Thread: Creative X-Fi Titanium - Audio modes, what exactly does each mode do?

Creative X-Fi Titanium - Audio modes, what exactly does each mode do?

So I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

I have Entertainment mode and Game mode, as well as Audio creation mode (AFAIK this is something I don't have use for)

Other than reading the descriptions in the software (which are all just buzzwords this and that becomes awesome and stuff).. What exactly is changing in the driver/software/hardware or maybe what is actually being done different in each of the modes that can help me pick what's best for what activity?

In general I guess what I'm trying to figure out is a technical explanation of what switching modes adds/removes to my experience. I've tried some googling around but can't seem to find the answer I want...
    Dec 2012 setup:
    • i7 920 @ ~4.4Ghz 1.354v |Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 3*4GB @~1680mhz CAS8T1 | DFI UT LP X58-T3EH8 w/Flame Frezer | Radeon 6990 4GB
    • X-Fi Titanium Fataility Championship Series | Intel 510 Series SSD 250GB + 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair AX1200
    • Cooling: HWLabs GTX560, Four Silverstone AP141, EK Supreme Plexi CPU, DangerDen Full Cover GPU, D5 with bitspower top and male-male direct connect to DD Monsoon
    • Mountain Mods Monticle 24 w/Custom cut panels, Anodized black, Acrylic panel on Reverse ATX setup | Tripple ASUS VH238H 23" 1080p LED | Logitech G500+Leopold Cherry Reds | Ultrasone H-FI 780

I am Xtreme
    Entertainment mode: master sampling rate of 24 bit/96 kHz, EAX 3.
    Game mode: master sample rate of 24 bit/48 kHz, EAX 5.
    Audio creation mode: master sample rate can be set manually, BitPerfect playback option. Not sure about EAX.

So use game mode for games, entertainment mode for movies, audio creation mode for music.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Thats kinda dumb. Why cant there just be a normal area where you select the options you want turned on, sample rate/bit depth and then leave it alone? To have to change between "modes" is just a hassle.
    Last edited by EniGmA1987; 01-05-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Entertainment mode: master sampling rate of 24 bit/96 kHz, EAX 3.
    Game mode: master sample rate of 24 bit/48 kHz, EAX 5.
    Audio creation mode: master sample rate can be set manually, BitPerfect playback option. Not sure about EAX.

So use game mode for games, entertainment mode for movies, audio creation mode for music.
    Damn dude, awesome explanation and exactly the stats I wanted to find out
    EAX isn't implemented in any games I play so I was hard pressed to stay on Game mode, and entertainment mode didn't seem to be really "better" per-se...
    Thank you very much!
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    Thats kinda dumb. Why cant there just be a normal area where you select the options you want turned on sample rate/bit deptch and then leave it alone? To ahve to change between "modes" is just a hassle.
    Not sure if you've noticed but a lot of people hate Creative's products because of silly things like this... I've used other high end sound cards and this was the only one that made me switch modes to access certain settings within the software/driver. I'm just now learning what else it delivers though
    Dec 2012 setup:
    • i7 920 @ ~4.4Ghz 1.354v |Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback 3*4GB @~1680mhz CAS8T1 | DFI UT LP X58-T3EH8 w/Flame Frezer | Radeon 6990 4GB
    • X-Fi Titanium Fataility Championship Series | Intel 510 Series SSD 250GB + 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair AX1200
    • Cooling: HWLabs GTX560, Four Silverstone AP141, EK Supreme Plexi CPU, DangerDen Full Cover GPU, D5 with bitspower top and male-male direct connect to DD Monsoon
    • Mountain Mods Monticle 24 w/Custom cut panels, Anodized black, Acrylic panel on Reverse ATX setup | Tripple ASUS VH238H 23" 1080p LED | Logitech G500+Leopold Cherry Reds | Ultrasone H-FI 780

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by EniGmA1987 View Post
    Thats kinda dumb. Why cant there just be a normal area where you select the options you want turned on sample rate/bit deptch and then leave it alone? To ahve to change between "modes" is just a hassle.
    That's the only thing I don't like about X-Fi.
    I guess they made it that way because sampling rates and other special terms are too complicated for ordinary consumers, and modes make more sense.

Sort of tempting to check out ZxR, no modes there. But three times the price, plus I don't need the daughter card, and hardware acceleration is gone... Seems like money burned on what is actually a downgrade.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

So after playing around with the card more... ASIO drivers seem unstable as setting a master sample rate of 44100HZ to match the audio I was using causes the system to crash... And I can't manually set the sample rate anywhere else..

While we're at it, anyone got a sound card to recommend based on good software?
    Dec 2012 setup:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShoura View Post
    So after playing around with the card more... ASIO drivers seem unstable as setting a master sample rate of 44100HZ to match the audio I was using causes the system to crash... And I can't manually set the sample rate anywhere else..

While we're at it, anyone got a sound card to recommend based on good software?
    software to do what?
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....