Thread: AOpen at ICC

AOpen at ICC

Just a little note, I'm heading to Intel Channel Conference tomorrow, and after the seminar, AOpen will be doing a 2 hour presentation on the "mobile on desktop" thing. I am going to try and shoot them some questions about the problems with the 975 board - mainly the FSB wall, and the lack of merom support, and what they're going to do about it. It seems they have told everyone that they have a "lack of ES chips for merom", which I think is BS, so I'm going to try and beat some information out of them. >:O For those who can't make it to any ICC, anywhere, just make a post here if you want me to ask them a question, and I will.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Latiass
    Just a little note, I'm heading to Intel Channel Conference tomorrow, and after the seminar, AOpen will be doing a 2 hour presentation on the "mobile on desktop" thing. I am going to try and shoot them some questions about the problems with the 975 board - mainly the FSB wall, and the lack of merom support, and what they're going to do about it. It seems they have told everyone that they have a "lack of ES chips for merom", which I think is BS, so I'm going to try and beat some information out of them. >:O For those who can't make it to any ICC, anywhere, just make a post here if you want me to ask them a question, and I will.
    Hi Latiass

this is great - tell them that @ Cebit one of their officials told me word by word that Merom support is no problem , just at the same time as in the Intel booth beside the Merom and Yonah comparisons were made , and that they got mail six weeks ago where they were asked for Merom support.
    Tell them that Asus delivers a much cheaper board with Merom support out of the box.

Put Oil into the fire .. they sell the most expensive board for hobbyists and they have to show something for the money or they will loose trendsetting customers @ the bleeding edge of technology :-) (like ES members).

best wishes

:
    Last edited by mine; 04-21-2006 at 12:56 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    theres more chances of shootin blanks than getting this answered but anyway...

please, please Latiass ask them if they would fix the compability/support issue with Areca pci-e 8x sataII raid controllers, no worky on the yonah 975x mobo. please?!?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ive tested about 15 CPU's in total. All clock different... i havent hit a "wall" that seems mobo related, seems very CPU related.
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.6GHz w/ 1.29vcore (517*7)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:
    Zippy 700W (fan modded of course)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mine
    just at the same time as in the Intel booth beside the Merom and Yonah comparisons were made
    Where on the Intel stand did you see Merom, there was certainly none out on the showcase floor

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn
    Where on the Intel stand did you see Merom, there was certainly none out on the showcase floor

merom vs. yonah Cebit 2006
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CeBit2006_Intel_015_resize.JPG.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	46110  
    Last edited by mine; 04-20-2006 at 08:44 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mine
    merom vs. yonah Cebit 2006
    Thats not the Intel stand or the keynote session though. Doesn't look like the NDA suites either, were abouts did you see it?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorburn
    Thats not the Intel stand or the keynote session though. Doesn't look like the NDA suites either, were abouts did you see it?
    no there was a hole in a curtain and i looked inside , I saw two Dell laptops , one with a jonah one with a merom and a man with very few hair ,
    I immediately fired my digicam like a british "SUN" paparazzi and fled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CeBit2006_Intel_013_resize.JPG.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	46112  
    Last edited by mine; 04-20-2006 at 09:14 AM.

Alright, I am back from ICC, and the information I learned was either stuff we all already knew or something that only channel parters would (read: can) care about. I did, however, get to talk to AOpen.. they were VERY dodgy about merom questions. :( As soon as I asked, they pretty much avoided me the rest of the day. Something must not be right in that respect, as if it weren't already obvious. However, according to them, there's a few jumpers on the board you can change to break the "FSB wall", though the rep there didn't know which ones. I later looked it up, and can confirm that it is true, but still don't know which jumpers due to my lack of owning one of the boards. (http://www.gamepc.com/labs/print_content.asp?id=coreduo "This lab report was updated on 4/20/2006. With the removal of two jumpers, this AOpen motherboard does allow FSB speeds up to 1066 MHz FSB. Using this technique, we were able to overclock a Core Duo T2600 (2.16 GHz) to 2.9 GHz.") Also, the Intel guys were suggesting that the Yonah ES isn't as good as an overclocker as the retail.. anyone can confirm that by trying both with these mystery jumpers removed? I don't know if any of this has been confirmed/discovered yet, but if it hasn't, it has now.

Secondly, sadly, there was very little discussion about Conroe at the ICC.. however, a couple of the Intel guys knew quite a bit about Conroe. They couldn't release benchmarks, but it was the first time I've talked to them where they actually directly refered to "the competition" as "AMD", and they're pretty psyched about this whole thing.. I, personally, can hardly wait until the Conroe EE (which, apperantly just like the 900 series, will be coming out first; release date is "about July", when we'll have them in our hands, but that's just speculation). Also according to them, overclocking is just obscene with Conroe on air, so I can hardly wait to put some of it under LN2/DI!

All in all a good seminar, but I already knew most of the things they touched on. :( I also won a celeron D; the pity prize! Sorry I don't have more info, but eh.. I just couldn't make them crack!

Xtreme Member
    Interesting, magical jumper settings. Only an enthusiast would buy this board/combo anyway, so why try to confuse the market they sell to ?