Thread: Guide: Yonah + Aopen i975Xa-YDG

Threaded View

silver wall jumper X

Guide: Yonah + Aopen i975Xa-YDG

Work in progress -will add more later

Yonah on the Aopen i975Xa-YDG

After a painfully slow start Yonah / MODT has finally made it - and actually starting to be fun. This below hopefully should make the transition a bit easier

Helpful things to to get started on the AOpen i975Xa-YDG :

VMods:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=95411
    Vcore + VDIMM mods are a must for serious overclocking, VCCA mod still needs to be investigated more... Tcore mod might not be necessary with latest bios 1.03C

Files:

Temp monitoring:

For internal CPU temp diodes:

For Motherboard CPU temp diode:
    MBM5 ( use eg. MSI 865 PE Neo2-P motherboard sensors - great find by KIWI ! )
    http://users.pandora.be/lsdsmurf/dar...bm/MBM5370.EXE

For Motherboard CPU temp diode:

Speed Step / change multis:

Yonah Datasheet:

The Manual:

BIOS files:

Careful - difficult / not possible to revert back to earlier BIOS using WINFLASH proggy - you might have to go DOS flash. Consensus seems to be that R1.03C is the best bios so far ( not sure about R1.04 yet )

V1.03 - latest offical bios
    http://download.aopen.com.tw/Downloa...ction=1&DL=yes

V1.03B - Merom support / Speedstep ON
    http://oc-x.de/DOWN/ica13b1.zip

V1.03C - allows to enter bios with subzero temps / Speedstep OFF / NO MEROM SUPPORT!
    http://oc-x.de/DOWN/ica13c.rar

V1.04 - no Merom support ( thanks easypanic! )

http://www.ocfantasy.com/ftp/Wica14.zip
    Clockgens:

AOpen Coo
    http://www.aopen.com

Clockgen from Franck Delattre
    http://www.cpuid.com
    Getting past FSB wall:

The are several things that influence where your FSB wall is:
    Heat
    Vcore (+VCCA)
    Core

While on air the FSB wall can be caused by 2 things - either a really bad CPU or Heat + Vcore limitations. A good CPU should do around 250 FSB on air ( regardless of multi!), and should go further once Vcore is raised and /or better cooling methods are used. Weird thing is that the FSB can be the same with lower multis - yet once you get colder and raise the Vcore you can get a much higher FSB - until you hit the actual FSB wall of your silicone/CPU. Once that wall is reached even more cooling will not help.

One thing that helped me also greatly to get further on FSB limitation is rasing the FSB slowly. I only use the remote control / Aopen Coo program to raise the FSB. The single mhz steps appears to help not to crash.

Also I noticed that having a certain load helps prevent premature lockups. Once you hit a particular FSB wall - running at that particular max for several minutes can help to get again an extra mhz. It can be a slow process - but this can give you extra 1-6 mhz

The motherboards themselves have no input / very little input on the FSB wall. The same CPUs performed within 1FSB for me on different Aopen i975Xa-YDG boards.

NEW info - Steven has found that during VCORE swings ( droop ) whenever the vocre is on the low end - FSB will lock up much earlier and it is helpful to make sure to rasie FSB whenever the Vcore is at the high end!

With some Yonahs I have found that actually running lower Vcore ( in my case around 1.57V) was helping to get the FSB higher as opposed to running the max 1.62V

Known bugs:

- Can't enter Bios with subzero temps
    - Using Molex plug prevents board from booting
    - Memset can crash when changing CAS latency
    - Clockgen randomly bugs out
    - Vcore with current vmod has a max of ~ 1.64V
    - Coldbug when CPU is colder than ~ -50C coretemps ( not Evap temps ) This bug prevents you from loading into Windows. For this we might still need the Tcore mod - needs to be checked. This "bug" should only be protection feature of a Windows driver
    - Switching between different CPUs on the board without clearing BIOS can cause core temperatures to raise significantly ( +15C air )
    - PCI Video cards ( Matrox Millenium maybe others ) and AOpen Coo do NOT get along - prolly becuase of video overlay - causes one core to be fully loaded
    - I can not set the bios with my max stable FSB - has to be lower by almost 20MHZ FSB
    - ECC memory is always enabled by default in BIOS (might have no impact)

* can't update to older bios from 1.03B ( KIWI )
    * board has NO Sata raid, only ata ( KIWI )
    * Crossfire only works flawless using ATI driver version 6.4 ( according to Tyrou )
    * Crossfire works with ATI driver 6.3 when Write Combining is disabled ( CENTRAL )

Protecting the core:

I hate to admit - but I already managed to kill 2 Yonahs by not following what I constantly preach to my buddies - PROTECT THE CORE!!! One broke ( thank god a free sample ) by simply dropping it on the floor - the other ( of course my golden step 8 CPU I paid mightily for...) by installing a EVAP on one side too tight crushing part of the core.

There are several ways to do so - the easiest using several layers of electrical tape to form a shim (prolly around 4-5 layers depending on the height of tape )
    Another easy way is to use the IHS of a socket 478 Intel P3 / P4

The Yonahs appear to be even more fragile to me than Dothan - but that could only be my personal experience..

Voltages:

VCore: Would like to get input here from more users before I tell everyone to run 1.62V 24/7 lol

VCCA: Stock: 1.5V Kyosen runs it as high as 2.5V need to investigate VCCA voltages myself

VDIMM: Fatty D9: 2.3V
    On my D9s I run 2.3V max - since we are stuck will a high FSB/MEM ratio for good good ol' fatty D9s there is no need to go wild on the VDIMM - my set could take the clocks easily with what the BIOS allowed it to run... - would love to get some input from user of different types of ram

PCI-E: I keep AUTO
    I have seen no improvement by raising this voltage for FSB / Clocks. Differnt GPUs might benefit from raising this voltage.

NB voltage: I keep AUTO
    I have seen no improvement by raising this voltage for FSB / Clocks.

OS TWEAKS for benchmarking:

I will have to reserve this space for Tweakmeister Gautam's input - or any other Tweakmeisters. But from my experience there might be very few...but a useMPtimer string and hotfix might be helpful for certain things

Other information and thoughts:

-Do not challenge Tyrou into a benchmarking competition

-T2700 should come out soon, which should bring the Yonah benchmarking and overclocking to a whole new level

-Intel CAN touch this!

-Upcoming Merom CPUs are working flawless with Bios R1.03B on this board

- make sure to set the right CAS latency in BIOS

-BIOS R1.03 should be best for superpi because it has SPeeedstep turned off ( not sure about R1.03C ???)

- we desperately need a BIOS that has all BIOS options unlocked!!!

- the AOpen board only has 2 power phases - there is some minor droop - but nothing too bad!

- WHen setting BIOS clocks above ~ 258FSB the bios will show you incorrect CPU clocks during bootup - the actual clocks will be as set in bios

Running under cold

- Bios R1.03 , R1.03B will not allow you to enter Bios once you reach below 0*C CPU temps ( read from the motherboard probe ). No biggie if you set everything proper in positive temps. Everything else will run perfectly fine

- Bios R1.03C is supposed to allow you to enter the BIOS with neg. Temps

- If CPU core temps ( read by CPU internal probes ) are below ~ -40*C - Windows will crash at loadup - I suspect this is a driver that is supposed to protect the core. I am not sure if Bios R1.03C will help here - but I doubt it. I have seen this -40C with several different Intel type CPUs - in case of the Yonah at least we can boot...

- I was able to run ~ -160*C core temps - but I had to SLOWLY lower temps. Actually the system booted even @ -180*C but appeared to get VERY buggy and unstable - @ -190C it crashed

- Core Temp program will only read up to ~ +5*C - this is becuase of how Intel calculates core temps and not because of proggy.

- HWiNFO32 can read negatives CPU temps from the motherboard Winbond W83783S probe - but once the negative temps are hit the reading will go downards from 255C ( like with AMD ...255*C = -0.X *C)
    This probe becomes very inaccurate ~ - 30C and stops / gets stuck soon thereafter

- a trick I used with my single stage to get into bios was to turn off system while the single stage keeps running for a couple of minutes to let the board ( Winbond CPU temp sensor) to cool below - 45*C - and with the cold temps you can go into bios.

JUMPER settings:

Can't find the manual ATM - input would be helpful

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1709

Running Merom:

-Make sure to run BIOS R1.03B

-Merom needs less Vcore than Yonah ( ~ 1.3V-1.4V)

-Merom does run hotter

-Coretemp proggy will not show correct temps ( need to subtract 100C minus the shown temp )
    Last edited by mike; 06-07-2006 at 09:36 AM.