Thread: A8V (Questions and important information you should know before buying)

Angry A8V (Questions and important information you should know before buying)

Current System Setup:

Chasis - Lian Li V100
    Power Supply - Enermax 470w Quiet PSU
    Mainboard: Asus A8v
    Memory: Corsair XMS 2-2-2-5 (2 Gigs)
    HDD 1 - Fujitsu 15k U320 + Adaptec 29320A-R
    HDD 2 - WD 250GB
    DVDRom - Nec 2500A (Gonna put the DL firmware on)
    Vid Card - Ati Radeon x800 Pro (not gonan mod the 16 pipes)

Okay So first off -- The Motherboard doesn't detect the proper timings.

Second - I have 4x512 meg dims of this super corsair memory, but my Sisoft Memory tests are like 5000, because of the 2T/1T memory nonsense. I'm not even really overclocking this setup, but it is a MUST to have at least 5900-6000 Sisfot Memory Scores....

With 1 gig of memory everything is fine, with 2 gigs there's a good 20 % performance decrease in memory bandwith.

What do I do? Get 2x1 gig sticks of OCZ 3-3-3-7 ?

Or is there some special trick to get higher bandwith scores ?

Thank you very much in advance...

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Yeah, getting 4 x 512mB of DDR to play nice will be a task.
    Do you have the memory set to run 2:1 (DDR400) And if the board doesn't detect the right timings, just adjust it manually. 1T/2T memory nonsense? Did you just try disabling the 2T command? Those new OCZ EB sticks run just fine in the 512mB size, email the OCZ guys and ask them about 4 x 512mB.

C

Yeah, well the problem with the 939 and the A8v (and maybe with all via chipsets) is that you lose performance by populating all 4 dimm banks. With 2 dim banks, the Corsair runs fine... So I was thinking about getting two 1 gig DIMMs. (OCZ)

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    if you have all these stability and capacity issues, you should have gotten a fx-53/940, sk8v and 2 x 1gB Corsair ECC Reg dDR3200. Stable as a rock.

C

I built a system with a Sk8v + 940. It is rock stable.

The new 939 + A8v has been just as stable. I choose the 939 performance for its newer featueres, and I am happy with the decision beside the problem with populating four dimms.

I would greatly appreciate some advice regarding how to have a 939 setup with 2 gigs of low latency memory and not have to sacrifice the memory bandwith....

Buy 2 1 Gig Chips of OCZ ? Corsair ? ECC ?

What does one do ? Now I have 4 512 megs of 2-2-2-5 Corsair, and if I run them all together I have to sacrifice memory bandwith by disabling 2t in the BIOS

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Like I said, I'd e-mail the OCZ guys and ask if it will work...

C

Thanks for the advice... I'm gonna email OCZ right now and ask them if they can help out...

If anyone in the community has 2 gigs of low latency memory working at full bandwith - PLEASE let me know ASAP....