Thread: How big of a core do I need

Xtreme Cruncher

How big of a core do I need

So I have a 2.53 P4 Willamette core that is not powerful enough to run on its own, but with a good 1k series gpu, it could be very benificial to the team. I know that the f@h gpu program needs a dedicated core, and this seams like it would be perfect. What do you guys think. I'm totally willing to spend $200 for a great crunching machine. Thanks for the incite......

No reason why that wouldn't work for an X1900 or X1950 series card. But I'm not quite getting this "not powerful enough on its own" part, I'm running P3's here bud, that sounds plenty powerful to me

But yeh a X19xx card would definitely put out more than that CPU could by itself.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've read at a few places that very little cpu power is needed, and that even a P3 would be able to feed an x1900 with enough bandwidth for folding, maybe at EOC or FAH Forums Obviously getting a board with an AGP 8x or PCi-E interface limits how far back in history you can go But I'd guess a P4 would be fine, I'm thinking about doing something similar here with an old P4 1.6 or Sempron, so let us know how you get on.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yesh... me too... with some feasty AXP(s) LOL