Thread: VDIMM bad for AMD64?

Xtreme Member

VDIMM bad for AMD64?

Just how sensetive are A64s to high VDIMM settings? I never stopped to think it might be an issue for the memory controller. But I just purchased a AV8/3500+ and 1GB OCZ Platinum PC4200, as well as OCZ DDR Booster. The DDR Booster manual mentions something about A64s possibly getting damaged with VDIMM over 2.65v.

Obviously, they can take more than that, they are overclockable afterall, and Im sure the warning is just a cautionary thing. But, are they really more sensetive than your standard Northbridge? Is VDIMM actually even related to the signal paths? I figured it was just some sort of gate voltage that only affected the SDRAM.

Anyway, Im just curious if anyone has actually damaged their CPUs by cranking VDIMM.

Im also curious if the DDR booster works in the AV8 still. Ive heard reports that it does, but not sure which slots to try it in. Any help there would be great as well. Im hoping this thing cranks up.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Player0
    Just how sensetive are A64s to high VDIMM settings? I never stopped to think it might be an issue for the memory controller. But I just purchased a AV8/3500+ and 1GB OCZ Platinum PC4200, as well as OCZ DDR Booster. The DDR Booster manual mentions something about A64s possibly getting damaged with VDIMM over 2.65v.

Obviously, they can take more than that, they are overclockable afterall, and Im sure the warning is just a cautionary thing. But, are they really more sensetive than your standard Northbridge? Is VDIMM actually even related to the signal paths? I figured it was just some sort of gate voltage that only affected the SDRAM.

Anyway, Im just curious if anyone has actually damaged their CPUs by cranking VDIMM.

Im also curious if the DDR booster works in the AV8 still. Ive heard reports that it does, but not sure which slots to try it in. Any help there would be great as well. Im hoping this thing cranks up.
    It seems to be issue with clawhammers. I would definitely avoid DDR booster if you can get TCCD memory, you don't need higher voltage for that.
    My problem with DDR booster is the inability to pass Prime95 test while using high voltage with chips. That is a matter of concern to me, I believe that is the memory controller problem.
    Personally after using it, I think DDR Booster is a piece of crap. It works only for BH-5 (other memory gets really hot) and it works only in a limited number of boards and increases a risk of blowing up memory, CPU, or dimm socket. All of that for $50? I think it is not worthy.
    Last edited by joe2004; 11-23-2004 at 12:17 PM.

I am Xtreme
    There were early reports of VDIMM killing A64s. Never heard of any newcastles or winnies dying from VDIMM. The early deaths were probley from bad volt mods that gave inconsistant VDIMM shooting all over the place and or early memory controlers being uber sensitive.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've been running my system with 3.2v+ 24/7 for a while now. No problems yet.
    Bedroom: D201GLY2, Celeron 220 (1.2ghz/512k cache); 1gb DDR2 PC-5300; Geforce 6200 PCI
    -----------------
    Gaming: Core 2 Duo E4500@2.93ghz (266x11); Abit IP35-E; 3gb Crucial Ballistix PC5300@400mhz (4-4-4-15); XFX Geforce 8800GS@680/800 10123 3dmark06
    -----------------
    HTPC: Athlon 64 X2 BE-2300 (1.9ghz); ECS mATX mb; 2gb Crucial PC5300; Radeon HD2600 Pro 256mb (DXVA HA in BD and HD-DVD)

Originally posted by Thunderbird1Ghz(Geforce4Ti4200) at Sharky Forums
    And you arent gonna believe this, but that DVD rom will even read regular CD roms!!!!!!!

Xtreme Member
    For the moment my A64 setup is running @ 3.5vddr, no problems yet .
    P5N32-E SLI PLUS - E6600 @3.6GHz - 2GB Team Xtreem - ASUS 7950GX2 - 3*74GB RAID 0 - 4*500GB RAID5 (ARECA 1210) - Lian Li PC2000

Xtreme Mentor
    I have been giving a CG clawhammer 3.6V for about a month now. I think I killed a C0 with 3.6V though.
    For those of you about to post:

Xtremely Large Member
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside
    There were early reports of VDIMM killing A64s. Never heard of any newcastles or winnies dying from VDIMM. The early deaths were probley from bad volt mods that gave inconsistant VDIMM shooting all over the place and or early memory controlers being uber sensitive.
    If I remember correctly, the problem was people setting the vdimm with the pot, then using the vdimm options in the BIOS to change the voltage, apparently it was causing mad voltage spikes and blowing the CPU's memory controller as a result.
    I've heard it all, I've seen it all, I've done it all. I just don't remember any of it.

DFI LanParty UT NF3 | A-64 3200+ | 1Gb OCZ EL DDR PC-3500 Limited Edition
    Radeon X800XT | Audigy 2 | 2x WD 74Gb Raptors | 60Gb IBM | 20Gb Maxtor
    OCZ PowerStream 520w | Mach II GT Cooled