Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: two little tips about DFi NF4 board

Banned

two little tips about DFi NF4 board

Just chat with oskar couple minutes ago,
    here you guys gotta be aware of.

1. whenever you wanna change hardware, you must completely shut down your psu, certainly the standby switch too.
    wait for the two orange leds completely off 10 seconds BEFORE you add/remove hardware ; or you might damage your hardware or motherboard.

2.after you flash bios if you are thinking use 5v rail for vdimm extension, you need to set vcore for non-auto setting and save bios then come back into bios, then you can see 4v option. It's probably the 1.25 and 2.01 bios got this circuit protection.

Looks like easy concept, but it's really easy to forget.
    any problem we can discuss here.!
    Hope it helps.

OPB

Xtreme Member
    thx 4 the tips

might come in handy when i get mine

Xtreme Member
    "1. whenever you wanna change hardware, you must completely shut down your psu, certainly the standby switch too.
    wait for the two orange leds completely off 10 seconds BEFORE you add/remove hardware ; or you might damage your hardware or motherboard.
    "

Is this a quirk of the dfi board or a tip for all motherboards?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pudds
    "1. whenever you wanna change hardware, you must completely shut down your psu, certainly the standby switch too.
    "

Is this a quirk of the dfi board or a tip for all motherboards?

Either way I think..but looks like Oskar is really serious about this concern.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it says something similar in the msi manual, also mentions that you must remove power cables, it says its because several pins on the chipset are incredibly sensitive to ESD problems. nforce issue by the sounds of it.
    Mail Me | 3500+ , dfi sli-dr, g-skill la, 2x6800gt, 600w pcz, stacker case, air cooled

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    THX OPB - it's always nice to know how concerned You are about our "healthy"..........
    Previous system:

DFI NF4 ULTRA 0453A3 KOREA CHIPSET / BIOS 510-2FIX / FX-57 0516WPMW@3.62GHZ / 2x256 CORSAIR 3200LLPT BH-5@13x278MHZ 2-2-2-5@3.69VDIMM / MACH II GT@MOD BY BERKUT / ACTIVE COOLING FOR RAM - MOSFETS - GPU RAM / CHIPSET & GPU CORE WATERCOOLED / OCZ POWERSTEAM 600W / BUILT BY ATI X850XT@660/651 - VGPU@1.73-VDD@2.26-VDDQ@2.21 PENCIL MOD / WIN XP 2x80GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT SP80 SATA - RAID 0 & WIN 2K 40GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT SP40 IDE BENCH DRIVE / PIC

----------------><------------------

whooops, how about just changin ram slots?? initially plugged the rams into the wrong slots...so i switched powered off the mobo with ez switch but i did not wait for the orange led to go off, i just switchd the rams into 2 and 4...the system is still running now of course but did i damage the board? Is it so easily damaged?

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Onepagebook
    Just chat with oskar couple minutes ago,
    here you guys gotta be aware of.

[color=red]1. whenever you wanna change hardware, you must completely shut down your psu, certainly the standby switch too.
    i always do that.. not new but hey worth the reminder
    ---

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for keeping us updated.
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000
    i always do that.. not new but hey worth the reminder

Yup me too.. Ive been in the habit of hitting the power switch after the psu is unplugged to discharge all the power in the system before I touch it..

so wait, what's the proper procedure for doing this? just wanna make sure i don't mess up hehe, so i power off computer, unplug psu power cord, then press computer power switch to make sure all charge is drained? then what's that about the standby switch on psu?
    MAIN RIG: LANPARTY .................................................. ................. SECONDARY RIG: INTO ETERNITY
    DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS 5/10-2fix).................................. Epox 8RDA (BIOS 3.05.03)
    Winnie 3200+ @ 260x10 - 1.488v............................................ ....... Barton 2500+ @ 200x11 - 1.800v
    2x1024MB Gskill HZ PC4000 1:1 @ 3-4-4-8 @ 2.5v......................... 2x512MB Gskill PC3200 2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.6v
    Sapphire X1900XT (745/840) 1.575v/2.130v................................... ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Stock)
    SAMSUNG HD160JJ 160GB SATA2 ............................................... Maxtor IDE 120 GB 7200RPM 8MB
    BenQ DW1620 16x DVD Burner............................................ .......... Cheap DVD-ROM
    OCZ Powerstream 520WADJ .................................................. ........ Custom Modded and Modulated Antec True430
    Cooled by A64 TDX, DD Dual HC, MAZE4 GPU.............................. Cooled by D-tek Spir@l, Pro heatercore,
    2x Sanyo Denki 120mm @ 7v, Swiftech MCP600, .......................... 2x Aluminum 120mm @ 7v, Swiftech MCP600,

Xtreme Member
    Good to know, because I spent ALL DAY yesterday troubleshooting.........my CPU didn't know if it was coming or going I had to rebuild so many times yesterday.
    Antec SX 1045Bll
    OCZ 520 Adj. Powerstream PSU
    A64 4000+ San Diego @ 2.8Ghz
    XP-90 w/92mm Vantec Tornado
    DFI LanParty nF4 SLi-DR
    4x512 GSkill PC4400LE
    HTT255x11 3xHT DDR510 2.5-3-3-11 1:1
    NEC3500 16X DVD +/- RW
    BFG 7800GTX OC
    3DMark01
    My RIGS

XSDCMF
    Thanks for the heads up.

What is that standby switch to which you refer? What is meant by that?
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Thx, helpfull tips for non pro users
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe / Q6600 G0 3.2Ghz (400x8) @ 1.31V / 2x2Gb G.Skill F2-8800 PC2-1100 1.90V / Corsair HX620 / Noctua NH-U12P / 1x7200.11 640 Gb / BenQ G2400W / Asus DRW-2014L1T / Windows XP uE 2008.1

Quote Originally Posted by serlv
    Thanks for the heads up.

What is that standby switch to which you refer? What is meant by that?
    i think he meant the switch on the psu?

anyway before this post was made, i actually did not turn off my powersupply switch nor did i unplugged the 24pin from the board, i just switched rams havin the orange led on but it still works fine now so i doubt the board is so easily damaged...other boards dont require you to actually power off everything(like your psu and disconnect the 24pin) from the board itself just to change a ram slot or connect another hdd or optical drive.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by THunDA
    Yup me too.. Ive been in the habit of hitting the power switch after the psu is unplugged to discharge all the power in the system before I touch it..
    Good to know I'm not the only one :banana4:
    Want your news on the front page? Click here!

Xtreme Member
    Is it possible the DFI boards have issues with TCCD rams? my Patriot TCCD is giving me trouble when I install Windows with some files not copying over to the hard drive. Also I made a mistake initially plugging in the power LED and the HDD Led front connectors. Is it possible that I damaged it and that's why the LED's aren't on even though the CPU and the HDD is connected?

c[_]
    flip the connectors over, probably have them upside down.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    flip the connectors over, probably have them upside down.
    You think? Because I have them facing down. The ATX Switch and the reset buttons work and they're all facing down if you know what I mean.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
    You think? Because I have them facing down. The ATX Switch and the reset buttons work and they're all facing down if you know what I mean.
    Turn them around and it'll work.

The power and reset switches work either way as they're nothing but a momentary short, when you press the button, power is allowed to flow, hell... you can start a system with a screw driver if you touch the right spot.

Just turn them all around and everything will work and light up fine.

Xtreme Member
    Are you serious? Flip them? I have never had anything like that before...Just so that there isn't any confusion, I took some pictures to describe what I mean with the connectors facing down. The LEDS are not working when the connectors are facing down.

http://members.shaw.ca/Sgt_Strider/7.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/Sgt_Strider/8.jpg

Are you serious? Flip them? I have never had anything like that before...Just so that there isn't any confusion, I took some pictures to describe what I mean with the connectors facing down. The LEDS are not working when the connectors are facing down.

http://members.shaw.ca/Sgt_Strider/7.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/Sgt_Strider/8.jpg
    L.E.D had polarity, if it don't works then flip it around...the wording face the other way. those sw had no polarity so no concern.....
    --------------------------
    AMD X2-4200+ 2.68G @1.39v
    DFI SLI-D
    Corsair XMS 1024 XLPT
    Sparkle 6600GT
    OCZ 420w / HEC 350w
    --------------------------

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDnewbie
    L.E.D had polarity, if it don't works then flip it around...the wording face the other way. those sw had no polarity so no concern.....
    What do you mean by Polarity and how does that have to do with the Power and Reset switch?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THunDA
    I do the excact same thing

Check me out here--> http://www.MySpace.com/Klisp_

Xtreme Member
    What do you mean by Polarity and how does that have to do with the Power and Reset switch?
    LOL... stop asking so many questions and just rotate them around. Trust us will you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast