Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyers Beware! New geil Ultra-X might NOT be TCCD

Buyers Beware! New geil Ultra-X might NOT be TCCD

Ive recently purchased my geil ultra x 2x512. serial number sn5000073.
    They overclock very poorly on my k8n neo 2 motherboard and 3200 winnie.
    Reboots past 230fsb 2.5-4-4-7 1T (it also fails at 2T) 2.85v ( overvolts to 2.9 ).
    Cas 3 is a no boot even on stock fsb and 2.55-2.85 volts.

I am sure that my motherboard and processor were not the problems, as I can run my ocz pc4200 @ 260 (4xhtt) and 9x multi stock vcore on my winnie memtest and prime stable overnight.

I have not proven that my batch of memory, the new ones are winbond, but judging from mwongs post I think they are, I still gotta get my hands on either a dfi mobo or a ddr booster.

Quoted from mwong

Our UltraX Series uses either Samsung TCCD or Winbond BH5 chips.
    Here is a link to the geil forums. Please note mwongs post.

http://www.geilusa.com/forum2/topic....91&whichpage=2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, as I wrote in the New RAM List we already received many of them in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher!
    Yeah, as I wrote in the New RAM List we already received many of them in Italy.
    I see, then I have to get my ddr booster then. So I can test this baby!
    I really don't want to hope too much though.
    But im excited!

version 2.0
    mine are definetly TCCD PN 0746 SN5000092
    270Mhz 2,5-3-3-5 at only 2,65v

Xtreme Member
    Add me to the list... I purchased 2x512 Ultra-X 3200 last week and I was hoping to hit 275 with 2.5-4-4-7, bs... my mobo+cpu+vidcard+ram is with Angry (dfi street) for further testing. As of this morning 6.06am he managed to reach 260 2-2-2-8 at 3.3 volt with 0 memtest errors... He will continue to push them... Thanks to AG+Viper.

THE question: does $260 worth it??? should I try a RMA for TCDD?

ONLY paranoia survives
    Last edited by ooztuncer; 03-18-2005 at 07:30 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ooztuncer
    Add me to the list... I purchased 2x512 Ultra-X 3200 last week and I was hoping to hit 275 with 2.5-4-4-7, bs... my mobo+cpu+vidcard+ram is with Angry (dfi street) for further testing. As of this morning 6.06am he managed to reach 260 2-2-2-8 at 3.3 volt with 0 memtest errors... He will continue to push them... Thanks to AG+Viper.

ONLY paranoia survives
    TCCD are out of production. You can't RMA anything because they respect GeIL specifications: 2-2-2-5 @ 200Mhz.

Bye.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ooztuncer

ONLY paranoia survives
    LOL man, look @ my quote:

We are receiving many of them here in Italy.
    Latest PC 3200 Ultra-X are all BH5 on BP PCB (~260 Mhz @ 3,3V with 2-2-2-8).
    Your GeIL Ultra-X exactely overclock as I supposed.

My nose works really fine!

Xtreme Member
    My nose works really fine!
    Unbelievable, you quoted that yesterday huh - if AG saw that he would kill u - he was dealing with this "assumed TCDD" chips for last 3 days hehe!!!

Well, one thing I suppose, is that GEIL should take out the reviews of the old ultra x pc 3200 in their website.
    And they should subject the new batches for review again.
    As this is very misleading for us customers.
    As most people ( like me ) expect to see high overclock at low volts. But then they will have to get either a dfi motherboard, or a ddr booster or a vdimm mod.

By the way ooztuncer, how high can you overclock your geil if you are on 2.85 volts only?
    My motherboard is a k8n neo 2 platinum and only supports 2.85v max.
    My ddr booster is yet to arrive so I am just curious.
    Thanks
    Last edited by meateater; 03-18-2005 at 08:29 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meateater
    Well, one thing I suppose, is that GEIL should take out the reviews of the old ultra x pc 3200 in their website.
    As this is very misleading for us customers. :angry:
    As most people ( like me ) expect to see high overclock at low volts. But then they will have to get either a dfi motherboard, or a ddr booster or a vdimm mod.
    I absolutely agree!!! Yesterday I prepared one page word document especially for GEIL customer service (but didn't send it yet) - if you want I can share it and we can start protesting them. Some part from my document:

QUOTE: I enjoy reading hardware news and reviews. For me, user views and some online hardware review sites are guidelines before purchasing a product. I read nothing but EXTREMELY good comments on Ultra-X modules. Some examples might be Anandtech review published on 08/20/2004, Madshrimps review on 01/17/2005, tons of good comments and overclocking success stories on extremesystems, dfi-street, and other forums. All of them (including reviews) could reach really high fsb’s (>275Mhz) with these modules. Especially those reviews and comments directed me to buy Geil Ultra-X ram, not G.Skill, Mushkin, Corsair, etc.

...If it is not possible, can I return my RAM, because I do not think that the premium on this package matches what you promote? (I am mentioning reviews, comments, and marketing).

Please share this e-mail with your manager before replying me with an answer. And please explain me the situation if you decided not to use TCDD chips in your modules. I am really sorry for this long e-mail; however you can see this as an opportunity to keep touch with customers closely. QUOTE

I think it's a SHAME to use Ultra-X label on Winbond chips because we EXPECT to get TCDD... Ideas - comments?

Xtreme Member
    By the way ooztuncer, how high can you overclock your geil if you are on 2.85 volts only?
    Thanks
    I have NO idea coze every part is with Angry...

ooztuncer, the sample from your letter seems cool.
    can you email it to me?
    I will pm you my email address.
    One thing we cannot stress, is the fact that geil did not claim in the website itself that the chips they used are tccd chips.
    One thing we can really ask, is for them to remove the old reviews, as they cannot be reproduced or replicated, even with the same specs, since its now bh5 not tccd.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I never thought I'd see the day when people would complain about recieving BH-5
    £58.73 - This is the amount of money a loyal customer is worth to Overclockers.co.uk

Beware of buying from overclockers.co.uk, they will swindle you by abusing the consumer law if they need to refund you for faulty hardware. Thieving gits

Quote Originally Posted by GazC
    Hehe, Actually im fine with the new bh5, its just that I feel that geil somehow fooled me. As I expect high oc on low volts. Thats the reason i got my msi motherboard.
    But now, I still have to get a ddr booster to run it.
    Im from a third world country so stuff like this matters. As computer parts are expensive.

Xtreme Addict

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

hijon, yes that is the stuff alright...
    Its a great buy if you have a dfi motherboard, since bh5's can work on both amd and intel.

Xtreme Addict
    hijon, yes that is the stuff alright...
    Its a great buy if you have a dfi motherboard, since bh5's can work on both amd and intel.
    Hmm, I would try some of this stuff out if only OCZ VX didn't exist

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Quote Originally Posted by GazC
    Same here.

Got news? Post it HERE

Xtreme Enthusiast
    As this is very misleading for us customers.

Thanks
    Yeah. I agree.

Fortunately I have TCCD ones .

Perhaps with 2,85V you don't go past 220.
    Last edited by Punisher!; 03-18-2005 at 11:49 PM.
    Puni's rig _.->*new?D*<-._ PRIME STABLE OC - CLICK HERE: Cooler Master HAF X NVIDIA EDITION Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 + AMD FX-8350 @210x21=4,42Ghz blue voltages (NB/HT @2320Mhz/2730Mhz) + Asus/Zotac GTX580 SLI @851-1702/4204Mhz 1,063V + 8GB of Samsung 30nm DDR3 @1966Mhz 9-9-9-27 1,5V | Caviar Black 3TB SATA III RAID0 | BenQ XL2420TX NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Lightboost ready | Win7x64 | 3DMark11 - CLICK HERE | 3DMark Vantage - CLICK HERE

Aarrgh, I really envy the people with the tccd chips!
    I still havent gotten the ddr booster yet. I will get it tomorrow.
    I will post my results when I get it.

Ebay Hater
    Hmm, so Intel doesnt like TCCD? Shame, thats what I'm going to be running with my 530 + 915P T12

If you have 260 2-2-2 why are you complaining? Great RAM!
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

juliette, I am not able to reach 260 @ 2-2-2-X for now, since I havent gotten my ddr boosters yet.
    My motherboard max is 2.85volts.
    But still, is about 3.3volts safe for everyday use?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    juliette, I am not able to reach 260 @ 2-2-2-X for now, since I havent gotten my ddr boosters yet.
    My motherboard max is 2.85volts.
    But still, is about 3.3volts safe for everyday use?
    If ram likes it yes.
    Puni's rig _.->*new?D*<-._ PRIME STABLE OC - CLICK HERE: Cooler Master HAF X NVIDIA EDITION Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 + AMD FX-8350 @210x21=4,42Ghz blue voltages (NB/HT @2320Mhz/2730Mhz) + Asus/Zotac GTX580 SLI @851-1702/4204Mhz 1,063V + 8GB of Samsung 30nm DDR3 @1966Mhz 9-9-9-27 1,5V | Caviar Black 3TB SATA III RAID0 | BenQ XL2420TX NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Lightboost ready | Win7x64 | 3DMark11 - CLICK HERE | 3DMark Vantage - CLICK HERE

Xtreme Member
    Is there a sign or a different serial so as to know which is which?

Quote Originally Posted by georgesod
    Is there a sign or a different serial so as to know which is which?
    im afraid not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast