Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Review

Xtreme Enthusiast

My Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Review

Phase one of my Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme review is completed. It involves a lot of fans and a lot of configurations:

Yate Loon (YL), Delta 120x25 M (D25), Panaflo M1 (P), Sanyo Denki 120x38 (SD), and a Delta 120x38mm VHE (D38).

Push, Pull, Push-Pull, 7v, 12v.

Link is here.

Here are my conclusions:

Conclusion: bigger fans do give better temps, but expect diminishing returns with the super big fans.

Conclusion:
    Best fan configuration: Push-Pull
    Second place: Pull
    Last place: Push

Phase Two: Lapped Performance
    Phase Three: Comparison to the Tuniq Tower and the Big Typhoon.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think those graphs should be redone with a starting value of 0.
    The current way exaggerates the differences - the first one implies the D38 temp is less than half of the YL temp, when it's actually only about 7%.

Xtreme Addict
    ^^^ Ya. It would seem the OP of this thread may be in the field of advertising. haha! j/k

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wouldn't it have been easier and/or make more sense to mount the extra fan with an elastic or twist-tie than butcher the heatsink like that?
    | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | i7 2600K w/ Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS ENGTX580 DirectCU II |
    | 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | Corsair F60 60GB - Raid 0 | WD2001FASS | Silverstone FT-02 w/ Corsair 1200w PSU|

Xtreme Member
    What's with all the vitriol tonight?

Intel E6600, D975xbx2, 3xWD Caviar, Matrox P650PCIe, Sony DVD-RAM+. TR IFX-14 push/woosh/pull w/Panaflow 1700rpm, 120mm x 38mm. One intake from BACKSIDE of mobo thru cutout over cpu mount.
    3.75 GHz, 1.5 vcore Orthos: 65c @ 24c ambient.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm, such insightful comments.

If you're unhappy with my graphs, the numbers are all there. Have at it and post back with your "improvements".

The whole point of the graphs is to emphasize the difference! The actual values are on the bars themself, so yes, any idiot can look and see we're only talking about a few degrees difference. If that isn't enough, I even mention it in the text. Biggest case scenario between worst configuration and best configuration was 9c.

And uhm, I'm at a lost as to what exactly I might be advertising for? Just because you throw down a "j/k" doesn't make it useful post. Thanks for the bump? I guess?

Finally, I'm sorry I'm being criticized for hard mounting my fans? I changed the fan configuration what some 20 times during the testing, I wasn't inclined to having to redo straps each time. Not only that, there really isn't convenient method for strapping a fan. If you call that butchering, you should take a closer look to what I've done to the motherboard.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    At first I couldn't tell if the temps were in F or C... The load temps seem a bit on the high side, especially considering the test set up is out in the open. I do appreciate the time you put into it. Thanks.
    | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | i7 2600K w/ Noctua NH-D14 | ASUS ENGTX580 DirectCU II |
    | 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | Corsair F60 60GB - Raid 0 | WD2001FASS | Silverstone FT-02 w/ Corsair 1200w PSU|

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Trust me, I've no shortage of vitriol meself!

The temps are in Celsius, I am thundering 1.535v thru it. Someone on my ocforums thread mentioned that coretemp had troubles with allandales, so I'll have to peek in on that. I might re-generate the graphs with abit uguru core temps, at a glance, tho they seemed to parallel the coretemp temps appropriately.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Navig View Post
    And uhm, I'm at a lost as to what exactly I might be advertising for? Just because you throw down a "j/k" doesn't make it useful post. Thanks for the bump? I guess?
    Relax man. I'm just poking a little fun because the graphs (while accurate and I do thank you for the time you took to make this review) remind me of how graphics card manufacturers tend to use methods like that to show during paper launches how much faster their product by using little things to make the differences look larger than they are.

I hope you understand that point. If not.... just regard this post as another bump.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Mentor
    Something doesn't seem right....

With this CPU (E4300 at 3.285ghz (9x365) vcore 1.535v.), you should not have load temps in the 70's with the "ultimate heatsink".

It's a dual core, not a quad and the volts are up but not ridiculous. Plus you said you were measuring at 3 minutes in, not even time to stabilize.

I mean, with my enzo and delta on my overclocked QX6700, my prime load temps don't go over 69C or so.

Maybe your heatsink was hardstoping on the mobo CPU frame? Or am I missing something? If those are the load temps we can expect, then this heatsink is a disappointment...which I doubt.

I am thundering 1.535v thru it.
    Temps are way too high for 1.535v and that chip with this heatsink IMO. I would expect you to be in the mid 50's or better to be honest.

Note this review:
    http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...spx?i=2943&p=5
    Last edited by Speederlander; 05-06-2007 at 08:35 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yup, thanks for the comments. A few other folks have noted that Core temp inflates the values for Allendales.

If you look at my uguru temps, they are much closer to what you'd expect.

I do still think my conclusions are valid because they are all based on comparisons from the same baseline--if I replaced the absolute values on the graphs with "deltas" such as +1.2c or what have you, they would still all look the same.

Now I do believe my baseline is valid because I clocked this chip up from its box, for the expressed purpose of doing this review, and all the temps (I followed in uguru) followed voltage increases appropriately--when I was reaching stable load temps in the high 50s, is when I deemed I had a system hot enough to separate these top tier heatsinks. This was verified by several different AS5 applications, and even already several different heatsinks. I opted to report coretemp temps because I figured people wouldn't like using proprietary bios software to show temps, harkening back to the ol' IC7 verus P4C800 temp debate.

Anyway, I'll go back in and crunch the numbers for uguru, and see if they track similarly.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    still a good benchy so gj.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Navig View Post
    The whole point of the graphs is to emphasize the difference!
    Wrong. Graphs are supposed to be a representation of the data.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender17 View Post

He labelled the y axis with a scale, so what's the problem?

The man is giving us the product of some hard work and should be thanked.

OP - did you ever test push-push vs push-pull?
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 & 6600's
    6400: 2.1GHz overclocked to 3.360 Ghz, 1.450V Vcore, Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, Rev 67MOAG BIOS 1305 -TTBT
    6600: 2.4GHz overclocked to 3.600 Ghz, 1.5375V Vcore, 3.708 Ghz, 1.5750V Vcore, Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, Rev 68MOAG BIOS 1602 - Ultra-120
    QuadCore Q6600: 2.4GHz oc to 3.456 Ghz, 1.5625V Vcore, Asus P5B-Deluxe Wifi, Rev 1.03G BIOS 804 - Ultra-120 Extreme New Build, still testing.
    Gskill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ (4 x 1GB)
    Antec Truepower2 550w EPS

Xtreme Member
    edit: davexl, opps read it wrong, I didn't see the push push my bad, interesting idea though

OP: Thanks for the work you did on this....

Quote Originally Posted by davexl View Post

He labelled the y axis with a scale, so what's the problem?

The man is giving us the product of some hard work and should be thanked.

OP - did you ever test push-push vs push-pull?
    Last edited by Eagleclaw; 05-07-2007 at 08:47 AM.
    i7 920 @ 4.0GHz
    Scythe MUGEN-2 with Push/Pull
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    3X2GB G-Skill DDR3
    Sapphire 5870 1GB Vapor-X
    OCZ Agility 120GB
    24" Acer HDMI LCD
    Corsair TX850
    Lian-Li PC-V1000

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the hard work, seems some people have to nit pick over stuff. Been wanting to get this HS and the more reviews and test i see the better.
    Thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender17 View Post
    I should have re-phrased that. MY graphs are meant to emphasize the difference. All visual representations introduce a spin on the presentation of the raw numbers--right down to the selection of colors (just ask any graphic artist). Anyone who says otherwise is probably trying to sell you something. Again, here was my logic in the selection of the y-axis. If you actually graph out the entire scaled y-axis (which, by the way I've noticed you have STILL NOT DONE), yes you can't tell the difference at all among the different bar heights. Well, then what is the point of including such a graph at all--its just wasting bandwith.

If you're not interested in sub 5c differences, don't bother with my review.

I have further news for you, you probably shouldn't bother with the rest of the review. Lapping the heatsinks is only going to yield a few degrees of benefit. Even the separation from the top tier heatsinks is not going to be more than 5-10c. I'd question the vailidity of any review that finds >10c differences among them.

If you want >10c differences, well then you can compare the heatsink to the stock Intel sink. But why bother? Rest assured, this heatsink is superior to the stock Intel sink.

But this is xtremesys. the last time I've even touched a standard cpu heatsink was to mount it to my northbridge.

Xtreme Member
    Nice job Navig, your reviews are always very complete and professionally done. Looking forward to the comparisons.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ @ 3.0GHz||Biostar TF560 A2+||4x1GB Team Xtreem D9s||Visiontek HD3870||WD 250GB||Seasonic SS-600HT
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.6GHz||DFI NF4 Ultra-D||OCZ VX 4000 2-2-2-5||ATI X1900XT||Seagate 320GB||Seasonic S12 600

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Update: Phase 2 ~ Lapped vs Unlapped

Full thread here.

Summary tables:

Load temps, Coretemp

Load temps, uguru

Summary: Stock vs Lapped

Through 3 different configurations, the Lapped heatsink beat the Unlapped heatsink by 1.7c (Coretemp) or 0.7c (uguru). I’d call this a consistent but small difference

Okay, finally on to my comparison (necessary steps as the other heatsinks are all lapped).

Egyptian OverClocker
    hope in ur comparison we will see the T120 and Ultra-X
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Something doesn't seem right....

With this CPU (E4300 at 3.285ghz (9x365) vcore 1.535v.), you should not have load temps in the 70's with the "ultimate heatsink".

It's a dual core, not a quad and the volts are up but not ridiculous. Plus you said you were measuring at 3 minutes in, not even time to stabilize.

I mean, with my enzo and delta on my overclocked QX6700, my prime load temps don't go over 69C or so.

Maybe your heatsink was hardstoping on the mobo CPU frame? Or am I missing something? If those are the load temps we can expect, then this heatsink is a disappointment...which I doubt.

Temps are way too high for 1.535v and that chip with this heatsink IMO. I would expect you to be in the mid 50's or better to be honest.

Note this review:
    http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling...spx?i=2943&p=5
    It is all to do with coretemp. 0.95 for some reason, uses a 100*C tjunction, whereas every other c2d uses 85*C. The CPU reports the difference between the actual temp and the tjuntion temp (the temp at which it shuts off), and temp is given by temp = tjunction - difference. Therefore, if the 100*C tjunction is indeed 15*C too high, then the temps coretemp reads will also be 15*C too high.

I am confused as to what to belive at the moment, the newest Speedfan gives temps 15*C lower than CT 0.95 (as it seems to use an 85*C tjunc.)

My E4300, clocked at 3.2GHz, 1.425v apparently loads at 60*C on a tuniq tower, which I am somewhat skeptical about. 45*C seems alot more reasonable.

At the moment, I am going with coretemp to be on the safe side, but am awaiting updates to coretemp to see what happens.

Thanks for the review

Do you think it will fit on the new P35 boards with the huge heatpipes on the northbridge?

Is it possible to mount the plastic backing without taking out the motherboard?
    Last edited by BobHarris; 05-15-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Please try a push-push fan setup.

SB Rig:
    | CPU: 2600K (L040B313T) | Cooling: H100 with 2x AP29 | Motherboard: Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 | Video: MSI gtx570 TF III
    | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB fw009 | HDDs: 2x GP 2TB, 2x Samsung F4 2TB
    | Audio: Cantatis Overture & Denon D7000 headphones | Case: Lian-Li T60 bench table
    | PSU: Seasonic X650 | Display: Samsung 2693HM 25,5"
    | OS: Windows7 Ultimate x64 SP1

+Fanless Music Rig: | E5200 @0.9V

+General surfing PC on sale | E8400 @4Ghz

Egyptian OverClocker
    push-push is not a good idea at all
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast