Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Athlon 64/XP overclocking guide

XS D2OL & RAM News

Athlon 64/XP overclocking guide

**Update** June 30, 2005
    Went through some of the history and updated, updated the processors in the guide alittle.

**Update** June 18, 2005
    Added new processors to the guide. Still here

**Update** April 16th, 2005
    Go here to find the latest revision of the guide. I've got a processor table also in that directory. The processor table is in Open Office.org format and in Excel format as well. If needed in other formats, contact me. -jjcom

Hey,
    As the title might sugest, this is a overclocking guide. Saaya and I were bouncing ideas back and forth about different things and this was the result.

http://home.mindspring.com/~jjiles1/

I'll always have the word latest in the latest guide so go for that one, I'll be keeping the old ones on the server incase I delete something I shouldn't, you guys just want to look at it, etc. Anyway, I need some feedback, theres only so much I can do on my own. This guide is to be for people new to overclocking so don't start giving me this volt mod stuff. Keep it simple, something that someone new to OCing can understand. BUT if you give me those sugestions I may make a similar guide with more info (Board quirks, RAM problems on certain boards, etc) I don't know about that one, but if I can I'll do it. I'll have 2 weeks around X-mas where I can do stuff so that should work....

Saaya, Ressurection, and a few others have helped me out on this, so thanks for answering my questions, looking it over, point out errors, etc.

jjcom

EDIT: just found out you guys don't like using external links, sorry.
    EDIT2: OK I got that cleared up, it appears I just shouldn't have links in my sig going to out side website, but its alright to have the link to my personal web space here. I'll probly have the latest ones here on XS and move the old ones to the server. So consider the server for archives

jjcom
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jjcom; 06-29-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Link needs editing JJ leads to Earthlink Homepage.

XS D2OL & RAM News
    alright, fixed...the link in my sig is broken as well...mmmm...I thought it worked..lol o'well

thanks
    jjcom

Xtreme Recruit
    I like it alot, tons of info. I only really read the last 2 pages and it seems really good / well written. Good job :P

XS D2OL & RAM News
    thanks, I spent awhile trying to get it right before I started this thread, only letting a few people see it at first, not like its a secret or anything, I just didn't want to lead anyone astray..

jjcom

Xtreme Member
    Nice job, very useful. Thanks!
    Asus P4C800ED P-M 730@2.8 7700Cu
    2X1GB OCZ - ATI X800XT AIW - OCZ PS 520W

XS D2OL & RAM News
    anything that needs changing? Cleaning up? made more clear?

jjcom

Xtreme Member
    Its a very good guide. Like suggestion it could be useful to talk about memory timmings in AXP and A64.

Good Job!

XS D2OL & RAM News
    *UPDATE*
    Added more to the RAM timings section on the guide. Thanks for the idea corvus_corax!

jjcom

Xtreme Member
    sweet guide, very usefull.
    AMD FX-55
    DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-D
    2x512 OCZ PC4000 VX
    OCZ Powerstream 520w
    2x eVGA 6800GT SLI
    2 Western Digital Raptors 74GB RAID 0

Chilly1 Modded Mach II -67C

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just finished proofreading and editing your guide, jjcom (the latest update). Great stuff! I have attached a copy that I edited. Most of the changes are simple grammatical issues, but I also changed a few small things about RAM voltage and heat spreaders, and critical CPU temps. I also added my name at the end in the "thanks to" section because I'm selfish.

Heatspreaders DO NOT cool RAM any better than having them "naked", they just look really cool. 2.8V is a safe voltage for any DDR RAM, so I included that.

Also, in the interest of keeping newbies safe, I changed the highest recommended CPU temp to "50 C or so". I know you operate your CPU at higher temps, but I've found that not every CPU (only tested AXPs, though) will be stable above 50 C.

I didn't mean to be nitpicky but I thought some of the points were worth clarifying. You don't have to keep the technical changes I made, but I just thought I'd throw them out there. Excellent job on the guide!
    Last edited by mcnbns; 11-27-2004 at 08:58 AM.
    7700k @ 5.0GHz
    ASUS Z170-Deluxe
    2x8GB Avexir Raiden DDR4-3000 15-15-15-35
    Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti @ 2076/1500(6000)
    512GB Samsung PM961 + 840 Pro 256GB + some TBs
    Corsair AX1200i
    X-Star DP2710LED @ 110Hz + 40" Samsung TV

CPU and GPU under water: 9x120 rad + 3x120 + 3x120

...and an HTC Vive!

XS D2OL & RAM News
    thanks...I'd just heard someone (maybe here..(?) say that about RAM before and I thought it made sense...it had something to do with cooling of RAM...what was it...o'well I'll remember at some point..lol maybe
    no its not bad that you added your name to the thanks section.
    I like the changes you made..very infomitive. thanks!

jjcom

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm here to help.
    7700k @ 5.0GHz
    ASUS Z170-Deluxe
    2x8GB Avexir Raiden DDR4-3000 15-15-15-35
    Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti @ 2076/1500(6000)
    512GB Samsung PM961 + 840 Pro 256GB + some TBs
    Corsair AX1200i
    X-Star DP2710LED @ 110Hz + 40" Samsung TV

CPU and GPU under water: 9x120 rad + 3x120 + 3x120

...and an HTC Vive!

XS D2OL & RAM News
    I read, instead of just skimming through. I like what you did. You reworded a few things so its easier to understand...I like to go off on a limb some times...lol so thats good you kept me from confusing new people. Thanks for doing that grammar check thing, could you tell I'm not great with that sort a thing?

jjcom

Thumbs up

I must say that I truely enjoyed reading your article...not only was it easy to read and follow but I was able to walk away from it understanding the concept of o/c'ing better (I have read several articles but this one kinda just stuck to me "mobetter". There seems to be wealth of information here on this site and I know I will make an effort to visit frequently. If I do post some questions just remember, I am not stupid... just ignorant.

thanks

jd
    Last edited by drifter106; 11-28-2004 at 10:25 PM. Reason: grammar

Xtreme Member
    havent read it yet as its 2am, but found 1 thing to add, theres also a 2400 Barton, doesnt stop at 2500 :p

yes i know very small thing, but you asked for changes :p

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the guide!

XS D2OL & RAM News

Update

*UPDATE*
    Athlon XP 2400 Barton added

all updates added will be added to the guide that was grammar checked/corrected, thanks

jjcom

XS D2OL & RAM News
    IDEA! I know its scary

Could people post some steppings for the AXP/A64s that overclock well?

jjcom

jjcom.. that thing is nuts.. a 10 page guide to overclocking... hell by the time i could get done reading that thing i would have.. well i dont know what i would have done.. but yah...

good article from what i say.

about the steppings... the weeks dont seem to matter so much as of now. the new week 41 winnies are insanely inconsistent. some ppl are hitting 2.4ghz while others are hitting 2.9... with the axp's its better though.. not sure about nc's though.

XS D2OL & RAM News
    yeah, now that the fabs have the making of the chips down, it doesn't matter as much for the AXPs. The A64s on the 130nm...it depends on the chip. the 2.6 Claw and the .6 NC seem to be doing well...from something like week 35 and on up. So sometimes weeks matter, but they matter less as time goes on.

jjcom

Xtreme Mentor
    are you planning on writing one for P4 systems? (prescott mainly but northwood would be nice) my friend is trying to learn and i would teach him but he lives in a different state and with work and school i dont have time to write up a nice manual like that...

Xtreme Addict
    nice guide i read the first it was a bit hard to follow but will be good i can tell
    wat are the 2.6 and .6 chips i keep hearing about them but i dont know what they are
    Quote Originally Posted by bh2k
    sorry m, OI'm a bit drunkz!
    Air benches with 3000+, DFI nf3 and 6800GT 2001SE: 26312 3d03: 13028

XS D2OL & RAM News
    I believe its something like .6 NC and 2.6CH...they seem to overclock higher and no one is sure as to why. I believe the theory was they used some type of SS, but we don't know.

Pentium 4 overclocking guide...darn a beat me to it , I already typed a little up if you like to see it.

jjcom

Xtreme Mentor
    im not saying im making one, i wish i could but with school and work i dont have the time, im just saying that if you do have the time it might be apprectiated by some people in this forum and some friends of mine, you can PM me what you have already if you want... i wouldnt mind reading it and telling you what i think.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast