Thread: No Haswell refresh for existing motherboards :(

Xtreme Member

No Haswell refresh for existing motherboards :(

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...s_a_Catch.html

This must be the worst CPU generation from Intel in a long time. Difficult to overclock, not much of a speed gain, and now no upgrade path!!!
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

Intel has gone full retard.

they may change their mind again... any minute they may come up with some other great idea
    INTEL i5 4670K @ 5.2GHz - GIGABYTE Z87X-UD3H - CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO BLUE - Palit GTX 770 OC - XFX Pro XXX 850W - SanDisk Extreme SSD 120GB

Lol

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Addict
    This is the new normal for the mainstream platform from Intel. Intel is using mainstream enthusiasts as beta testers, gathering info and refining their process for later iterations of the Xeon platform and the neutered, so-called HEDT platform. I would expect Broadwell to be the last mainstream LGA chip. By doing this, Intel is getting mainstream enthusiasts used to replacing their boards and CPUs together and not just the CPU. This is the first step toward BGA systems that integrate the CPU and motherboard. This strategy won't fly for the neutered, so-called HEDT platform, as business customers who use the Xeon upon which the HEDT is (very loosely) based would never tolerate the loss of flexibility that an integrated platform would impose. But Intel can get away with it for mainstream users...and will.
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Xtreme Member
    Great, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place now. Was trying to decide to wait fort he C2 version motherboards. Now this comes along and tops it all off. So what is the point of buying a high end z87 board now? Looks like a C2 mid-range board is the place to be now. Because if you buy a high end then you can't carry it over in 2014 to use it again. This is what happens when you have no competition to keep Intel in check.

Xtreme Mentor
    Apparantly the last two gens of Intel CPUs also need delidding to get acceptable temperatures when OCing according to stuff I read on other forums. I got my I7 980 @ 1.4v and 4.5 Ghz running cooler on air than 3770ks @ 1.3v / 4.6 Ghz without de lidding, based on other peoples temperatures (90+ degrees), but then when they were delidded they fell to under 70 degrees.

Put me right off any temptation of getting a new CPU.

Administrator
    We have known this for sometime now haven't we.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Apparantly the last two gens of Intel CPUs also need delidding to get acceptable temperatures when OCing according to stuff I read on other forums. I got my I7 980 @ 1.4v and 4.5 Ghz running cooler on air than 3770ks @ 1.3v / 4.6 Ghz without de lidding, based on other peoples temperatures (90+ degrees), but then when they were delidded they fell to under 70 degrees.

Put me right off any temptation of getting a new CPU.

Yeah, I'm really pissed. I bought a 4770K because my Sandy Bridge motherboard broke down. I saw that the Haswell chips are actually a good upgrade if you use the Dolphin emulator a lot. Figuring to overclock it to 4.3 Ghz as an easy overclock. Well, it's not easy. This thing heats up even with minor voltage increases. I had no idea delidding + watercooling is almost a requirement for this thing.

What boggles my mind is that all these sites that reviewed the Haswell processors received CPU's that overclocked easily. Then the retail versions arrive, and it's not the same at all. But do you see those review sites retract their conclusions about the possible overclocks? No, almost nobody corrects the final review. Intel has them all in their pocket.
    Asus Z87 Deluxe, 4770K,Noctua NH-D14, Crucial 16 GB DDR3-1600, Geforce Titan, ASUS DRW-24B3ST, Crucial M500 960GB, Crucial M4 256GB, 3 X Seagate 4TB, Lamptron FC5 V2 Fancontroller, Noctua Casefans, Antec P183 Black, Asus Essence STX, Corsair AX860i, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, Win7 Home Pro 64 bit + Win 8.1 Home 64 bit Dual boot, ASUS VG278H

I am Xtreme
    Not everybody used silly ES results mate (click link) we directly noticed our retail batches were far less impressive in voltages and temperatures and opted to include them in the review iso the ES sample...

And indeed all of them that still use ES in reviews should be obliged to swap their ES for your dud clocking CPU, as it's a total different ballpark...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Not everybody used silly ES results mate (click link) we directly noticed our retail batches were far less impressive in voltages and temperatures and opted to include them in the review iso the ES sample...

And indeed all of them that still use ES in reviews should be obliged to swap their ES for your dud clocking CPU, as it's a total different ballpark...

Just read your review. It's pretty good. Still the 4.5Ghz with air cooling on the 4770K is really better than most people can expect. I have not yet really started testing to overclock this CPU, as I have just done 100's of hours of bug hunting with my Sandy Bridge system, so for now I have had enough of testing stuff.

BUT when I started using my 4770K, I ONLY changed one thing in the BIOS: sync all cores (so they would all boost to 3.9 Ghz). Even that was not stable!!!! I could do burn in programs fine (like OCCT, AID64 etc), however playing F1 2012 or BF3 gave me a BSOD 124. I really don't understand this. It was not the temps as they never went above 65C.

I also tried to auto overclock with the Asus AI Suite 3, which gave me 4.3 Ghz. This was not stable at all, BF3 gave a BSOD 124 in a few minutes time (temps were not too hot), and all burn in programs stopped after a minute or so because the heat was too high, since the Adaptive Voltage was pushing the the voltage way up. I don't know if having 6 drives connected to the motherboard has any impact on the possible overclocks.

Anyway, I hope some day to have an overclock of 4.2 Ghz that is 100% stable, and if possible still uses Adaptive Voltage, but I'm beginning to doubt it.