Thread: External graphics card enclosure

External graphics card enclosure

Since ATI and their breakout VGA box seem to be a bit of a dud i've been browsing for some alternative to hold an external dual slot PCIE card. Id be happy if it could just hold something like a HD5770 or low power NVIDIA cards.

something likse the MAGMA expressbox4 looks kinda cool for such a project. Mind you this taps into a 8xpcie card or expresscard on your laptop but the link is just pcie 1X. You could use it for graphics too i suppose but im just looking at it to hold some cards for opencl.

I suppose it may not totally suck as a breakout fold box for your laptop . But i havent been able to find it listed online anywhere, so was wondering if any one has or if this is going to be enterpricey ? or if there are any cheap alternatives for hooking up external cards. (DIY projects suggestions are definitly an option ).

PS since the topic is kinda hot right now this is just about an external pcie box that can hold gpus or other pcie cards, so not about gpus/related tech.

Read up on this thread.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show....php?p=5324240

it will give you all the info you need to get some great ideas.

you will need to set up your own box though. the thread has several links to adapters that you can use.

you will need either a express card slot or use a mini pcie slot and install an adapter.

good luck

Ooh that is definitly cool will have to toy with that soon

UPDATE, it seems that it may be possible even to setup an external gfx with 2x 2.0 or 4x 2.0 pcie with the new intel/amd mobile chipsets, which is pretty awesome as the review from techpowerup pcie scaling interview shows only a marginal performance drop at 4x, and aproximately 25% when using a pcie 2.0 1x.
    Last edited by acicula; 03-21-2010 at 12:12 PM.