Thread: fastest fanless pc in the world?

fastest fanless pc in the world?

I'm not sure whether to post this here or not for fear of getting flamed
    This is an extreme system I guess but in the opposite way to most things posted on this site

Here is a quick teaser

time to retire the old girl - shes served me well for 7 years or so but I am sick of the noise!

not sure what to do with the vapo now she is just s a stripped shell

a quick tease of the future

and yes this will be a gaming rig

does anyone want to see more?

So my goal was to create a totally silent pc with no fans or mechanical moving parts
    It is impossible to make a top of the line gaming pc due to the high heat output of high end graphics cards

So I started researching - luckily just released recently was the intel 3770t low wattage i7 chip at 45w tdp and the hd7700 graphics card at only 75w tpd
    The ideal cooler for the cpu is the nofan cr95c along with accelero s1 plus cooler for the gpu (both fanless)
    Because of the huge size of the heatsinks low profile ram will also need to be used

Another problem was the powerpack - all high wattage ones have fans - the best I could possibly get is the seasonic 460w fanless (a great powerpack though)
    Out goes old style mechanical hard drives to make way for ssd drives which are totally silent

All encased in a nofan case with lost of hex mesh all over the case to allow convection to cool everthing (hopefully)

I am a bit paranoid about total meltdown on such a project so I also invested in a G19 keyboard to use the lcd screen to display temps at all times

The only part that isn't silent but will only be used to install windows is the optical drive - there is no such thing as a silent one

So off we go shopping )

to be continued

So the installation part

After building vapochill / water cooled rigs in the past this was very easy
    No pcb lacquer to worry about or messy dielectric grease )

the only slight snag I hit was the size of the accelero cooler is so large that the crossfire bridge sould not fit around them
    A quick bit of persuasion with the old dremmel sorted this )

cpu cooler looks like a giant hamster wheel and quite some size (180x140mm)

All bolted together

I hope it all works without flames )

Xtreme Addict
    mmmmm 1gb videocard....
    bad idea....

I know its not the best but the next card up is the 7850 which does have 2gb ram but puts out 130w tdp
    I am totally open to anyones suggestions for improvements to this setup (fans excluded)

Xtreme Addict
    A single 7850 would be better than the CF 7770's, plus it would have a lower total TDP
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Cruncher
    Also, you may want to check on that power supply. I'm quite sure those were designed in mind to have some air flow (think case fan) going through them.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Addict
    Actually I don't think he has to worry about that PSU much if it's anything like the other seasonic x series. I have a x650, I have never seen the fan come on once, running 2500k @ 4.5, and SLI 460's.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

The seasonic is not getting warm at all, you can here its caps buzzing slightly if you put your ear right next to it, is this normal?

Under normal browsing temps are around high 40's low 50's c on both gpus and CPU
    When gaming the CPU hovers around 65c and the top gpu 80c wirh the bttom gpu at 75c
    3d mark and furmark are causing the machine to overheat after about 10-15mins
    I need to improve cooling on the gpu, maybe some fins on the back of the cards?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No point, the ATX case format is flawed for convection. The darn sinks are pointing the wrong way, should've had a upside down ATX case and stuck with a single GPU.
    I BLEED TOXIC GREEN

Xtreme Member
    Maybe one slow rpm fan, I know that you dont want any, but the hot air just stagnates in the case. Its normal that it overheats after 15 minutes. A 700 rpm fan is pretty much inaudible, if you pick the right one. Or run you computer on a bench or open air enviroment. If there's not a fan pulling the hot air out of the case, it doesn't matter how low-heat your parts are - as they slowly warm up the air in the case, they'll keep getting warmer themselves.

Check out http://www.silentpcreview.com/

And to actually claim fastest fanless pc in the world, I think you actually need to be able to run a benchmark... ;-)
    Last edited by the_dope_chaud; 09-05-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i3 530 @ 4.2 ghz, evga FTW, 4 gig gskill trident @ 1600 6-8-6-24, XFX 4870 1gb, corsair 620hx, 2 x kinston 64gig ssd raid0, 300 gig Velociraptor, 2Tb WD green,
    Tagan black pearl (lian-li v2000)
    Water: mcp655, mcr320 with ultra kazes, GTZ, mcr60, micro-res,
    black primochill, bitspower comp. fittings
    Quote Originally Posted by Afghan Mac View Post
    We'll spend a few hundred bucks because the color isn't quite right. We have no qualms voiding warranties on a thousand dollar item the day we get it.

You might as well run a couple silent fans since convection is moving air through your case anyway. I'm building a small all aluminum heatsink case right now for an itx board with a 2600k. I'll probably use the igpu.
    Closed case with no in/out airflow but it will have one internal fan to circulate the air inside and prevent hotspots. I'll do a thread on it when it's complete and tested.