Thread: Help building a HTGPC...thing.

Xtreme Addict

Help building a HTGPC...thing.

Okay, let me preface this by saying a couple things.

First, I try to keep up on things to a point I know what's still relevant, but haven't been deep into building a scratch system for a couple years...I mainly use a laptop; I'd like that to change. Also, combining cable + PC will be a new experience for me. I don't know exactly what's feasible and what's asking too much for one box, but hope to make it work. That leads me to my second point, which is that I know many say combining purposes (file server, gaming machine, HTPC) is a bad idea. Well, I'm (primarily) one guy in a small house. While I have multiple sets and a laptop, only one (or at most two) will be used at any given time, and mostly the primary. My only real issue is the question of using the same system to watch/stream/DVR programming/HQV while occasionally running a game at the same time. Nothing too hardcore, and while I want to do things right, understand there will be compromises and nothing's perfect. My main concern is consolidation.

Simply, my plan is this. Build a box for HTPC use/1080p gaming, ran through an AVR, connected to the main and one other through dual outs (office or bedroom, haven't decided yet). The rig will use a HD cablecard tuner to replace my STB units. The main room will use 5.1, the other 2ch. The sets are IPS LG LD450s, and I also have a PS3. The graphics card/psu will be closet parts for now (8800gt/HX620), the former updated when the new generation arrives. Everything else is getting replaced. I'd like to keep it <$2500, even if secondary speakers need to be put off and I need to hit FS forums and fleabay.

Here is how far I've gotten into planning:

CPU: 2500k
    RAM: 8GB/16GB
    Motherboad: Asus Z68 Gen3 (can't decide on the gene-z or pro with three SATA3)
    Storage: 128GB SSD + RAID0 + backup?
    Optical: Blu-ray w/Lightscribe
    Case: ?
    Cooling: ?
    Cablecard tuner: Hauppage DCR-2650
    Mouse/keyboard/remote: ?
    AVR: Denon 3311 or Onkyo NR709?
    Speakers: ? (front left+right < 8in wide/deep if wall-mountable, center < 8 in deep)

Random questions:

Form factor/Cooling: I'd like it to be small & reasonably quiet after a moderate overclock. Are there any (microatx) cases out there would accommodate a decent amount of internal HDDs, a full size power supply/GFX card and preferably 2 or more 120-140mm fans? It would be nice to use something like Corsair or Antec's closed loop wc's or something equally as small/efficient/quiet. If a better option, what's a good suggestion these days for an air cooler+fans that would fit in a mATX case? I don't really care if it is a HTPC (AV component)-style, but I would like to put it on a shelf mount to minimize cable clutter. Hence, at least a mini-tower.

Storage: I'm going to wait for the Great Storage War of 2012 between Samsung and Intel before investing in a nice big boot drive, but would like to maintain a reasonably quick storage solution. Media/Games/music are going to need a ton of space, hence I was thinking 2x2TB, with a 2TB (Samsung F4s?) backup for essentials. I had considered Raid 5/6/10, but ruled it out because of the mATX form factor and the fact I may need to reconfigure another system if this all indeed blows up in my face. Yes...I understand that's a possibility, but I want to try to make it work.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of which gear to grab and best make this dream a reality, if it's not completely asinine.

Thanks guys!
    That is all.

Peace and love.

Xtreme Addict
    RAID can be a hassle. I prefer using two separate drives, one for TV shows and the other for movies. Or a 2TB for HD movies and a 1TB for SD movies works well too. External drives for backups are best since you are very limited on space.

Also, the 2500k is a great choice for this especially if you plan on using any emulators to upscale and play some SNES or Sega. Get a couple USB active repeater cables and two USB controllers (I like the Alienware controllers the best) and you have a great old school gaming area.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod