So after having my Samsung x120 laptop for about 3 years now I decided it needed to be a bit faster than it currently was. The spec is a 1.3GHz pentium su4100 with a GS45 chipset

First of all I needed to find out what kind of clock generator the laptop used, preferably without taking the thing apart. I stumbled upon the well documented overclocking efforts centred around the Samsung NC10 netbook, which is about the same age and contains a CV179CNLG clock generator. Lo and behold it did in fact work and I managed to successfully overclock the laptop from a stock 1.3 GHz to 1.5GHz. Then I performed a few quick tests to see if it worked:

Stock 1.3GHz (200 FSB):

Hyper-Pi 1M (1-core): 40.749s
X2 - The Threat rolling benchmark: 30.545 FPS

Overclocked 1.5GHz (230 FSB):

Hyper-Pi 1M (1-core): 34.108
X2 - The Threat rolling benchmark: 37.549 FPS

CPU-Z Validation link: http://valid.canardpc.com/2885425

Overclocking the FSB to 240 caused some instability in that it would crash after about an hour of running 3D applications. The problem is potentially related to memory as I feel as if I should relax the memory timings somewhat at the higher bus speed. I might also disable speedstep and see how that goes. Although I'm not running a matched pair of RAM sticks one is rated up to DDR3-1200 and the other DDR3-1333, so it should not be a problem at higher bus speeds. The chip also has a nice and low VID so I think there's plenty of head room there.

The interesting thing to note is that whilst the hyper pi benchmark does show pretty much exact scaling with CPU speed (15%), the X2 game benchmark shows a non linear scaling. I'm not sure of the reason for this but it might have something to do with the increased memory speed helping the CPU performance even more.

Also I'd like to know if a program such as memset is reversible on reboot, as I don't feel like bricking my RAM by changing the timings if that isn't the case.