Thread: Winchester Cold Issues due to CPU?

-100c Club Member

Winchester Cold Issues due to CPU?

This is what I've found so far.
    I've had 4 winchester of recent that went throgh phase cooling.
    (previous 4 was total failure).
    2 chips boots fine no matter what temp, 1 chip doesn't like booting past -20c, 1 chip is marginalized around -54c.
    This tells me something new on what I thought was mobo problem. Maybe there is enough difference between each winchester CPU's on die temp diode to the point where it isn't measured reliably at all. Which does worry me on how well it is really built.... tolerance of 30c+ is not a small number if you know what I mean.
    Just food for some thought.
    As for me, I will be selling 3 winnies, return 1 to fry's, and hoping one I am getting monday is newcastle that does decent, or moving onto FX-55.
    BTW, after about 8 winchesters, 3 seal strings, broken Mach II (while mounting, I managed to crack the hose)... I think I should have just gotten FX-55 in first place. Well, one of the winchester will be running on air to see if it can clock close to what it did on phasecooling as there seems to be some strange behavior.... Will be interesting to see what happens than.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hahaha, if you can afford to buy and then re-sell 3 Winnies why wouldn't you just get a 55? You'd be cruising along at ~3.3+ a long time ago
    .:: S939 FX-53 (240x11 1:1) | 2x512 Ballistix DDR400 (2.5-3-2-10) | MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (1.36b) | x800 Pro VIVO -> XT (575/590) | 21" Viewsonic G220fb | Lian Li PC75b ::.

Aquamark 3 : 84367
    3DMark 2001 : 31717
    3DMark 2003 : 14313
    3DMark 2005 : 6580

Coming Soon : Silverprop HL Fusion (GPU), S-TDX (CPU), Weapon 2-302 Heatercore / Shroud, 50Z, Aquatube (special thanks to MaxxxRacer & Ancient_1) | UV / Case organization
    Coming when I can afford it : Vapochill LS or Mach 2 GT for CPU | FX-55

Sandoval

re

it took me 1 subpar winnie to decide to move to fx55. unfortunately, the fx i got was also a subpar clocker, but i'm still super happy with the purchase

i7 980x | corsair dominator 6x4 Gb | TJ07
    SLI GTX 580x2 | GT430 | rampage 3 | corsair AX1200
    LSI 9265 | OCZ vertex 128x4 raid0 | corsair c300 | hitachi 3tbx3 |
    blocks: cpu hk 3.0 | gpu aquacomputer 580x2 | mb ek re3 fc | ram bitspower galaxy
    pump: laing d5 x2 | res: koolance 452x2
    rad: TC 120.3 120.2 | scythe GTx5
    NASs: qnap 879 8x3tb | thecus N5200 2tbx5

Xtreme Addict
    EZ to say cuddles......
    Zen2 Has brought AMD back!

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jikdoc
    it took me 1 subpar winnie to decide to move to fx55. unfortunately, the fx i got was also a subpar clocker, but i'm still super happy with the purchase
    How sub par it is? doc. We almost have the same config. and I can reached 3.39 benched. Imo all batches of fx from all weeks of prod. should perform on par

Xtreme Member
    Tried a Winnie on K8N n' AV8
    No luck
    Now on FX
    Rock stable

Sandoval

subpar

my max stable oc on this fx is 3.12 which is not far from what some people can get on water. i might be doing something horribly wrong in my overclock but i've seen some people with max stable oc's around what i run. if you're in the nyc area u want to come over and give a shot at oc'n my rig?

blocks: cpu hk 3.0 | gpu aquacomputer 580x2 | mb ek re3 fc | ram bitspower galaxy

XIP
    try 3x on htt. fsb 270x12, cool&quiet off and vcore 10% at 1.525 or 1.55. I use 1.41mod bios. Hope this will work
    Edit: on ls....both fans 100% and heaters at 50%
    Last edited by Dumo; 12-18-2004 at 05:42 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzz
    EZ to say cuddles......
    True, but there is something to it. If you can afford a pile of WC, then why not go FX-55 instead? 4 x WC doing 2.8ghz are not faster than a single FX @ 3ghz

WC are overrated, anyways

Sandoval

thanks dumo

thanks dumo, but i've tried all those things. htt3x, vcore up ro 1.8 on 1.36bios. i haven't use the heaters at 50% though, i'll give that a go.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If its a CPU problem due to the on die temp diode then I'd bet its cuz AMD doesn't build thier chips to run at sub zero temps, not necessarily cuz the on die temp diode is broken or something...

Remember, overclocking is something that is unsupported and if you should get a sub par overclock or not be able to overclock at all than that is no fault of AMD/Intel/your motherboard manufacturer.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mesyn191
    If its a CPU problem due to the on die temp diode then I'd bet its cuz AMD doesn't build thier chips to run at sub zero temps, not necessarily cuz the on die temp diode is broken or something...
    But that wouldn't explain why some do sub zero well and others don't? In the above scenario, it would either all of them, or none at all.

Remember, overclocking is something that is unsupported and if you should get a sub par overclock or not be able to overclock at all than that is no fault of AMD/Intel/your motherboard manufacturer.
    If that was %100 true, then OC wouldn't be possible at all. I would actually say, that it not true at all. It should be very simple, to prevent any kind of OC, be it the CPU, VPU, mobo, RAM etc, if the respective companies didn't support it.

If AMD, Intel, DFI, MSI etc. didn't support OC, why don't they eliminate the options to do so? That would also prevent any "unethical/unlawful" RMA.

"Mysteriously" enough, inspite of the RMA angle, they have all chosen not to do so.

Point is, they do support it, just not officially. They can't officially, because that would invite alot of potential problems.

I am sure some part of AMD, takes pride and is happy, that the top forming rigs of the world, all have the FX-55 under the hood. ATI certainly made a big deal out of the X800 + Macci = 1st place on ORB, before the card was released officially.
    Last edited by Tek; 12-18-2004 at 11:00 AM.

-100c Club Member
    Now I am binned stupid instead of being informative on winchester cold boot issue. Nice.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jinu117
    Now I am binned stupid instead of being informative on winchester cold boot issue. Nice.
    No you're not, not me anyways. I think, your tests and all of those WC, have provided alot of good and very useful info. Your initial post says piles about what the problem(s) could be: the CPU itself, not anything else, if I have understood it all correctly.

My own comments was directed at those, who seem to chase the "magical Winchester with leprechauns pixie dust", and use alot of money at the same time trying. I know, it could appear differently, but I value the info you have provided, and I don't think you're stupid.

On the contrary, instead of going after the "magical WC..." and reporting back either: "OMG WC = rulez" or "OMG WC = sux", you have dealt with alot of the issues surrounding this "infamous" core and shed some more light on the issues.

Thank you for all of this, sorry for the OT and if my remarks was taken as offensive