Thread: Sony SLT-A77 has arrived!

Xtremeish

Sony SLT-A77 has arrived!

Very impressive specifications!
    However, how well will that EVF and sensor perform in rl?

Sony SLT-A77 key specifications:
    24MP CMOS Sensor
    12fps continuous shooting with autofocus
    1080p60 movies with autofocus
    2.4M dot OLED viewfinder
    1/8000th maximum shutter speed, shutter rated for 150,000 actuations
    ISO 100 - 16,000 (25,600 with multi-image combination)
    Auto ISO with customisable lower and upper limits
    Optional, profile-based correction of vignetting, chromatic aberrations and geometric distortion
    Pull-out three-hinge tilt/swivel 920k dot LCD screen
    Built-in GPS
    Top panel LCD
    Stereo microphone and external mic socket
    AF Micro Adjust

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonyslta77/
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Addict
    They have some samples at DPreview, just galleries are not working atm. Plus theres some article at luminous landscape.

I think that RAW + good convertor + noise PP + exceptional lens will work. It will be lens killer camera, but still, even when downsized to 14-18 mpix, it will be better than competition.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Enthusiast
    In bodies Sony has done some exceptional work. Their SLRs have improved vastly in a few generations, even if now pseudo SLR, and they are doing even better in mirror less evil category with the superb NEX C3 and the NEX 7. Olympus, Panasonic and Samsung are in big big trouble.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I find the NEX7 more interesting than the A77.

Same sensor, but no light loss due to the lack of the translucent mirror present in the A77.
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Member
    People are currently concerned with the poor high ISO performance. Time will tell though. I have held all the Sony DSLR/T and they are missing the magical touch. They feel cold and industrialized toys, not like an artists tool. It's a hard feeling to describe but they just don't resonate with me as well as I'd like. The NEX cameras, on the other hand, feel really nice and are a blast to use.
    2600K + Sabertooth + 560Ti

Xtreme Addict
    I definetly cant say that Canon or Nikon pro bodies are something more than tool. That can be said maybe about Leica cameras. Most modern cameras are just tools, no personality at all. On other hand, not sure if theres some need for more than just a tool.

And then theres always Leica.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Member
    Sony needs more lenses to get people to switch. They have arguably the best 70-200 and then 135CZ but that's it for their spectacular (still plenty of good lenses, just not any legendary ones) lens choices. It isn't enough to convince people to switch, especially since the SLT concept is still frightening. If they are truly targeting prosumers, then they have a nitch which needs exploitation. That means a cheap FF camera, a re-introduction of the rokkor line-up, and any remotely good lens for the NEX system (apparently the CZ24 is overpriced for its performance). That being said, I still look forward to playing with their new stuff but am an unlikely buyer.

Xtreme Addict
    They have a lot of very interesting lenses. Zeiss zooms (pretty much best, but in same time very expensive), 135mm STF (one of a kind lens), decent quality 70-400 and 70-300. There should be 500mm f4 soon-ish (next year or so).

They have cheap and decent quality lens too, 85mm f2.8 for example.

Only issue is quality control, warranty and price for repair which can be pretty insane sometimes. And if you want best from Sony, its very expensive, maybe even more than from Canikon. But without weathersealing, sturdy build quality. Which kinda counts in "pro" world.

Sure A900 survives a lot and that 24-70mm Zeiss is somewhat resistent too, but still most of their cameras are more studio cams then "go out and shoot". Definetly not 1D or D3 build quality (or D700).
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Xtreme Member
    It won't stop me from trying a NEX-7. Unless the reviews are horrible, I think I'll give it a shot.

Xtreme Addict
    NEX-7 seems fines. Quite decent build (probably best of mirrorless), its not too small, so it will be easier to handle than miniature C-3. OLED EVF can be great. And its compatibile with pretty much every existing lens. I think that only high ISO wont be exactly best, otherwise, it can be pretty amazing camera.. now just if they decide to make fullframe NEX in future.
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Xtreme Member
    I'm interested but lenses seem to be the problem. I know I'll start with the 16mm 30mm and 50mm but the rest will have to be adapted lenses. I don't know what to pick.

Xtreme Addict
    Depends which NEX you want (I would recommand NEX-5N, seems like best choice now) and how much you want pay for lenses. Those lens with NEX arent that bad as it seems. They are just not great and m4/3 lens are quite hardcore competition (m4/3 sensors on other hand are no competition at all).
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD