Thread: access at college?

Xtreme Member

access at college?

Ok, so i am going off the college this fall. I have been recently considering getting a cascade or SS though. I have a dice pot currently, but dice is a pita for me to get, so i figure an SS or cascade would be much more convienent than making trips to get dice. But i have also been thinking about ln2. How easy do you think it will be for me to get access to ln2 at college? If i can get it easily, then the SS or cascade would be kind of wasted. If i can't get it, the SS or cacsade seems the way to go. I assume my major could make a difference in the access. I am planning to go into Industrial Engineering. And yes, i know i would have to buy a dewar for ln2 (and a new pot as my current pot wouldn't be good for ln2, barely any mass).

Thanks, rabid

Xtreme Member
    Honestly... do what I did. Make a (more or less) "normal" WC closed loop, and let it sit for 4 years. You probably won't have too much time outside of summer... of course, I went out and bought parts for a mITX build around summer... (Via C3... good stuff back then :p). So I cannot really say I followed my own advice

Xtreme Member
    Well i have lots of benching stuff. All s775 stuff. I'm not specifically talking about my main rig, which is what i get you are talking about.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    I had enough free time while in college to bench. Biggest problem was money. LN2 completely depends on where you go to school. I went to school in Atlanta where LN2 is plentiful so I had no trouble getting 180L dewars delivered to the house I lived at.

Xtreme Member
    I was afraid of that gom; very locational. I am looking at mostly smaller schools, but the biggest would be Western Michigan (20k undergrad, 5k grad). Do you think size of school matters alot too, or moreso location?

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    School size doesn't matter. Consumption by industrial processes is far more important. You need a high local consumption rate to increase volume and thereby drop price. In Atlanta we have a bunch of hospitals, research centers and metal working shops that use a gigantic quantity of LN2 and make bulk LN2 purchasing cheap. If you are out in the sticks where the weekly consumption is only a few hundred to thousand liters they could be trucking that in to the locations from a distance and dramatically increase cost.

For example where I get my LN2 they just fill off a ~50k liter dewar and fill a 180L dewar and let me fill off that. Other people I know have to order their 180L days in advance and have it trucked in from a regional depot.

Xtreme Member
    Man, I'm glad there was no such thing as benching back when I went to school. We were on the cutting edge when 5.25in floppy's turned into 3.5in floppy's, lol!

I can just imagine that "just one more run" turning into an all nighter...with a major exam the next day!

I'd just wait until you get to school, rabid, and get a lay of the land.
    Mobo: eVGA x58 Classified (759)
    CPU: i7-990x
    GPU: 2xGTX 580
    Cooling: F1 Gemini/Tek-9 Fat LN2 | 12k BTU Chiller HK 3.0/DD Water Block
    RAM: 3 x 2gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tracers
    HD: OCZ LE SSD 100GB | OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 60GB
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling 1200W
    Monitor: Dell 2707 LCD