Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread: The MOST POWERFULL 12V PSU EVER...

sleepin is overrated
    its will only suck as much power at the rig requires not the full rated power of the psu,

great work George keep it coming

IT Engineer in the making
    Quote Originally Posted by -Acid-
    its will only suck as much power at the rig requires not the full rated power of the psu,

great work George keep it coming
    Yes, but this monster (literally) will suck up more power than any other computer PSU around, as it's a linear design. One thing though, and that's the most important fact and hipro's intention: It will deliever much cleaner power than any switching PSU. It's not intended to be efficient. But who cares about efficiency when there are records to break.

Go hipro5.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleDevil
    238 Replies and no pics, hipro show us that monster

Best Regards
    so true. we need some pics!

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
    don't hurry too much though, you want it to be perfect
    Yes that's a problem now.....

At least I could prepare and get ready the 12Volts lines for now coz I'm in a benching time and afterwards, I'll do the rest of them.....I'll see....

Yes sorry for not picturing anything yet......As soon as esdee will come here with his digicam, I'll tell him to shot some and then upload them....
    P.S. The heatsink weights about 10 - 12kgrs .....
    Last edited by hipro5; 01-23-2007 at 11:18 PM.
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by hipro5

At least I could prepare and get ready the 12Volts lines for now coz I'm in a benching time and afterwards, I'll do the rest of them.....I'll see....

Yes sorry for not picturing anything yet......As soon as esdee will come here with his digicam, I'll tell him to shot some and then upload them....

I think we need to start a fund to get you a new camera hipro! I think it would be a worthwhile repayment for all that you have given the community.

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    I think we need to start a fund to get you a new camera hipro! I think it would be a worthwhile repayment for all that you have given the community.
    Agreed Start a paypall!!! Or are you not enough of a man to accept handout Hipro5?
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Xtreme Enthusiast

OMG man lol thats crazy ..... that thing will be such a beast
    Last edited by Millyons; 01-24-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasparz
    Talk 'bout overkill.
    How thick are wires that u use for 12/5/3.3v? How much current they can handle?
    You are probably best customer of Greece power station

Quarter guage I believe.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SPL15
    Agreed. The only advantage of the linear supply would be clean output. On the other hand, i'm not sure the line ripple is very important as all the sensible parts in a PC (CPU, RAM, GPU, MCH etc) are powered trough secondary regulators.
    I am very curious to see how hipro will make the linear regulators handle the transients, i'm guessing monster LC filters with very high-quality capacitors will be the method of choice. But, filters that big could probably clean up the voltage from a switchmode converter .

Quote Originally Posted by Micutzu
    ...On the other hand, i'm not sure the line ripple is very important as all the sensible parts in a PC (CPU, RAM, GPU, MCH etc) are powered trough secondary regulators. ...
    If I'm not mistaking, then lower ripple on the input means less power dissipation in the fed regulation circuit.

Champion
    I don't think there's a direct connection.
    It is true, input ripple will go right trough the PWM converter all the way to the output, but wether it's 50mV or 10mV doesn't really matter as the PWM's own switching noise is way-way-way more important there. Reworked motherboard PWM converters yes, those would really make a difference.

Xtreme Member
    Where is the rest of the work. 10 pages and nothing. Might be my first post, but yea......

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdustin2008
    Where is the rest of the work. 10 pages and nothing. Might be my first post, but yea......
    Heh, heh, heh.......I did about 2 years to finish the DDR Maximizer and you want in 2 weaks a "beast"....?.......
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

YouTube Addict
    Heh, heh, heh.......I did about 2 years to finish the DDR Maximizer and you want in 2 weaks a "beast"....?.......
    speaking of which, when are going to be able to get the DDR3 PCBs?
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdustin2008
    Great you just showed that you've got no clue. Use the search function and have a look at hipro's other projects. And then show some more respect in your further postings. If hipro5 says that he's building a super PSU, then you can be assured that that's what he does. Some poeple got a real life and don't have all day long to take photos, or anything else, for postings in forums like these.

No offence taken, but think about it.

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    speaking of which, when are going to be able to get the DDR3 PCBs?
    As soon as the mobos are out, the DDR3 PCB will be out too....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Micutzu
    Agreed. The only advantage of the linear supply would be clean output. On the other hand, i'm not sure the line ripple is very important as all the sensible parts in a PC (CPU, RAM, GPU, MCH etc) are powered trough secondary regulators.
    I am very curious to see how hipro will make the linear regulators handle the transients, i'm guessing monster LC filters with very high-quality capacitors will be the method of choice. But, filters that big could probably clean up the voltage from a switchmode converter .

In order to use low drop out linear regulation effectively, as in the RMS voltage going into the regulation circuit is very close to the regulated output voltage, you need pretty good filtering in order to keep the voltage above the drop out point or else the line ripple will dirctly be seen on the regulated output. Low dropout linear regulators are typically used to minimize losses and reduce wasted power due to the fact that the voltage times current equals power. If you minimise the voltage across the regulator, you minimize power dissipation of the regulator.

In HIPRO's case, he's gonna need all the efficiency he can possibly find.

Also, PWM regulation will NOT let line side ripple just pass through it. 60Hz ripple is a piece of cake for any decent switchmode regulation circuit. Since the PWM frequency is thousands of Hz higher than the 60 hz it is filtering, there is no problems getting rid of it. It slightly works like PCM works with audio in a computer. The sampling rate means a lot with higher frequency abilities, but low frequency sounds dont get very much benefit because there are thousands of samples for a 60hz tone compared to a 20khz tone which may only get a few samples or even only 2 to render the wave.

Now UNREGULATED PWM converting will no doubt pass line ripple hz for hz, but this is not regulating a voltage, it is just multiplying it. Like in car audio amplifiers. Most use an unregulated DC-DC converter which simply takes the 12VDC and it goes to a switching circuit that switches the 12vdc thousands of times per second and has a duty cycle of 50% (theoretically in a perfect world) and this gets fed to transformers and then rectified and filtered for 30 to 60 to 80 or higher volts DC. In this case, any and all line ripple passes straight through. If your into autosound, thats why there is such an emphasis on your car's electrical system's ground resistance and power delivery resistance.

Back on Topic though... I got a very good source for great quality 1 to 2 FARAD Aluminum electrolytic capacitors with a voltage rating of 20V's that would be PERFECT for Hipro's application. They are purposed to be used in Autosound, but would work great for line filtering in Hipro's application. Parrellel a six pack of 2 Farad caps and you'll have a nice 12 Farad capacitor bank.

I would stay away from those ultra high capacity automotive caps though (square shaped), they wouldnt be very good/safe for continous 60 Hz filtering and could definitely be dangerous or explosive if abused.

I dont feel like doing the calculations, but your gonna need a hellava capacitor bank in order to keep ripple small enough to use 16V for the voltage being regulated without getting dropout ripple feed through.

One other thing, no matter what, this power supply is going to be a massive RF transmitter because of the massive current spikes being switched by the rectification diodes. I suggest some sort of bypass cap and snubber circuits on your rectification or else you'll have the FCC knockin on your door... Well maybe not that extreme, but it could cause interference with your computer's signal integrity which could result in poor OC.
    3.75 Ghz E6600 SL958 @1.4volts WC by Apogee
    Intel D975XBX2 Rev 503 BIOS 2431 1066 Strap (This Mobo SUCKS!)
    4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR1000 @ DDR834 5,5,5,15
    EVGA 8800GTX WC MCW60 (685GPU/1050Mem)
    4X74 10,000RPM WD Raptor RAID-0 (260MB/S)
    PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad
    SILVERSTONE GD01S-MXR HTPC Case
    Intel HD Audio... Saving up for i-Meridian
    Custom Designed/Built 6x500Watt + 1x1500 Watt Amplifier .005% THD+N @ 20Khz not 1Khz
    Custom Designed/Built D'Appolito Reference Speakers w/ Custom -24dB crossovers
    Custom Designed/Built 15" Digital Designs Audio 9515f tuned to 22Hz.
    52" LG DLP 52SX4D HDTV

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wow slp15 im reading the custom sound system you list in your signature and i would love to hear something of that quality play some music!

anyways do you have any pics of that setup or can you give me anymore information?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brandinb
    wow slp15 im reading the custom sound system you list in your signature and i would love to hear something of that quality play some music!

anyways do you have any pics of that setup or can you give me anymore information?

Yea it definitely can sing you to sleep or scare you to death. In my case this past weekend scared... My sub destroyed the drywall in the corner it is in. Screwheads are popped out and the drywall seam is cracked halfway up the wall. Play an 18Hz test tone and you can see the walls flex about 3/8" in the center. Play a 35Hz test tone and it makes your eyes water and police come and say hello... Yea had some buddies over and had too many beers and got outta hand at 3 AM...

Sorry dont have pics to show right now and I'd feel like a real jerk posting pics in Hipro's thread.

Back on topic though, How's it coming Hipro? What are the specs of the transformer you are using?

EDIT: My sig is (was) incorrect though. My sub is now a Digital Designs Audio 9515f in ported box. I sold the earthquake system it was very sloppy sounding. Also my sub amp is only 1500 watts, that 2500 was a typo. Also, please PM me if you want more details/comments I thread steal to much as it is
    Last edited by SPL15; 02-02-2007 at 12:43 AM.
    3.75 Ghz E6600 SL958 @1.4volts WC by Apogee
    Intel D975XBX2 Rev 503 BIOS 2431 1066 Strap (This Mobo SUCKS!)
    4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR1000 @ DDR834 5,5,5,15
    EVGA 8800GTX WC MCW60 (685GPU/1050Mem)
    4X74 10,000RPM WD Raptor RAID-0 (260MB/S)
    PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad
    SILVERSTONE GD01S-MXR HTPC Case
    Intel HD Audio... Saving up for i-Meridian
    Custom Designed/Built 6x500Watt + 1x1500 Watt Amplifier .005% THD+N @ 20Khz not 1Khz
    Custom Designed/Built D'Appolito Reference Speakers w/ Custom -24dB crossovers
    Custom Designed/Built 15" Digital Designs Audio 9515f tuned to 22Hz.
    52" LG DLP 52SX4D HDTV

Xtreme Member
    Can you post some PSU schemes?

On English please
    Core i7-920 * DX58SO * 3x2GB Reaper 1600CL7 * HD 4870x2
    www.pcaxe.com/forum

Banned
    Hipro - amazing dude. Used your old site for V modding my mobo years ago and now this just scream out to me! 5KW is imense. I though maybe getting 2 PC+P 1KW and running one the mobo and 1 GFX and the other for last GFX all my other gubbings. Think you should get a PSU out there that we all can use as the stuff that is out is as you says not what it is

Xtreme Addict
    I saw this thread, and I remembered that Delta makes a huge line of switching power supplies from 6w to 5000w. I wonder if one could use one of those +1000w monsters for a DX10 SLi rig...? Let me look for the link...

Here ya go:
    http://www.delta.com.tw/product/ps/s...?pcid=3&ptid=5

And you can buy all of it here:
    http://www.icpowerx.com/focusparts/websearch1177.html

But good work man, the project looks good.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Member
    OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMAZING HIPRO!!!

keep it going
    Last edited by SrJabardo; 02-13-2007 at 04:06 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    this is the most awesome thing ive ever seen. i think its safe to assume that youll get no drop in your 12v line after thisone is finished
    Member of XS WCG since 2006-11-25

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by k|ngp|n
    Overboard is his middle name
    Jeez this PSU is insane George. And if your already "loaded out" and need this monster....omg omg omg
    hey George "Overboard" Hipro5.............where are those photos you promised
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast