Thread: Asus (Voltage Tweaking - reference) 5870 Vs Sapphire (Vapor-X) || Need advice

Asus (Voltage Tweaking - reference) 5870 Vs Sapphire (Vapor-X) || Need advice

Hye guys, I'm planning on buying HD5870 for my rig but now, I narrowed down my choices and I need you guys to advise me for which one is better.

My friend wants to sell Both Asus reference and Sapphire Vapor-X at a same price and it's cheaper than the market price and I was aiming at Vapor-X before I read reviews about Asus Voltage tweaking capability.

I'm not planning on buying asus non reference cooler HD5870 coz I think I can do much better by funding the extra money for good cooler like Prolimatech MK-13.

1) But sapphire Vapor-X also have a good cooler but how good is it? anybody knows? I tried reading reviews and got tired of it since no reviews actually gave a rock solid answer. So how good is the cooler?

2)Yes I can always flash asus bios and do the same with any reference card, but Vapor-x is not a reference card so can I still do the same?

3)I also heard that I can always flash back to the original bios if I want to RMA my card but is there any condition that I cannot flash my bios back.

Need help, thanks~

Xtreme Addict
    the cooler is extremely good, I'd say go for the vapor-x
    i7 920 @ 4GHz 1.25v
    GTX 470 @ 859MHz 1062mv

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Vapor-x cooler is very impressive. Even in two-card crossfire setup, the lower card never exceeds 75C. (pure air cooling)

However for single card if heat is not an issue then you probably want to OC more.

yupe, I'm looking to OC more and I don't think that I'll do CF anytime soon. Hurm.. Anybody tried flashing asus bios for Vapor-X?? I tried to find any successful attempt but can't seem to get any news about it~

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madriddistas View Post
    yupe, I'm looking to OC more and I don't think that I'll do CF anytime soon. Hurm.. Anybody tried flashing asus bios for Vapor-X?? I tried to find any successful attempt but can't seem to get any news about it~
    you can flash it with the asus bios and it will work but with no voltage control
    Processor: Intel 2500K 4.4ghz
    Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth P67
    Cooling: Prolimatech Megahalem 3x120mm fans 2x Icages, 2x92 mm fans, 140mm PSU fan
    Memory: Mushkin Redline (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1666 6 8 6 24 t1
    Video Card:Asus Matrix GTX 580 1.5GB
    Harddisk: Wester Digital Black Edition 32MB 7200 RPM 1TB SATA 3.0 ,CAVALIER SE 16MB 640GB SATA 3.0 DRIVE
    CD/DVD Drive: 1 BLACK LG LIGHT-SCRIBE DVD BURNERS
    CRT/LCD Model: BLACK ASUS 25 INCH MONITOR 50000 TO 1 RATIO 1920x 1080P
    Case: Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case solid side panel.
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live 24 Bit 7.1
    PSU: Thermaltake Xt 850 watt SLI 140mm silent fan
    Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64

Thanks. Really appreciate any advise from you guys.

Xtreme Addict
    As you are into OC, I'd go for the Asus reference card for sure
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Hurm.. here in malaysia Asus card worth RM1440 (USD 452) while the same card for MSI cost around RM1330 (USD 414) since it's a reference card and I might be selling it after 1 and a half year using it, the 3 years warranty didn't attract me to buy it. Any reference card are the same and I think it's better to choose MSI since MSI afterburner is very effective and many xtremesystem forumers benching with it.

Quote Originally Posted by madriddistas View Post
    Hurm.. here in malaysia Asus card worth RM1440 (USD 452) while the same card for MSI cost around RM1330 (USD 414) since it's a reference card and I might be selling it after 1 and a half year using it, the 3 years warranty didn't attract me to buy it. Any reference card are the same and I think it's better to choose MSI since MSI afterburner is very effective and many xtremesystem forumers benching with it.
    you can use afterburner for any reference 5870... that said, the msi is definitely a better value for you. both cards would allow you to oc above the standard ccc limit of 900 mhz core w/o flashing the bios.