Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: CPU aircooling roundup

Xtreme Enthusiast

CPU aircooling roundup

I decided to start this faq because of constant questions by new people asking about the best heatsinks and on the suggestion of Nanometer that there should be a sticky on the topic.

There are several factors you should think about when deciding to buy a cpu cooler aside from just pure performance. If you are putting together a system for LAN parties, than you might not want the heaviest tower style coolers. Also pay attention to the mounting style of the cooler. For example, coolers that bolt through the motherboard with a mounting plate on the backside will be more secure than a cooler that just clips on. Certain heatsinks perform better with slower moving fans and others require faster moving fans for best performance, so if noise is an issue pay attention to fan requirements. You could use a fan controller to deal with this issue also. Some cases have a cpu air duct, coolers with horizontal fans would probably be preffered for this type of case. Also pay attention to the space on your motherboard immediatly adjascent to the cpu socket for anything that might obstruct the mounting of whatever cooler you would like to use, although this is not usually an issue.

Now for the most asked question; "What is the best cpu cooler?" Well because of different case designs, different thermal cpu output and other factors it's difficult to say such and such is the best. Right now the most popular consensus is that the that the Tuniq Tower 120 is probably the best by a very small margin, depending on configuration; "coolaler" who has many overclocking posts on this board and holds some overclocking world records uses this cooler. Also when reading reviews you may notice that reviewers don't always use the same types of fans, use different cases, motherboards, cpu's etc.

Thermal paste is very important too here is a guide to proper application of thermal paste. Arctic Silver 5 is one of the most popular and effective thermal pastes. Shinetsu thermal pads are very good if you don't want to use thermal paste. Coollaboratory liquid metal may be slightly more effective than Arctic Silver 5 but is not recommended for begginers as it is more difficult to apply properly and is very corrosive to Aluminum, also it will likely cause a short if you get any on your motherboard.

Almost any heatsink can be improved by lapping the base to improve contact and heat transfer, here is an example of a heatsink lapping kit someone pointed me to.

Recommended air coolers

Thermalright IFX-14 (Initial tests show it to be very good but may not beat out the Ultra Extreme, awaiting more reviews...)
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme (New 6 heatpipe version of the Ultra-120, the best cooler currently available!)
    Thermalright Ultima-90 (Already tested at several degrees better than the Tuniq Tower-120!)
    3RSystem IceAge 120 NEW! (Very few reviews but so far appears to be slightly superior to the Tuniq Tower 120 in some circumstances with the fan on high, comes with a fan cantroller but does not seem to be widely available at this time)
    Enzotech Ultra-X (So far superior to the Scythe Infinity by a degree or two and about equivilant to a Thermalright Ultra-120 due to the larger diameter heatpipes used on the Enzotech which is also the advantage the newest Thermalrights have)
    Thermaltake V1 (Some tests are showing this to be a little better than the Scythe Infinity and almost on par with the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme!)
    Tuniq Tower 120 (The reigning champion, [Not anymore!] back in stock)
    Thermalright Ultra-120 (One of the best cpu coolers only a hair behind the Tuniq)
    Scythe Andy Samurai Master (Very good performance for it's size/weight, close to the Infinity, but a few degrees behind the Enzotech and falls behind the Ninja, particularly at very low fan speeds. One of the better coolers listed here for LAN parties and such due to it's lower profile and lighter weight.)
    Cooler Master GeminII (Looks to be a very good cooler so far but not as good as the new Thermalright's and maybe Enzotech. However the Cooler Master is so massive it cools the cpu very well without fans in a case with decent cooling. With 2x 120mm fans it cools the motherboard extremely well because of it's size. NOT recommended for LAN parties due to the massive size and weight. Looks to be a rough equivilant to a Scythe Infinity.)
    Scythe Infinity (One of the best and most massive sized coolers around. Ive heard it can be run passive in a well cooled case)
    Scythe Ninja (Very excellent all-around cooler for quiet fans.)
    Zalman CNPS 9700 LED (Larger version of the popular 9500, comes with 110mm fan)
    Thermalright SI-128 (About equal or better than the Ninja in all respects, very good with low speed, quiet fans. World class with medium-high speed fans.)
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon/VX (Very excellent all around cooler, new "VX" version has more powerfull adjustable fan. Can be modded by adding BGA memory ramsinks to the base for improved performance)
    Noctua NH-U12 (Another very excellent tower sized cooler)
    Silverstone Nitrogon NT06 Lite (Inferior cooling to most of the coolers listed here but still very good, perfect fit for small form factor computers and cases with very little space. Comes fanless since it was designed to fit right underneath the PSU in a Silverstone SG01 case, you will need a fan for other cases. Lightweight and low-profile make this a good choice for LAN parties as well.)

Review Links:

Heatsink roundups:
    Hexus 2007 NEW!
    Madshrimps S775 June 2006
    Madshrimps February 2006
    Madshrimps A64 2Q 2005
    Overclockers
    Neoseeker May 2006
    Tomshardware June 2005
    Silentpcreview
    BeHardware May 2005
    Xbitlabs October 2005
    Chilehardware May 2006
    people.overclockers.ru
    Bleedinedge

Thermalright IFX-14:
    [H]ardOCP NEW!

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme:
    Mini Review :Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Review (Navig)
    AnandTech
    Thermalright Ultima 90:
    xtremesystems

3RSystems IceAge 120:
    TechPowerup NEW!
    Xtremesystems - (hixie) - 3R System Iceage 120 Heatsink Review NEW!

Enzotech Ultra-X:
    X-bit Labs
    Virtual-Hideout
    Frostytech
    PC Perspective
    BCHardware
    Pro-Clockers
    OCIA

Thermaltake V1:
    Hartware
    Legion Hardware NEW!
    BigBruin NEW!
    HardwareLogic NEW!

Tuniq Tower 120:
    Xbitlabs
    Bjorn3d
    Virtual-Hideout
    OCIA
    AMDboard
    Bigbruin
    XtremeComputing
    PCmoddingmy
    Velocityreviews
    ThinkComputers

Thermalright Ultra-120:
    Overclockersonline
    Overclockers
    Hartware
    Frostytech
    Neoseeker
    SPCR
    HardwareLogic
    Pro-clockers (Compared to Scythe Infinity)
    Madshrimps

Scythe Andy Samurai Master:
    X-bit Labs
    Silentpcreview

Cooler Master GeminII
    Xtremesystems-forum (PCcI2iminal - "Coolermaster Geminii vs Scythe Infinity vs Zalman 9700 vs Noctua NH-U12F")
    Hexus (first look, not a review, lots of pics)

Thermalright SI-128
    Overclockers
    DriverHeaven
    Bjorn3D
    Thinkcomputers
    Hartware

Scythe Infinity:
    Hartware
    Technic3D
    SPCR
    Pro-clockers
    Bigbruin (Compared to Thermalright Ultra 120)
    Overclock3D
    vr-zone
    Techpowerup
    PCPerspective

Scythe Ninja:
    Silentpcreview
    Overclockers
    HardwareHell
    Viperlair
    VR-Zone
    Pro-Clockers
    Guru3d
    ThinkComputers
    Hi-TechReviews
    Rojakpot
    Overclockzone

Hartware

Zalman CNPS 9700
    Computerbase
    Obengware
    Hardwaresecrets
    TomsHardware
    Tweaknews

Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX
    Hi-Techreviews
    Thinkcomputers
    Virtual-Hideout
    Legitreviews
    Last edited by AzraelDarkangel; 06-03-2007 at 04:19 PM.
    DistroWatch - find your flavor of Linux
    Petra's Tech Shop - for all your watercooling needs

Xtreme Member
    The Scythe MINE should be in "A+ (louder fan)" category. It gives the same performance as the Ninja but was built for higher airflow.
    ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (04XX)
    O165 CCBWE 0551 UPMW 1.8 GHz @ 2.6 GHz (9x289x4) 1.525V IHSless (SI-120 Bolt Modded)
    Corsair XMS 2GB DDR-400 2-3-3-6 2.75V @ DDR-473 3-3-2-1 2.5V
    ATi X800 Pro 475/450 @ 535/500
    SB Audigy 4
    Samsung 80GB 2MB PATA HDD
    3DMark05: 6000

Ishkur's Guide To Electronic Music

I am Xtreme
    I think the XP-90 shld be in A coolers
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Member
    All the Thermalright heatsinks in the "A" category should probably be changed to one link and "All Thermright Heatsinks." The XP-90, SI-97, and MST-9775 should definitely be included.
    ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (04XX)
    O165 CCBWE 0551 UPMW 1.8 GHz @ 2.6 GHz (9x289x4) 1.525V IHSless (SI-120 Bolt Modded)
    Corsair XMS 2GB DDR-400 2-3-3-6 2.75V @ DDR-473 3-3-2-1 2.5V
    ATi X800 Pro 475/450 @ 535/500
    SB Audigy 4
    Samsung 80GB 2MB PATA HDD
    3DMark05: 6000

Ishkur's Guide To Electronic Music

Xtreme Member
    Tuniq Tower 120 stock fan at max speed is far from quiet...

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks Darkangel. I love it! If this doesn't become a sticky, this thread will get weekly bumps. I hope you plan to update your post as new heatsinks become available. Good work!
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by r3w4
    The Scythe MINE should be in "A+ (louder fan)" category. It gives the same performance as the Ninja but was built for higher airflow.
    Could be, I'll check out more reviews. The ratings system I was using is to some extent a matter of opinion. A+ is for coolers that Are so good that reviewers disagree which is the absolute best available. A is still very very good but are not considered the absolute best when compared to A+ coolers. Also it is difficult to define what is considered a loud fan, that is also a matter of opinion, as a rough guide I was considering fans above around 35db as measured in reviews to be loud and also what reviewers thought was loud or not.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NickS
    I think the XP-90 shld be in A coolers
    I will most likely need to edit A coolers a bit, but I was primarily looking at coolers that are about equal or best the Thermalright XP-120. The XP-90 is good but not equal to it's larger brother. There are many good coolers that would be fine for most users that I have not listed. I could make a B catagory, but it would take a while and I really don't see the point. There will always be some disagreement because of so many possible factors effecting performance and because of that some disagreement between reviewers.
    Last edited by AzraelDarkangel; 07-14-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanometer
    Thanks Darkangel. I love it! If this doesn't become a sticky, this thread will get weekly bumps. I hope you plan to update your post as new heatsinks become available. Good work!
    No problem, I'll try to keep it updated and edited. Hope it's worthy to be a sticky! I've never written anything like this before, but I've read so many reviews I figured why not?

Xtreme Member
    Are you serious about that Zalman CNPS9500?
    That's totally not an A+ cooler!

An Arctic Freezer 7/64 pro performs equally good and is half the price!
    I put an Enermax 120mm on mine for benching and then it surpasses the CNPS9500 with ease.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SMa
    Are you serious about that Zalman CNPS9500?
    That's totally not an A+ cooler!

An Arctic Freezer 7/64 pro performs equally good and is half the price!
    I put an Enermax 120mm on mine for benching and then it surpasses the CNPS9500 with ease.
    Different coolers perform different in different cases with different cpu's and with different fans. In this review:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article267-page1.html
    it bests a Scythe Ninja. In some other reviews it doesn't do as well. In all cases it only seems to perform really well only at high fan speeds.

I would probably buy an Arctic Freezer over the Zalman, but I'm not trying to play favorites. I'm just trying to summerize other peoples reviews. Why not post your own review with your two coolers?
    Last edited by AzraelDarkangel; 07-15-2006 at 03:15 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You can add the Scythe Infinity to the A+ category.

http://www.hartware.de/review_604_7.html
    Rig : Core 2 Duo E6600 | Scythe Mine | 2x 1gb OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum XTC | Asus P5B Premium Vista Edition| eVGA 8800GTS 320Mb | 1x Seagate 80gb SATA2 2x 250gb WD SATA2 SE16 Raid0 | SB X-Fi | OCZ GameXstream 600W | Silverstone TJ06 case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vric
    You can add the Scythe Infinity to the A+ category.

http://www.hartware.de/review_604_7.html
    Well at least that review shows room temperature. Would be nice to see the Infinity tested within a degree of the same room temps as the others. However if you assume the same room temps it does look like it would beat everything else there by a degree or more. I'll grant it probationary A+ pending more reviews I may keep it there or not. Thanks for the info.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel
    Well at least that review shows room temperature. Would be nice to see the Infinity tested within a degree of the same room temps as the others. However if you assume the same room temps it does look like it would beat everything else there by a degree or more. I'll grant it probationary A+ pending more reviews I may keep it there or not. Thanks for the info.

Add this roundup to the list

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Xtreme Addict

Smile Great Work!

Wow! Great work AzraelDarkangel! This has been something greatly needed for a long time. You’ve done this community a great service! Thank you!

However, one problem I'm seeing is how will someone know if these large ones will run into caps or memory sticks on their motherboard? This is always a problem I run into. I even got stuck with one because I ruined it when I tried to very slightly cut off the tip off the ends of some heat pipes that were running into some memory sticks... which by the way I warn no one to EVER do! Find a way to sell it or send it back if you have this problem! Lie to customer service if you have to!

Also, a good way to improve the performance of ANY XP model, including the 90, 90c, and 120, is to flip the fan over and have it suck the air off the cooler instead of blowing on it.

Also if you want to further upgrade the performance of an XP-120 or an XP-90, you can tape a sheet of sand paper to a flat glass table (or anything else hard, and perfectly flat), then push the cooler around with the plate against the sand paper with four fingers with equally distributed weight on each corner, to lathe off the nickel plating off the plate to get to the copper. Then use a worn out sanding sponge to polish the exposed copper on the 90 and 120. After this, use a clean paper towel to rub away any fine dust. You'll know if its picking it up if the paper turns color. Do this as many times as you need to, using a clean area of the paper towel when it gets too dirty to clean with. When all the dust is gone, the paper towel will be white when you pull it away after rubbing the copper with it. Then immediately mount it! If you wait, the copper will tarnish, and this can happen very quickly. Don't walk away and put it off to do later. If you wait, you will have to clean it, which isn't fun.

Just make sure you're willing to pay to replace the cooler if you screw up. If the cooler is tilting to one side because the plate is lopsided, then you've messed up. And if you take too much off the plate while trying to straighten it, then you've ruined it.

I did this once with some incredible results on the first try, and it was like looking into a mirror. I didn't see a single solitary fine scratch. The surface was just beautiful.

Remember, you have to use a worn out fine sanding sponge for this, not a new one! You can wear out a new one by rubbing it against a piece of fine sand paper, then cleaning it the way to clean a chalkboard erasor to get out the dust. Just don't ruin it or tear it, or you'll scratch the copper plate.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 07-15-2006 at 04:52 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Member
    Very slick! I've been looking around and there's no comprehensive guide. Great thread!

Xtreme Addict
    I also think the XP-120 and XP-90 should be added to A+ with "(fan on suck and lathed)" after them, cause these are both easy things to do, the first being the easiest. I got a perfectly lathed copper plate on an XP-120 on the first try, and it came out beautifully! I posted a picture of it a year or so ago in the forum.

That's what I like about the XP-120. There are two ways to easily enhance its performance, and bring it up to par with the toughest competition. This can also be done to the XP-90 and bring it pretty close to the performance of the 120. I think with these changes the XP-120 and XP90c perform about the same, with the XP-90 trailing right behind, not that far away. And the XP-120 will perform head to head with the Big Typhoon after these changes as well. Really, I don't know why they don't just make an all copper XP-120c. One of those would give the Big Typhoon a run for its money.

Also if you flip the fan over on suck for the XP-90c, that raises its performance, and this is not a mod, so I think that should qualify it for the bottom of the A+ list. Its not as great as the others at the top, but its pretty damn good for a 90mm fan cooler. Also there are 90mm fans that perform well that arn't THAT loud. I think thats misleading. Also, I've heard you can adapt a 120mm fan to the XP-90c.... although I've never seen it done... but would love to see a picture of that if anyone has it.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 07-15-2006 at 05:11 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella
    I also think the XP-120 and XP-90 should be added to A+ with "(fan on suck and lathed)" after them, cause these are both easy things to do, the first being the easiest. I got a perfectly lathed copper plate on an XP-120 on the first try, and it came out beautifully! I posted a picture of it a year or so ago in the forum.

That's what I like about the XP-120. There are two ways to easily enhance its performance, and bring it up to par with the toughest competition. This can also be done to the XP-90 and bring it pretty close to the performance of the 120. I think with these changes the XP-120 and XP90c perform about the same, with the XP-90 trailing right behind, not that far away. And the XP-120 will perform head to head with the Big Typhoon after these changes as well. Really, I don't know why they don't just make an all copper XP-120c. One of those would give the Big Typhoon a run for its money.

Also if you flip the fan over on suck for the XP-90c, that raises its performance, and this is not a mod, so I think that should qualify it for the bottom of the A+ list. Its not as great as the others at the top, but its pretty damn good for a 90mm fan cooler. Also there are 90mm fans that perform well that arn't THAT loud. I think thats misleading. Also, I've heard you can adapt a 120mm fan to the XP-90c.... although I've never seen it done... but would love to see a picture of that if anyone has it.
    Maybe I'll add a section to my faq about improvements that can be made to a cooler to improve it such as lapping the base. I've also thought about adding a section on fan types or adding links with fan reviews. I'm not going to put a heatsink from A catagory to A+ "with lapped base" because a lot of heatsinks might qualify for A+ if you lapp the base and such and I have no reliable, detailed info about which heatsinks exactly would or would not be improved enough to compete with the heatsinks I have already listed in A+. I have the XP-90C already listed in A+. I didn't list the XP-90 because I figured it would be redundant, why bother when the XP-90C is available and better? Thanks for the suggestions.

Xtreme Member
    nice roundup. i have Scythe Mine w/ 120mm yate loon and its silent. temps are great even though its been hot and humid in SoCal. it replaced my aging but excellent XP-90 w/ 92mm panaflo L1BX. now my idle temps are ~35c and loads are never over 50c (dual core cpu = hot!)
    i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz - Corsair A70 | Biostar TP67B+ | G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 2x2GB | MSI HD7950 TF3 | X-Fi Titanium | WD 750GB Black | CM 690 II - Corsair TX850 | 2xDell 2407WFP A04/A03 | Win 7 Pro x64

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=48222

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you reckon you could add an "ease of fitting" rating. I've heard some of these are right b'stards to fit.
    It was a long road and one that is now over. Behold the updatedrig:

NEC MultiSync LCD20WGX2 20.1" Widescreen // Antec P182 GunMetal // OCZ StealthXstream 700w // Gigabyte EP45-UD3P //
    Q9550 @ 3.44Ghz // Tuniq Tower 120 // Gainward GTX260 (896MB) @ 580/900 // 8GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 (OCZ2P10664GK) //
    60GB OCZ Vertex 2 // 600GB WD VelociRaptor (WD6000HLHX)// 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 (HD103UJ) // RED Saitek Eclipse //
    3x Sanyo-Denki 102.5cfm 120x38mm fan // 1x Delta 80cfm 80mm fan in modified 5.25" bay "Flipped" Sunbeam Rheobus //
    1x Antec Tricool 120mm fan // 1x RED Akasa System Exhaust fan // RED Sunbeam Meteor lights // RED Razer Diamondback //

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrakerâ„¢
    you reckon you could add an "ease of fitting" rating. I've heard some of these are right b'stards to fit.
    I'll look into it but I don't think I could do a very accurate comparison since "difficult" is a matter of personal experience. I might be able to add a notation to the coolers that multiple reviewers found particularly difficult to install.

I am Xtreme
    I'm really liking that Noctua 12. That with two yates on it wld be awesome, push pull.
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Member
    Nice roundup.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It is a nice round up. I have my Tuniq Tower 120 here. Just hoping it lives up to the billing once my system is fully here.

I'm on the lookout for another one though. lol. So still awaiting stock on that side.
    It was a long road and one that is now over. Behold the updatedrig:

NEC MultiSync LCD20WGX2 20.1" Widescreen // Antec P182 GunMetal // OCZ StealthXstream 700w // Gigabyte EP45-UD3P //
    Q9550 @ 3.44Ghz // Tuniq Tower 120 // Gainward GTX260 (896MB) @ 580/900 // 8GB OCZ PC2-8500C5 (OCZ2P10664GK) //
    60GB OCZ Vertex 2 // 600GB WD VelociRaptor (WD6000HLHX)// 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 (HD103UJ) // RED Saitek Eclipse //
    3x Sanyo-Denki 102.5cfm 120x38mm fan // 1x Delta 80cfm 80mm fan in modified 5.25" bay "Flipped" Sunbeam Rheobus //
    1x Antec Tricool 120mm fan // 1x RED Akasa System Exhaust fan // RED Sunbeam Meteor lights // RED Razer Diamondback //

And how about the CNPS7700-Cu?
    Here my new site... Work in progress...

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast