: 2X WD Raptors 74gb
    Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Case/Cooling: Lian-Li PC65 - Vapochill LS
    Mobo: DFI NF4 Sli-DR
    PSU: PCP&C 510W SLI

Xtreme Member
    Ah! How ingenious!

Off to a hardware store tommorow!

Xtreme Member
    That's awesome. I have an XP-120 that would probably work pretty well for Dothans.. and spare P4c800-e board. How fast does your dothan 'feel' Charlie? And also what are you using to cool it?

Thanks in advance! Can't wait for pics

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Quote Originally Posted by novagamer
    That's awesome. I have an XP-120 that would probably work pretty well for Dothans.. and spare P4c800-e board. How fast does your dothan 'feel' Charlie? And also what are you using to cool it?

Thanks in advance! Can't wait for pics
    Well,
    It's hard to say... but for surfing net and watching streaming video, it feels just like an A64 or a P4 w/HT

C

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Good idea. Sorta like the opposite of sanding off the stand-offs on the XP-90 / XP-120 bracket for use on a cpu with IHS removed.
    Official ORB bottom feeder.

Bulletproof
    Yeah, it's a pretty obvious mod. Only works on boards with screw on brackets. Every P4 board I own uses a push-pin version. You can buy the screwdown kind for ~ $5 though I suppose.
    Only the stupidest humans believe that the dogma of relative filth is a defense.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well if it is so obvious how come nobody posted it until now?

Quote Originally Posted by Lithan
    Yeah, it's a pretty obvious mod. Only works on boards with screw on brackets. Every P4 board I own uses a push-pin version. You can buy the screwdown kind for ~ $5 though I suppose.
    <----- REST IN PEACE, KIT. 1993-2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithan
    The two brackets I have (one from P4PE one from P4P800-E/DLX) are the push-pin types, the one with the white-mono-use-sh**y-pins, but I found that the black pins (the one that spreads once the white pin is inserted and hold in position the bracket) can be easily removed. No cutting job needed, just 4 long screw, bolts, washers and rubber washers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	push-pins-off.jpg 
Views:	927 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	32764  
    Last edited by rivers; 06-20-2005 at 03:21 AM.
    Pentium M 'Dothan' 740 @ 2.80(280*10)/1120/DDR425/1.45v stock air qfan @11/15, ASUS P4P800-SE rev2.0, ASUS V9999LE GeForce 6800LE @16/6, 2x cheap Twinmos PC3200, 2xHitachi 7K250 RAID0, Coolermaster ATC-201C and blah blah blah

Xtreme Member
    Nice find Charlie

Got my 730 and adapter on the way this week, now all I need to figure out is how to mount my Maze 4 onto it, as from what I understand the adapter blocks 2 of the s478 mounting holes ?
    One of these days I will do a full set of Benches, until then....

CPUZ Verified OC
    P4GD1 | Dothan 770 on CT479 adapter w/ hipro5 mods | 2gb Gskill BHV (coming soon) | BFG 7900GTX | PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI
    Airtight Case and Custom Chiller

Bulletproof
    Quote Originally Posted by uclajd
    Well if it is so obvious how come nobody posted it until now?
    Dunno. My boards are all push pin so I didn't do it. I actually was regretting it because I used to have a screw-down socket A heatsink adapter that also had p4 loops so it would have worked just dandy, but I sold it awhile ago. I just kind of assumed it went without saying. I mean if I was looking for a way to mount and I had a screwdown (ironically my p4c800 arrived today and it's got screw-down) spacers would have been the first idea that came to mind. Long before the crazy heatsink mod's we've been seeing. The only thing I'd worry about is that without the bracket being flush with the board, if it's a plastic upper bracket and you use a heavy heatsink/high clamping pressure. The bracket would be at much increased (since it can much more easilly "push-out" at the center) risk of warping or even snapping. Hence why I regretted not having that nice steel adapter anymore. You might try to find them. I payed ~ $5 + ship at bestbyte.net a couple years ago for mine.

edit: Here it is http://www.bestbyteinc.com/prodinfo....er=HSK-TRI-P4A

I might buy another so I can use this mod myself. I don't like having the clamping pressure pulling my xp-120's mount screw out instead of in which is how I have it rigged up now.

Not trying to raid on Charlies parade, but like he said... it's not a complex mod. Hardest part is finding bolts in the right size. My local hardware stores don't carry anything less then 6-32's. I think the size needed are 4-40's... but they might be 6-32's I'll have to check.
    Last edited by Lithan; 06-20-2005 at 10:48 AM.
    Only the stupidest humans believe that the dogma of relative filth is a defense.

Xtreme Member
    Ya where the pics at?
    CPU: AMD FX-57 0516
    Ram: G.Skill 1gb PC 4400 LE / 2x512 Mushkin Redline
    Video Cards: BFG 7800 GTX Viperjohn modded
    HD: 2X WD Raptors 74gb
    Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Case/Cooling: Lian-Li PC65 - Vapochill LS
    Mobo: DFI NF4 Sli-DR
    PSU: PCP&C 510W SLI

Xtreme Enthusiast
    whaiting for pics, my english is not good enought to understand!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Pics please
    Tempted to grab a swiffy MXC4000 and try and get that fitted, uses mobo mouting via bolts (iirc) so might be easy enough to mod on... Any thoughts on that?
    .:. X2 @ 2.9 .:. E6600 L628 @ 4.73 .:. AB9 @ 512 FSB .:. E6300 @ 100% OC Stable

U.K. overclockers: Represent your country, bench for EP-UK! Unite and show the world there IS a U.K. scene!

Yeah Pics please.
    By the way, do you use a shim to protect the CPU?
    And if you do, where do I get one?

Will this shim work?
    http://www.bestbyteinc.com/prodinfo....er=SHM-TTA-001

no, that shim is only 0.6mm high, you need one which is 0.82mm. The most common solution, and probably the cheapest and easiest is to use foam pads. If you look at a athlon xp processor, you'll see 4 round foam pads which "squeeze" down to the right height when a heatsink is placed on them. Use this principle... I used some antislip pads which came with some speakers I bought years ago (Cambridge Soundworks FPS1000 baby! :p)

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Well,
    It's hard to say... but for surfing net and watching streaming video, it feels just like an A64 or a P4 w/HT

C
    can u run dbech. Its a program that sees how fast it can produce a candidate. I've never seen a dothan run it.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Member
    Hi charlie,

I´m a little confused about your description.
    Please release us and show some pics ...

Regards,
    CB

E-Z as pie.

C

Admin
    I think he means to add nylon washers under the legs of the mounting bracket to adjust the height of your bracket to your individual HSF.
    You will probably need to buy longer screws if you raise it very much. Try the ones you have first before you buy new screws.

Nice suggestion Charlie - thanks for the heads up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010059.jpg 
Views:	1231 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	32896  
    Last edited by runmc; 06-22-2005 at 03:50 AM.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ron i dont understand it again....

where am i going to put that longer screws? The adapter covers two holes...

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen
    ron i dont understand it again....

where am i going to put that longer screws? The adapter covers two holes...
    You would put the screws in before you put the adaptor in. By raising the mounting bracket, you are compensating for the extra height you gain from the CT-479 adaptor.
    You will need to use a HSF that attaches to the mounting bracket the same way the stock HSF attaches to the bracket.

For example - The CT-479 adaptor added 1/4 inch to the distance from the top of the processor to the motherboard. You will now need to add 1/4 inches in washers under the mounting bracket to bring it back up to the same height relationship you had between the mounting bracket and the top of the processor.
    I used 1/4 inch as an example. I don't know the exact distance the adaptor raises the top of processor from the motherboard.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by runmc
    You would put the screws in before you put the adaptor in. By raising the mounting bracket, you are compensating for the extra height you gain from the CT-479 adaptor.
    You will need to use a HSF that attaches to the mounting bracket the same way the stock HSF attaches to the bracket.

For example - The CT-479 adaptor added 1/4 inch to the distance from the top of the processor to the motherboard. You will now need to add 1/4 inches in washers under the mounting bracket to bring it back up to the same height relationship you had between the mounting bracket and the top of the processor.
    I used 1/4 inch as an example. I don't know the exact distance the adaptor raises the top of processor from the motherboard.
    now i have understood

ot/

is you the guy in your avatar???

/ot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast