Thread: Trouble picking a high end 27" monitor

Xtreme Enthusiast

Trouble picking a high end 27" monitor

Hey guys, I'm building a new PC and I've already picked out all of my parts. I have $800 dollars to spend on this monitor, but I have no idea which monitor to buy. I game relatively competitively @ 1920x1200 with 2 HD6950 2GB cards. I'd like a 27" monitor.

What do you guys recommend?

I've been considering this monitor:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...U?tag=at055-20

thanks for any help in advance
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Personally I'd go for this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-U2711-2...#ht_3113wt_906

It would be WAY better image quality than the 6 bit panel you mentioned. The only tradeoff is no 120Hz, so no 3D.

I recommend buying something used off Craigslist. I'm not sure what your timetable looks like but if you're patient you can usually find pretty good deals on monitors. I know its 30" not 27", but I've seen 3007WFP-HC for around $500 in near perfect condition.
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | x48 Rampage Formula | 8 GB OCZ Platinum @ 4-4-4-12 | EVGA + ZOTAC GTX 470 SLI | PCP+C 860W

I am Xtreme
    I couldn't recommend the U2711 unless you have used Dell panels in the past. The AG coating is horrible and makes the U2711 look rather poor.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    I couldn't recommend the U2711 unless you have used Dell panels in the past. The AG coating is horrible and makes the U2711 look rather poor.
    Sounds to be a rare and very atypical and rather biased opinion considering the vast majority of U2711 users, and Dell display users in general speak of no such problem. It's more likely your room lighting is the problem.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Maniac View Post
    Sounds to be a rare and very atypical and rather biased opinion considering the vast majority of U2711 users, and Dell display users in general speak of no such problem. It's more likely your room lighting is the problem.
    More likely they haven't had to compare it to a display that doesn't have the aggressive AG coating. Google 'U2711 AG coating' and you'll find results of people who don't like it. I have two U2711's as well as a 27" iMac. I can't tell you how bad the U2711's look like compared to the iMac.