Thread: 6800 Water Cooling Options??

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

6800 Water Cooling Options??

well, my old dangerden maze 4 unfortunatly doesn't fit my new 6800 Non Ultra, like my old EVGA did.
    so I need a new waterblock.
    I figure I will sell this Maze4 and get something that does fit.

I looked at the big dangerden 6800 block and while it looks great and all, the design makes it very hard for me to work with, cause the barbs face straight up, and not outward, and they don't look like they could be easily modded to another position.
    so I am really not too interested in that block.
    but so far it looks like the easiest cooling solution there is...

I looked at polarflows VGA block here but the problem is, it just doesn't look like it would fit a 6800 in the slightest.
    looks like a great block, but just doesn't look like it will fit the 6800's...

other then this, theres swiftech.
    swiftech and me have always been a very bitter sweet combo.
    I love thier build quality.
    just I've never had a swiftech block that actually worked.
    which isn't good in the least.

to make matters worse, I have had the MCW50 before and I sold it out of pure frustration.
    I was trying to adapt it to a 1/2 inch inner diameter tubing to fit my dangerden stuff which was already 1/2 inch...
    but I just could not figure any way to make the thing secure and not leak a waterfall when I turned the pump on. it was a real disaster, and I finally gave up and sold it, simply cause I couldn't see any way to use this block without creating a river at the same time.
    I had what I thought was the right parts.

the 1/2 inch inner diamter barbs, tubing, the block and thats it.
    but nope. it never worked.
    this experience was about a year ago.
    contemplating buying another one of these makes me really really aprehensive, cause my dangerden block is so damn easy to use, that this one just seems like a pain in the ass after what I remember of my last experience.
    me and the MCW50 is like a monkey trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

but I see very very few alternatives to this block.

so my question is...

what exactly do I need to get this to work on a 6800?
    I mean right down to the part number.
    cause I really don't want to get this block again, and just begin to hate swiftech cause they simply won't make a waterblock with barbs on it.
    I don't want to order the parts and have something come the wrong size or anything else, and I don't want to sit there trying to get something to work that should work right out of the box.

my instinct says to get the 1/2 inch diameter barbs.
    the 6800 adaptor kit.
    then the waterblock.

but thats exactly what I had last time, and it didnt work.
    basically, I have no idea what I am doing, when concerned with swiftech stuff, cause I simply have never had a waterblock from them that was easy to use.
    as dumb as that sounds, its the truth.

unless theres a better/easier waterblock out there I can get, I am kinda sure this is the block I have to get, not cause I want it, but cause theres just no other option.

the parts I "think" I need are these.

http://store.yahoo.com/sidewindercom...stto1tuid.html

http://store.yahoo.com/sidewindercom...mcgpucoo1.html

http://store.yahoo.com/sidewindercom...kitfornv1.html

but, other then the 6800 adaptor, this is the exact stuff I had with my first attempt with the MCW50 a year ago that ended so badly.
    the most frustrating thing I remember was there was no instructions on this stuff, nothing, just some plastic parts (a huge pet peeve of mine, that I try to avoid is plastic parts) and some vague ideas of what I thought I had to do.
    but nothing worked...

what I am trying to get is simply this.

what I ended up with, was something that looked like that, but water leaking from every inch around the barbs like a water faucet.

in short... help

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Member
    Try getting an aussi Silverprop HL, which is compatible with the 6800 card, and is all copper/brass=no corrosion. It performs well, but you might have to wait a while to get it.
    Hail to extreme cooling!

I wish I could, but it seems that block is either not in stock, or is being sold by places that seem alittle shady to bother with. It looks like a great block and should do the job well.
    but I don't want a waterblock next month.
    I probably wont even have this card in a month.
    it's just to maximize some benchmarking I got planned soon.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

innovatek has a nice 6800 block I believe cools the ram and gpu
    Intel D975XBX -304
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86 @ 2.350 ghz
    2gb (1gb x 2) PQI Turbo
    2 X BFG 3D Fuzion 7600GT SLI
    Gigabyte 3D RocketPro cooler
    Antec True power 550

ModdersHQ Staff
    put some Plumbers putty on the bard adaptors before putting them in the block or if you feel safe enough doing so silicon them in nice and tight and use plumbers putty to sel it up too.

The Inovatek is nice but comes with the 1/4-3/8" connectors? They are some sort of European style I think.

~Bob
    MSI K9N4 SLI-F / AM2 6000+ / OCZ Gold PC6400 2x1GB + A-DATA 2x1GB = 3.25GB with PAE Enabled XP Pro
    EVGA 8800GTS 320MB / Auzentech Xplosion / 200GB Maxtor ATA133 / COOLER MASTER RC-690 / Scythe SCNJ-1100P / Antec 650w Trio Power

Xtreme Member
    silverprop is the best gpu waterblock, i would try to find one used if i were you. silverprop.com sells the mounting kits individually.
    930 @ 4.4 & P5WD2 (vcore + droop, mch vdd, ddr2 vdd)
    4x512 Micron D9
    7800gtx 600/1470 (vgpu + vdd)
    h20
    my heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Where i can find inovatek for GPU here in US?

Xtreme Member

Personally I'd like one of the silver props, but I just can't find them in america.
    I'd like the dangerden one too, but I just can't see myself popping $125 on a waterblock, I just can't, it's a tough sale to me.
    it also doesn't help that dangerdens minimum shipping costs to alaska is $22.

sidewinder computers has the best shipping available for alaskans.
    it's only $5 for regular USPS shipping.
    thats perfect for me, it means I can get a swiftech MCW50 for $60 total.
    block, barbs, and adaptor kit and shipping in 3 days.
    I wish swiftech would just sell a 6800 waterblock kit instead of nickel and dime me to death, but I can't blame that on sidewinder computers, thats a swiftech issue.

If anyone knows a place to get one of the silverprops with the 6800 kit, let me know soon. otherwise it's probably just swiftech for me...

Xtreme Member
    criticool.com has they for $51.75 + $15 shipping to usa, slow shipping.

best price you can get i new i believe (froogle)
    930 @ 4.4 & P5WD2 (vcore + droop, mch vdd, ddr2 vdd)
    4x512 Micron D9
    7800gtx 600/1470 (vgpu + vdd)
    h20
    my heat

Xtreme Addict
    Kunaak,

I won't use a alum. topped block so I'd share your feelings toward a Swifty, just for differant reasons.

Here is a USA site for the Fusion HL with copper top & if you indicate it's for a 6800 in your order they provide the hardware to mount it on a 6800 with the block at no cost, although they provide it to any Fusion owner for .01$ and shipping anyway.

www.frozenmods.com

Yes it's a pretty new site. But I think you need to consider that Silverprop wasn't really that competitve in the US market up to coming out with the Fusion. I'd bet serious money that this site, or any other in the US or Can., sell more Fusions than CPU blocks that Silverprop makes. The Fusion is doing a good deal for the company, for good reason, it's a top performer. So that's why they are just now finding those willing to take a chance carrying the Silverprop line of blocks.

When you consider that dealing with US customs is a major PITA due to 9/11/01, it's no wonder there are few sites that have them, and those are new except for Criticool.

A second US site, also relativly new. www.bestpcmods.com

They have the brass toped Fusion also, but only in the Fusion SL at this time. Same block inside, but much lower profile for those willing to forgo use of RAM sinks in exchange for a profile low enough that it blocks only one PCI slot, as opposed to the HL which blocks two PCI slots. This site has had the HL version at times in the past, but as it's the better seller it's harder to get, and they aren't showing it when I checked for you a few moments ago.

Hope this is of help.

EDIT: You might also be interested in a new CPU block, here's a link to pH's testing of Cathar'sn newest creation the Storm G4. This block will soon be followed by the G5 which will be a silver version of the Storm.

www.procooling.com

Would be a fantastic combination! Storm & Fusion, the finest of blocks now on the market for both chips. LOL!

I'm already saving for my Storm G5 block and on Cathar's list.
    Last edited by Craig; 10-25-2004 at 02:25 PM.

I managed to find a MCW50 with Barbs installed, on the OCForums for $25 shipped.

I then sold my Dangerden Maze 4 GPU for $25 shipped this afternoon here.

the swiftech is already on its way to me, and the dangerden is getting shipped tommorow.
    I needed some thermal paste, and fans so I just orderd the 6800 kit also from sidewinder computers.
    if all goes well, I should be watercooling this new 6800 by the end of the week

it was too hard of a deal to pass up.
    I'd still love to try the silverprop, it looks like a great block, I just wish they were easier to find in stock so I could get one in a few days, not a few weeks.

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2...=CoolMaticNV40

I just picked up one of these buggers...love it!