Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First International Xtremesystems Overclocking Competition RULES

First International Xtremesystems Overclocking Competition RULES

First International Xtremesystems Overclocking Competition

Welcome to the first First International Xtremesystems Overclocking Competition

This post will include final rules, costs, catogorys and prizes.

The graphics card we have chosen to use is the ECS Xabre 200.
    This card has been chosen as its relatively cheap, fast and something a little unusual.

The challenge is to get the highest 3dmark2001 score you can in your chosen class.

The cards will be purchased by Saaya and will be shipped out too all competitors from him, cards not purchased through saaya are not eligable for the competition.
    The competition is now closed to new entrys... however we may run another should there be enough interest.

Results will be listed with our own version of the madonion ORB based around madmark, this is kindly being coded by Richbastard and is hosted on mantion's server.
    The site is allready running as beta and I will update this post with the link as soon as its avalable.

CLASSES.

We have chosen to have several catagories so that everybody has a class they can compete in.

CLASS 1 - Xtreme class.
    Anything goes in this class, any CPU, any cooling, any mods.

CLASS 2 - Socket A under 2.3gig.
    Any Socket A CPU running under 2.3ghz, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), any cooling.

CLASS 3 - Pentium 4 under 2.8gig
    Any Pentium4 processor (not EE) running under 2.8ghz, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), any cooling.

Class 4 - SocketA Aircooled.
    Any Socket A CPU running under 2.3ghz, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), AIR cooling only.

Class 5 - Pentium4 Aircooled
    Any Pentium4 processor (not EE) running under 2.8ghz, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), AIR cooling only.

Class 6 SocketA Watercooled.
    Any Socket A CPU that is Water/Air cooled, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), Water cooling only on graphics card.

Class 7 Pentium 4 Watercooled.
    Any Pentium4 processor (not EE) that is Water/Air cooled, any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap), Water cooling only on graphics card.

Class 8 AMD A64/FX/Opteron/P4 EE
    Any AMD A64/FX/Opteron or Pentium4 EE processor at any overclock and any cooling. Any modifications to graphics card (bar memory chip swap) Any cooling on the graphics card.
    Class 8 added as a result of this post by MrIcee - here

Prizes,
    Provisional prizes for each catagory are as follows.

CLASS 1 - No prize as yet, but a large trophy.
    CLASS 2 - Epox 8KRA2+ Mainboard (donated by Holst)
    Class 3 - OCZ Gold Dual Channel PC4000 Memory (Donated by Liquid3d)
    Class 4 - none as yet
    Class 5 - OCZ Gold Dual Channel PC4000 Memory (Donated by Liquid3d)
    Class 6 - ECS K7S5A Pro Mainboard (Donated by Ctgilles)
    Class 7 - SMC 5-port 10/100Mbps Dual Speed Switch (Donated by Ctgilles)

There may be other prizes avalable, if you do have a prize to donate it will be greatfully received.

We may also run a TEC classes should there be demand for one, if there is a class you beleive we are missing please PM myself or saaya and we will look into adding one.

Misc Rules

Multiple class entries.
    We encorge competitors to enter as many classes as they like, all competitors will automatically be listed in the Xtreme class by there highest score.
    Personally I will start out on air cooling, then move on to water, then probably peltier (if the card lives that long)
    Competitors may only win one prize, should a competitor win multiple classes then they may choose the prize they collect, second place will then collect unclaimed prizes.

Photo Proof's
    We ask that competitors provide a photograph of there systems and gaphics cards if possible. This will both serve as evidence of what cooling is used and will be very interesting to see.
    If a competitor wishes to keep there cooling method secret untill the contest is closed that is acceptable, although they must still notify us of what class/classes they are competing in.
    If you do not have access to a camera and are unable to borrow one then your results will be taken on trust.

Contest Judges.
    The Judges for the contest are myself (Holst) and Saaya, although we are competing we are not eligable for any prizes.

Sportsmanlike conduct.
    Xtremesystems forums are some of the most friendly and trustworthy around. We expect that this spirit of helpfullness and fair play is carried forward into this contest.
    Competitorrs are expected to act in a sportsman like way throughout. (yes even you yanks)

Dispute resolution.
    This contest is based upon trust between competitors, im sure that many of us can think of a way to cheat. But we are trusting the integrity of competitors to abide by the rules.
    Should you beleive that another competitor has for some reason broken the rules of the competition you MUST contact a judge who will then investigate the complaint.
    Competitors should NOT accuse others of cheating or unsportsmanlike behaviour, we do not want this to turn into a flame fest.

EDIT - Typo on class 2 CPU speed.
    EDIT (4-1/04) - Added Class 8 for Expensive CPU's with no memory swap.
    Last edited by Holst; 01-16-2004 at 09:01 AM.

PRIZES..

One catagory does not yet have a prize (as I couldnt repair it)
    However ill try and sort something out before the competition ends.

If you wish to donate a prize for the competition please contact myself or saaya as soon as possible... any donations will be greatfully received.

Im not 100% sure on the contest closing date as I want to confirm with saaya.
    However the provisional date is midnight jan 31st GMT.

Oh... just remembered I have an epox 8kmm+ mainboard round here that works.. so thats the prize in class 4

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    I take it AMD A64 processors are part of the Unlimited class?

And for those who can't find them, here are some Xabre drivers...
    http://www.adventurevision.com/Xabre/
    (thanks to Saaya)

If anyone has anymore they'd like to see listed, send me a PM.

Yep, A64/FX/Opeteron are part of unlimited

Xtreme Legend
    Just a question: shouldn't class 1 be splitted in two: Intel and AMD classes?

Banned
    No prize for class4?That's my class!Ah well...

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hmmm not sure there, but afaik the P4ee and fx chips pretty much show the same performence when oced to their max ,no?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Originally posted by GJ
    No prize for class4?That's my class!Ah well...
    :P

Originally posted by Holst
    Oh... just remembered I have an epox 8kmm+ mainboard round here that works.. so thats the prize in class 4

Xtreme Legend
    Originally posted by saaya
    hmmm not sure there, but afaik the P4ee and fx chips pretty much show the same performence when oced to their max ,no?
    That can be correct if you get an ES for the EE but, who has one among the competitors?

The point is.. P4 cannot compete with A64 or FX these days
    Last edited by ojdr2001; 12-30-2003 at 03:58 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    are you sure? FUGGER got pretty nice scores with his EE without using the multis afaik

and again: the xabre cards show very very little performence gains from fast cpus! check it out yourself

Xtreme Legend
    Ok that was only my point of view. The results will tell us

Class1 is the prixe for the absolute fastest.

the winner will be the guy with the biggest clocks on the card ... not the guy with the biggest CPU.

From the scaling testing we did CPU speed is not a significant factor once you get into A64 terratory.. taking 10 points here and there...

Xtreme Legend
    I don't doubt a minute what you are saying. I will have the possibility to test it myself

But if that is the case, why 3dk01 and not 3dk03?

Because this isnt a DX9 card... so in 2003 we only get one test (I think..havent tried it myself) ... 2001 is the better choice.. plus we can use madmark and 2001 is still very popular... probably moreso than 2003..

Xtreme Legend
    Sorry you are right. I forgot DX9

Xtreme X.I.P.
    even with the latest drivers 2k3 and aquamark look like your card is on drugs

i got around 500points in 2k3 and almost the same score like with my 8500@300/300 in aquamark...

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    and the contest ends...when??

C

Xtreme X.I.P.
    in 5 weeks? i think 4 weeks is enough time to work on the cards, or should we say 6 weeks from next monday?

Xtreme Member
    6 weeks would be nice, I'm still a noob, need all the time I can get.

TDF.
    Infinity XP1700 247x9
    2x256Mb PC3500 Mushkin Level II 11-2-2-2-2-13-15
    Phase change in (slow) progress.

Xtreme Legend
    31st January seems ok for me....

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Originally posted by ojdr2001
    31st January seems ok for me....
    A bit tight...I don't even have the card yet...

C

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    How about Feb 14th.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Just so we can get a handle on the rules....in unlimited, is mem chip swap legal? Yes? Ok, what about GPU swap? Componentry? Caps and resistors?? PCB?? For all the PSYCHO's out there we need more rule clarification. Otherwise some psycho will fit a Xabre600 GPU on one of these cards...lol.

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by charlie
    Just so we can get a handle on the rules....in unlimited, is mem chip swap legal? Yes? Ok, what about GPU swap? Componentry? Caps and resistors?? PCB?? For all the PSYCHO's out there we need more rule clarification. Otherwise some psycho will fit a Xabre600 GPU on one of these cards...lol.
    LOL, too true
    Tim Smalley @ bit-tech

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast