Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: something new about XSOS ?

something new about XSOS ?

yeah, the title says everything

nnstep could you post some sentence about the beta testing progess ?

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by blubbpeter View Post
    yeah, the title says everything

nnstep could you post some sentence about the beta testing progess ?
    I second this. I was eager to try v3.0 once it was released. Figured it could be a good gaming and daily use OS without the crap.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

YouTube Addict
    beta testing and OS development is going at a slightly slower pace than originally expected. However I believe the wait will be worth it. Unfortunately Microsoft didn't seem to keep their DX10 specification uniform, so we are working to fix that. It will be well worth it.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

do you have any expectations when it will be released to the public ?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by blubbpeter View Post
    do you have any expectations when it will be released to the public ?
    at this point my only expectation is that it is released when it is properly finished
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Xtreme Addict
    I've heard some things about XSOS, but the hole XSOS thing is not clear for me (dont know the proper english word).
    doesn't XSOS have a public website for information??
    from what i heard XSOS runs on a hybrid kernel (linux, bsd, minix code), and Microsoft supports the XSOS project. Is this correct?
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    I've heard some things about XSOS, but the hole XSOS thing is not clear for me (dont know the proper english word).
    doesn't XSOS have a public website for information??
    from what i heard XSOS runs on a hybrid kernel (linux, bsd, minix code), and Microsoft supports the XSOS project. Is this correct?
    1) it did but ultimately they did nothing to end the questions
    2) XSOS has several versions, each which perform specific functions well

thx for your answers

all outta gum
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    Microsoft supports the XSOS project. Is this correct?
    nn_step, what about this part of his question?
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xoqolatl View Post
    nn_step, what about this part of his question?
    it is true

all outta gum
    Thank you.
    at this point my only expectation is that it is released when it is properly finished
    I can't help but notice certain similarity to certain game title, and it's release date.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Member
    cough ut cough?
    Current: 2500k@ 4.0 // 8g Gskill // TZ68k+ // 5850 @ 900
    Best way to catch me is by PM // AKA Harmavoidance0

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post

We aren't expecting anyone to release unfinished software, I hope . But would it be too much to get an estimation of when we will actually be able to use the OS? A month? Six months? Just curious, so that the same questions that get asked week after week, " when is it coming and is it finished," can be reduced. If you implied that that it's too difficult to project a release date already, then I apologize.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanometer View Post
    We aren't expecting anyone to release unfinished software, I hope . But would it be too much to get an estimation of when we will actually be able to use the OS? A month? Six months? Just curious, so that the same questions that get asked week after week, " when is it coming and is it finished," can be reduced. If you implied that that it's too difficult to project a release date already, then I apologize.
    well according to our current Beta testers, the day we started testing it was usable. However I have set high goals for this project and it should be done in the next couple months. However that is assuming certain things happen according to plan...

Xtreme Addict
    nn_step - I don't know any facts of your relations with M$, but how could M$ support your OS when you spread all this negative words about M$ and their Windows, every weak or even day you speak about the weak points of Windows, I mean - I SEE NO LOGIC in this, why would M$ share you a weapon to slow there profits, cause if XSOS is everything you say it is, some might even skip Vista.

From my knowledge M$ is ready to pay a couple of million $ per day instead of sharing their source code, that's just what happened after a couple of years of marketing in Europe and now, you tell us it helps you with support for your project, if Windows is M$ bible then you are one of his Antichrists (no offense), you must admit you don't have just a small problem with Windows (M$) you hate it, I mean really hate it, can't say I blame your for that but how is this possible: M$ supporting XSOS when things are like they are.

I'd really appreciate a clean/good answer, one that all could understand.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I believe it is this.

That is because Microsoft is probably thinking just like Intel did. Intel made two designs for their processors one is netburst the other is Conroe.

Microsoft is just outsourcing development. I wonder if NN_step is getting paid, I say yes he is getting paid to do this.

Since NN step is only releasing to forums which at most will get probably get 50,000 users at most. This number might seem big however we are but a small minority. We make up about what 1% of all sales they could've sold.
    This is a small sacrifice for development of a potential new OS.

So I can see Microsoft pulling the plug as soon as they like what they see from XSOS, then stripping it of its code to make it into their next OS.

NN_step you can fix anything that is wrong.
    But looking at other industries this seems to be common.
    Last edited by Kurz; 04-09-2007 at 06:24 AM.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by XSAlliN View Post
    nn_step - I don't know any facts of your relations with M$, but how could M$ support your OS when you spread all this negative words about M$ and their Windows, every weak or even day you speak about the weak points of Windows, I mean - I SEE NO LOGIC in this, why would M$ share you a weapon to slow there profits, cause if XSOS is everything you say it is, some might even skip Vista.

From my knowledge M$ is ready to pay a couple of million $ per day instead of sharing their source code, that's just what happened after a couple of years of marketing in Europe and now, you tell us it helps you with support for your project, if Windows is M$ bible then you are one of his Antichrists (no offense), you must admit you don't have just a small problem with Windows (M$) you hate it, I mean really hate it, can't say I blame your for that but how is this possible: M$ supporting XSOS when things are like they are.

I'd really appreciate a clean/good answer, one that all could understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
    I believe it is this.

That is because Microsoft is probably thinking just like Intel did. Intel made two designs for their processors one is netburst the other is Conroe.

Microsoft is just outsourcing development. I wonder if NN_step is getting paid, I say yes he is getting paid to do this.

Since NN step is only releasing to forums which at most will get probably get 50,000 users at most. This number might seem big however we are but a small minority. We make up about what 1% of all sales they could've sold.
    This is a small sacrifice for development of a potential new OS.

So I can see Microsoft pulling the plug as soon as they like what they see from XSOS, then stripping it of its code to make it into their next OS.

NN_step you can fix anything that is wrong.
    But looking at other industries this seems to be common.
    The Official reasons for their acceptance of this project and my current relationship with Microsoft are not public, nor will I make them public information before the specified end in our contract.
    Unofficially and off the record, Microsoft has come to a realization about how much in danger some of their markets are. Hence they contracted the FULL team (and the team isn't a small one by any measure)

Xtreme Addict
    If there is a contract in the middle those that mean, that XSOS might belong to M$ - if they desire?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by XSAlliN View Post
    If there is a contract in the middle those that mean, that XSOS might belong to M$ - if they desire?
    The rights to the source code of V1-V3 are Microsoft property, that is technically correct. V4 is going to be under GNU

Xtreme Addict
    Fair enough - I guess

I don't mind waiting. Sure I would like to see it available as soon as possible, but I'd prefer waiting a little longer for a good thing than getting it now and having to patch it to death later like certain MS operating systems or EA games (which I guess don't always get patched anyway lol)
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Well, maybe one day there will be an XSOS that we can all see, but I'm not holding my breath over it. I mean, with all this secrecy, wouldn't it have been better to not even mention it until it was closer to fruition?

Sure, there was a call for beta testers, but as far as I can tell, those testers, for whatever reason (NDA?), are just as secretive about it. Talk about cloak & dagger!

Again, the hype for me has worn off. Not to the point that I think this is a total sham, but I do think it is a little shady, at least.

Not meaning to offend, but every thread I read about XSOS has the same theme, where even common features or functionality that anyone would expect from an OS cannot even be discussed. Zero info, other than, we'll like it
    Abit IN9 - Kentsfield QX6700 @3520
    1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655
    2x2GB G-Skill (1080Mhz) 5-5-5-15@2.2vdimm
    2x XFX 8800GTS 648/999
    2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
    2x 320GB Sata WD
    X-FI Elite Pro
    Lian Li V2100B
    Dell 2405FPW
    PP&C Silencer 750

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammin View Post
    Well, maybe one day there will be an XSOS that we can all see, but I'm not holding my breath over it. I mean, with all this secrecy, wouldn't it have been better to not even mention it until it was closer to fruition?

Sure, there was a call for beta testers, but as far as I can tell, those testers, for whatever reason (NDA?), are just as secretive about it. Talk about cloak & dagger!

Again, the hype for me has worn off. Not to the point that I think this is a total sham, but I do think it is a little shady, at least.

Not meaning to offend, but every thread I read about XSOS has the same theme, where even common features or functionality that anyone would expect from an OS cannot even be discussed. Zero info, other than, we'll like it
    we have in the most basic methods have discussed basic system functions and features. However specific details aren't given because many of them have and probably will change in a few manners before we get to release.

Xtreme Cruncher
    So I am to take that XSOS v4 wont have DX10?
    Curious why not make a plugin for Direct10 and have it under a different license. So as soon as microsoft pulls the plug all you have to do is get rid of DX10? Unless you arent allowed to distribute DX10 by itself.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurz View Post
    So I am to take that XSOS v4 wont have DX10?
    Curious why not make a plugin for Direct10 and have it under a different license. So as soon as microsoft pulls the plug all you have to do is get rid of DX10? Unless you arent allowed to distribute DX10 by itself.
    DX10 is too closely tied to the Windows API and is literally systematically covered by over 231,619 patents. The only way a DX10 Game will work on Linux is if about 50 of the API's system calls are not used

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast