Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 245watt tec

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snot aap View Post
    It's better to use multiple 12V and GND wires and just cut of the molex connector and solder the TEC directly to the psu wires. For me this works fine with a swiftech 24A TEC using an old 2nd hand 30 euro enermax psu with 33A on the 12V. (Which I modified to supply 14V)

Just make sure that you use an A brand psu with enough Amps on the 12V. Its a lot cheaper than buying a meanwell psu.
    that's all well and dandy and that is what you do to use a PC PSU with TECs

BUT we have people wanting to run the TEC and their rig from the same PSU and then what you suggested no longer is applicable generally there aren't enough supply wires.

My arguement with your post is you have only given part of the solution to get the PSU to work if your going to advise this you really ought to include all the other bits you should do to get the PSU working correctly/safely.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 06-11-2010 at 02:57 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    You don't need any special wires. Just use a detachable PCI-E 6-pin cable 3x yellow and 3x black and hook it up to your pelt and PCI-E out on your PSU. I've been running an old C0 940 at 4.5Ghz and 1.52V without any probs using a stock MCW-6500T granted it wouldn't handle 4C/8T loaded. The other D0 i've used could do 4.5Ghz at only 1.39V idle 4C load in games 40C max witht the GTX480 on the same loop at 900/2100 and 1.08V and 1x240mm rad and 2x120mm rads, single DDC pump.
    2600k @ 5.0Ghz 1.54V, Giga Z68, Zotac GTX680 AMP!, Patriot 1066Mhz 8GB RAM, Custom water, Silverstone 1000W, HAF932

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
    that's all well and dandy and that is what you do to use a PC PSU with TECs

BUT
    My arguement with your post is you have only given part of the solution to get the PSU to work if your going to advise this you really ought to include all the other bits you should do to get the PSU working correctly/safely.
    You could also use the same psu, just make sure you connect the pelt to multiple wires and avoid connectors or use a pcie or 3 or 4 regular molexes. Its also advisable to use a multi-rail psu so you have some ocp protection before stuff starts to melt. Just make sure that rail that you are using can deliver the amps you need for the pelt and that you don't connect other stuff to the same rail. Than I see no problem using the same psu to power the rest of your system.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadDamage View Post
    You don't need any special wires. Just use a detachable PCI-E 6-pin cable 3x yellow and 3x black and hook it up to your pelt and PCI-E out on your PSU. I've been running an old C0 940 at 4.5Ghz and 1.52V without any probs using a stock MCW-6500T granted it wouldn't handle 4C/8T loaded. The other D0 i've used could do 4.5Ghz at only 1.39V idle 4C load in games 40C max witht the GTX480 on the same loop at 900/2100 and 1.08V and 1x240mm rad and 2x120mm rads, single DDC pump.
    Most people that have kept up with the times don't have PCI-E connector vacant but yes used as you describe it will work as PCI-E wires are rated up to 12amps each so if you wire the 3 yellow together and the 3 black together you are OK for 36amps which covers most TECs. The detachable 6 pin PCI-E MUST be connected directly to a PCI-E output from the PSU.

You could also use the same psu, just make sure you connect the pelt to multiple wires and avoid connectors or use a pcie or 3 or 4 regular molexes. Its also advisable to use a multi-rail psu so you have some ocp protection before stuff starts to melt. Just make sure that rail that you are using can deliver the amps you need for the pelt and that you don't connect other stuff to the same rail.
    Yes that is absolutely right...BUT most people worrried enough to use TECs to cool have got pretty big rigs and won't generally have enough spare wires (you need one yellow and one black wire for each 7 amps.) it is not advisable to mount multiple wires in the molex because they are only rated for 8amps, generally you are better off cutting the molex off and soldering together the wires.

Then I see no problem using the same psu to power the rest of your system.
    Neither do I ...IF you explain how to do it !!!!!
    To just say yes you can do it is no good to anybody if you don't expain how.
    I don't usually bother because the bottom line is you are better off using a dedicated supply ( not necessarily an expensive meanwell...)

As for using a stand alone PC PSU you need to first do the standard wire mod to get it to work without a PC then as most PC PSU use the 5v output to stabilise all the output lines it is a good idea to have a "load" on the 5v rail even if your not using it, this can be the form of a high wattage resister. Additionally if you have gone and cut off the main connector because you didn't need it you need to be careful to check (particularly if you use a more modern supply.) whether you have either a brown or a purple sense wire (sometimes both.) these often need to be grounded for the supply to work.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 06-13-2010 at 07:48 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12