Thread: Wiring Problem! Help!

Xtreme Addict

Exclamation Wiring Problem! Help!

I have a fan controller that uses those standard 3 pin male plugs where you plug in the cordes... and I have a Delta I want to use that has a 4 pin male molex... and I have no idea how to connect it. I can't seem to find the right cords for this in any online store so far. I could really use some help!

I need either

1.) A female 3 pin to female 3 pin + male 3 pin to female 4 pin molex.

-OR-

2.) A female 3 pin to male 3 pin + a female 3 pin to female 4 pin molex.

-OR-

3.) A single 18 inch female 3 pin to female 4 pin molex, or longer if necessary.

I've seen the male 3 pin to female 4 pin molex and the female 3 pin to male 3 pin, but I've never seen the other three. Has anyone seen any of these cords I haven't found?

I don't understand why they didn't include adapter cords with the damn fan controller in the first place! Worse, they only gave me 4 cords! Sunbeam, you cheap bastards!
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    unless I misunderstood your needs... I believe this should work:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/124pinto3pin.html

hope it helps

E8600 - Maximus Formula II - HIS 4870x2 - Mushkin DDR2 1066 2x2GB - Silverstone DA 850W - Silverstone TJ09 - TRUE Black

Xtreme Addict
    "Question: What's the easiest way to connect a 4pin case fan located at the back of a computer case to a fan speed controller located in the front? Answer: Fan speed controllers use 3pin outputs therefore in order to connect a 4pin fan, you first have to change the 4pin female connector on the fan to a 3pin female connector. Also, you will most likely have to extend the wire itself since standard length fan wire will not be able to reach all the way to the front of a case. The easiest way to accomplish this would be to just use a 4pin to 3pin adapter! This adapter converts 4pin devices to 3pin, and at 12" this adapter also acts as an extension as well!"
    Wait... that doesn't make any sense. Most fans that are 4 pin I see are male... which makes sense because the 4 pin molex's on power supplies are all female.

So no... that will not help me. LOL Who the hell thought of that?! And holy crap... nearly $9 to ship a tiny cord? Why not just mail small items to customers!?

Can someone PLEASE help me?
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 02-03-2009 at 01:35 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmm you are right, the quote doesn't make sense to me either now that you pointed it out.

perhaps a typo:
    "Question: What's the easiest way to connect a 4pin case fan located at the back of a computer case to a fan speed controller located in the front? Answer: Fan speed controllers use 3pin outputs therefore in order to connect a 4pin fan, you first have to change the 4pin (fe)male connector on the fan to a 3pin female connector. Also, you will most likely have to extend the wire itself since standard length fan wire will not be able to reach all the way to the front of a case. The easiest way to accomplish this would be to just use a 4pin to 3pin adapter! This adapter converts 4pin devices to 3pin, and at 12" this adapter also acts as an extension as well!"
    has to be a typo, since the adapter IS female to female...

Connectors: 4pin female connector to 3pin female connector
    so: 4pin male delta > 4pin female extension > 3pin female into fan controller... should work? sorry I am just trying to understand it, that's all.

edit: regardless of my lame attempts to help... just to answer the shipping issue: http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/...03&postcount=4
    lots more to be found in the same thread and other threads, so if that extension turns out being usefull, give them a call, I am pretty sure they will sort out the shipping for you. Petra and Quoc are the very best customer service experience I ever dealt with.
    Last edited by hoax; 02-03-2009 at 02:23 PM.

E8600 - Maximus Formula II - HIS 4870x2 - Mushkin DDR2 1066 2x2GB - Silverstone DA 850W - Silverstone TJ09 - TRUE Black

Xtreme Addict
    Awsome... but I'm not paying 9 dollars for 1 wire. ROFL Thanks for the idea... but unless Petra is going to mail it to me, no deal. Using UPS for 1 tiny wire is just a waste of time and money.

Xtreme Member
    Get yourself a wire stripper, and some electrical tape.

Background
    Black (PSU/Fan) = ground
    Yellow (PSU) = 12v
    Red (PSU) = 5v
    Red (Fan) = Power (Usually 12v)
    White (Fan) = RPM Sensor, worthless.

Method
    Connect Red (Fan) to Yellow (PSU) and Black (Fan) to Black (PSU). and you get full speed!
    Connect Red (Fan) to Red (PSU) and Black (Fan) to Black (PSU). and you get 5v speed (Slow)
    Connect Red (Fan) to Yellow (PSU) and Black (Fan) to Red (PSU). and you get full 7v (Medium-Slow)

If you already have the tools its free... I recommend finding some odd 4 pin Molex Male to Female connector and use that.
    Last edited by DarkCow; 02-03-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    EVGA 780i - 07 [ FSB:1.4v SPP:1.50v MCP:1.6v SPP<>MCP:1.3v ]
    Q6600 G0 L747A [ 400x9:3.6ghz @ 1.38v ]
    xFx GTX260 216 Black Edition [ GPU:740Mhz Shader:1515 Ram:1215Mhz ]
    6 GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-800 4-4-4-15 [ 990Mhz ]

Tokara IV - Watercooled Wood case work log

You can buy any supplies you need to make custom cables at http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php.

Xtreme Addict
    LOL!!!! I found the right cable. Somehow it got lost in the packing materials from newegg. Sorry about that guys!!!