Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solution : reason for failing conroes at prime

Xtreme Member

Solution : reason for failing conroes at prime

Some people have issues with prime in-place ftt or spi 1.4 (not 1.5). failing after seconds was common for a few of us.

now intel released a pdf with bugs of the stepping 6 conroes and there is the solution :

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...t/31327902.pdf

FP Inexact-Result Exception Flag May Not Be Set
    so prime/spi 1.4 only fail for rounding error cause the flag is not set, but not cause it's really a false result.

many people noticed that this error only appears on several bios-versions or asyncron running ram. now this COULD also be related or it's a combined effect, i really don't know.

but the more interesting thing is : will this flag make problems in real computer use or only for stability testing purposes ?

anyway, now we have some kind of answer. hope this takes a bit of confusion from your minds, as it did for me
    System : E6600 @ 3150mhz, Gigabyte DS3, 4gb Infineon 667mhz, Amd-Ati X1900XT

Xtreme Member
    Sweet, I'm abandoning Prime entirely! 4ghz air here we come!

(JK)

Interesting though. So how might we know if the error is this vs. regular, real rounding errors?
    Last edited by Frackal; 08-28-2006 at 09:15 AM.
    E6600 - 3.67ghz | 1830mhz FSB | 2x1gbTeamGroup Extreem @ DDR920 Cas4 | GigabyteDS-3 | 5x120mm Panaflo | 2xRaptor74 RAID 0 | eVGA 8800GTX - 632/2100mhz | Coming: BenQ FP241W 24.0" WS-LCD | Dell 2005FPW 20.1" | Antec P180 | 2x NEC-DVD-RW | X-Fi 7.1 | Z-680 Digi 5.1 | OCZ GameXStream 700w| Logitech G5/Saitek Eclipse

I am Xtreme
    yeah i remember early AMD winchesters were doing something similar, they would faiil prime even at stock speeds sometimes, but there wasnt any realy problem with the cpu's.

Damn, anyway for them to fix that with bios change or do they need to fix the chip itself?

Hmmmm....time to try for 3.4 gig on my E6400 then....dirty dirty prime I knew my chip had more room!

Maybe not...we'll see.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reite
    Damn, anyway for them to fix that with bios change or do they need to fix the chip itself?
    If this is part of the same errata list that was recently released, word is that they are releasing a new stepping to fix the problems.

Also keep in mind that Intel pushed up the release of C2D a couple of months, so a small mixup like this is not entirely unexpected.

Of course for day to day use, no one will notice one way or another.
    i7-2600K @ 4806Mhz 102.3x47 1.368v LinX stable
    MSI P67 GD-80
    16Gb Corsair 8-8-8-24 1T 818.2Mhz
    MSI GTX560Ti 1005/2250 1.062v
    Crucial m4 256Gb SSD
    Corsair TX850 | 64bit WIN7 Pro
    Custom watercooling
    47" 1080p LCD | Onkyo 876/ Polk 5.1 surround

Xtreme Member
    Solution for Prime failing Conroes?

Lower the OC by 200MHz.

But on more serious note, I tend to notice some inconsistency with 4MB L2 chips.
    I don't check my PMs very often.

Xtreme Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    yeah i remember early AMD winchesters were doing something similar, they would faiil prime even at stock speeds sometimes, but there wasnt any realy problem with the cpu's.
    If they are failing doing calculations it is a problem ... i use this stuff to work i don't want it to produce wrong results in calculations .
    E6600@3.3Ghz
    P5B-Dlx ( 0711 bios )
    BBA X1900XTX
    4x512 Corsair 5400UL

----------------------------------------------------
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at
    this distance" (last words of Gen.
    John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864) "

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toledo
    If they are failing doing calculations it is a problem ... i use this stuff to work i don't want it to produce wrong results in calculations .
    Well I basically got mine for the same reason. I am putting my work program (home grown Fortran simulation that makes this Prime stuff look like calc.exe) on tonight, if you want I could let you know if the results are the same as I get on my work machines and laptop. I seriously doubt they will be different, at the worst I think it just won't run (in my mind erroneous results are worse than no results at all).
    New Rig:
    Intel C2D Wk25 E6600@3.29(366x9) WIN Stable--Bios:913--Vcore:1.37--Vnb:stock
    DFI Infinity 975X
    2x1 GIG OCZ PC6400 Gold--Vdimm:2.1v--5/5/5/15--667div--
    ANTEC TP-II 550W
    eVGA 7600GS (I hate games!)
    Thermalright Ultra-90
    NO O/C IS COLD BOOT STABLE High Temps

Xtreme Addict
    Funny enough, with my E6600...I almost don't need Prime...I just run 3DMark05 and when it gets to the first CPU test, it'll reboot if the OC's too high and it won't if it's not. For me, if it passes those 3DMark CPU tests, it'll pass Prime for over 12 hours, EVERY time. Down to the 1MHz detail.

Very strange.
    MAIN: 4770K 4.6 | Max VI Hero | 16GB 2400/C10 | H110 | 2 GTX670 FTW SLi | 2 840 Pro 256 R0 | SB Z | 750D | AX1200 | 305T | 8.1x64
    HTPC: 4670K 4.4 | Max VI Gene | 8GB 2133/C9 | NH-L9I | HD6450 | 840 Pro 128 | 2TB Red | GD05 | SSR-550RM | 70" | 8.1x64
    MEDIA: 4670K 4.4 | Gryphon | 8GB 1866/C9 | VX Black | HD4600 | 840 Pro 128 | 4 F4 HD204UI R5 | 550D | SSR-550RM | 245BW | 8.1x64

Xtreme Member
    Seems to me if it was a prime failure because of this cpu bug then it would fail at stock speed too.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaicd
    Seems to me if it was a prime failure because of this cpu bug then it would fail at stock speed too.
    *snipped for my stupidity*

Has anybody bothered to run prime at stock on the current stepping?
    New Rig:
    Intel C2D Wk25 E6600@3.29(366x9) WIN Stable--Bios:913--Vcore:1.37--Vnb:stock
    DFI Infinity 975X
    2x1 GIG OCZ PC6400 Gold--Vdimm:2.1v--5/5/5/15--667div--
    ANTEC TP-II 550W
    eVGA 7600GS (I hate games!)
    Thermalright Ultra-90
    NO O/C IS COLD BOOT STABLE High Temps

Is this the bug you're referring too?

I think the problem is the FPU isn't setting a "roundoff has occured" flag on calculations which required a roundoff and have an immediate store to memory. (btw roundoff occur all the time, floating point is only so accurate). So the effect is practically zero on gaming and general applications. If you're running some banking or scientific software (or torture test software) that needs to know if a roundoff occured you're in trouble.

Looks like theres a fairly do-able work around in software though. Just need a disassembler. Add a couple NOOPs before the floating point store instructions.

Then we could test stability with this known precision bug out of the equation.

mds

-------

AI20. FP Inexact-Result Exception Flag May Not Be Set

Problem:
    When the result of a floating-point operation is not exactly representable in the destination format (1/3 in binary form, for example), an inexact-result (precision) exception occurs. When this occurs, the PE bit (bit 5 of the FPU status word) is normally set by the processor. Under certain rare conditions, this bit may not be set when this rounding occurs. However, other actions taken by the processor (invoking the software exception handler if the exception is unmasked) are not affected. This erratum can only occur if one of the following FST instructions is one or two instructions after the floatingpoint operation which causes the precision exception:
    • FST m32real
    • FST m64real
    • FSTP m32real
    • FSTP m64real
    • FSTP m80real
    • FIST m16int
    • FIST m32int
    • FISTP m16int
    • FISTP m32int
    • FISTP m64int
    • FISTTP m16int
    • FISTTP m32int
    • FISTTP m64int

Note that even if this combination of instructions is encountered, there is also a dependency on the internal pipelining and execution state of both instructions in the processor.

Implication: Inexact-result exceptions are commonly masked or ignored by applications, as it happens frequently, and produces a rounded result acceptable to most applications. The PE bit of the FPU status word may not always be set upon receiving an inexact-result exception. Thus, if these exceptions are unmasked, a floating-point error exception handler may not recognize that a precision exception occurred. Note that this is a "sticky" bit, i.e., once set by an inexact-result condition, it remains set until cleared by software.

Workaround: This condition can be avoided by inserting three non-floating-point instructions between the two floating-point instructions.

For the steppings affected, see the Summary Tables of Changes.

The Specification Changes listed in this section apply to the following documents:
    • Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor X6800 and Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor E6000 Sequence
    • IA-32 Intel® Architecture Software Developer’s Manual volumes 1,2A, 2B, 3A, and 3B

All Specification Changes will be incorporated into a future version of the appropriate Intel® Core™2 Extreme and Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor documentation.
    Last edited by mds47; 08-28-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Has anyone ever seen a Prime rounding error on a stock C2D? I've only seen them occur at 400+FSB with large FFTs on my E6400. Right now I'm 15+ hours into Orthos large FFT testing at 376FSB without any errors.
    Gigabyte GA965P-DS3
    E6400 @390FSB/3120MHz (1.40V)
    Scythe Ninja Plus 1500rpm fan
    2x1GB OCZ EL Platinum XTC Rev. 1 @DDR780/4-4-4-12/2.1V
    EVGA 7800GT-CO @500/1150
    Seagate 7200.10 320GB/16MB SATAII
    Etc.

Xtreme Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Btrice
    Well I basically got mine for the same reason. I am putting my work program (home grown Fortran simulation that makes this Prime stuff look like calc.exe) on tonight, if you want I could let you know if the results are the same as I get on my work machines and laptop. I seriously doubt they will be different, at the worst I think it just won't run (in my mind erroneous results are worse than no results at all).
    Great . Let me know your results as soon as possible .... . You can post here , i bet i am not the only one who is worried about it .
    E6600@3.3Ghz
    P5B-Dlx ( 0711 bios )
    BBA X1900XTX
    4x512 Corsair 5400UL

"They couldn't hit an elephant at
    this distance" (last words of Gen.
    John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864) "

xtreme energy
    Don't say you are overclocking and making serious computations then

Quote Originally Posted by Plaicd

Exactly.
    Got r00t?

Xtreme Member
    ok for you people that don't know it and tell funny stuff now, i'll explain it :

even on stock clock and voltage(or even higher voltage) large-in-place-ftt-prime would fall and also spi 1.4

NOTHING OC and NO lower voltage.

so if you fall only when OC, this cpu-bug is NOT what you got !

to test stability just use blend or small-ftt, cause this works perfectly(at least for me) as it don't uses this flag.
    System : E6600 @ 3150mhz, Gigabyte DS3, 4gb Infineon 667mhz, Amd-Ati X1900XT

Xtreme Cruncher
    You say solution but I don't see any solution in this thread

All you've done is listed what Intel have said is a bug..
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz . DFI DK P45-T2RS Plus . XFX 9800GT 512MB . 8GB OCZ Blade PC2-9200 . WD6400AAKS AHCI .
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic . Hanns.G 28" LCD . Thermalright U120-E . Seasonic S12 600w . Windows 7 Professional E Retail x64 .

Xtreme Mentor
    I am sorry guys, but this has nothing to do with the issue. The Intel bug is the other way round.

MPrime and SuperPi fail because they get the not exact rounding flag.

This CPU bug is that sometimes this flag is not set when it should be.

And yes it is probably meaningless for even math applications as it will still give a correctly rounded result - just not properly declare whether it was rounded or not. Most applications continue with the rounded result anyway and it is the same, flag or not. But this bug means strict IEEE compliance is not met.

Xtreme Addict
    This is an excellent thread for people that can't get stable enough to complete prime... It's just one more excuse in the arsenal…

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt
    I am sorry guys, but this has nothing to do with the issue. The Intel bug is the other way round.

MPrime and SuperPi fail because they get the not exact rounding flag.

This CPU bug is that sometimes this flag is not set when it should be.

And yes it is probably meaningless for even math applications as it will still give a correctly rounded result - just not properly declare whether it was rounded or not. Most applications continue with the rounded result anyway and it is the same, flag or not. But this bug means strict IEEE compliance is not met.
    Are you sure about this? I have the prime95 source but havent look at this in detail yet.

My intuition is the check is done on results that were not flagged as rounded by the fpu. In other words the value should be exact (unless overclocked error) and comparable to a known exact value.

If the "roundoff occurred" flag isnt getting set from this bug, the algorithms may be checking results that were indeed rounded with perfect values to detect instability (which does not necessarily indicate instability).

mds

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by mds47
    Are you sure about this? I have the prime95 source but havent look at this in detail yet.

My intuition is the check is done on results that were not flagged as rounded by the fpu. In other words the value should be exact (unless overclocked error) and comparable to a known exact value.

If the "roundoff occurred" flag isnt getting set from this bug, the algorithms may be checking results that were indeed rounded with perfect values to detect instability (which does not necessarily indicate instability).

mds
    Hm, there's a possibility you are right. Let me see whether I can find it in mprime's source.

However, none of this changes the fact that at least for me it was very hard to get a mostly-stable overclock mprime-stable, but all it took to do so was take the clocks down and CPU voltage up. That makes it unlikely that the original problem was caused by an arithmetic bug in the CPU.

Xtreme Mentor
    Can somebody post the exact error message from an mprime failing with "not exact in round" or whatever it is saying?

I don't have an unstable machine handy

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt
    Can somebody post the exact error message from an mprime failing with "not exact in round" or whatever it is saying?

I don't have an unstable machine handy
    It says:
    FATAL ERROR:Rounding was 0.49609375, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected,consult stress.txt file.
    | ASUS REII || i7 920 || 6GB G.Skill DDR3 16000 Perfect Storm || Sapphire"VAPOR-X" HD 4890 CF || DELL U2410 ULTRASHARP 24 || Corsair 850HX || Samsung F1 1TB x 4 || Seagate7200.12 1TB x 2 || 3 x OCZ 30GB Vertex @ Raid0 || Pioneer DVR-216D || G15V2 || MX518 | Qpad XT-R || Win 7 |
    | Obsidian 800D || HK Rev. 3.0 LT || BP BF AIX58NSE || BP BF MOS AMOS II || BP BF MOS AMOS III || MCP655 + EK X-TOP Rev.2 || EK-Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 || Tygon R3603 || XSPC RX360 + Yate Loon D12SL-12 || BP Compression Fittings 1/2in. || T-Balancer/bigNG |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast