Asus P5WD2-E Premium mods

I finally found some time to take the photos and upload them

Off we go.

I´ll post the Vcore mod soon.

I am Xtreme
    very nice!

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up

Nice pics Stilt. I've been running these mods for a few weeks now. People should be aware that the Vcore mod works better without setting the pot too low trying to get minimum droop (< 10 millivolts). On the scope, there was a lot of switching noise present that isn't caught by traditional monitor programs when cranking way down on the pot. (minimizing resistance). Although the droop was great, the switching noise not picked up by monitors made my system MORE unstable than setting it for 20-30 millivolt droop. Wouldn't recommend setting the pot lower than 30K ohms either. This mod alters the Analog Devices already present droop circuit that seems to be tuned for 65AMPS and I'm playing around with an R/C network into the feedback pin that allows Vcore ro RISE on load. Sorta like afterburners....

Hey man, That was my first post on this forum..

Should I know anything else, before modding my Asus , or is there another better instruction?

Alba

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatroner
    Should I know anything else, before modding my Asus , or is there another better instruction?

Alba
    Not to answer for the stilt, but these illustrations look very good. Just be real careful you don't turn the pots down to zero resistance. I'd also set the pot for maximum resistance when firing up the board for the first time and tweek them down slowly until you're happy.

Sorry Stilt for answering for you...All credit goes to you for these great illustrations

Xtreme Member

Question

Thanks for sharing this info!!!

I modded my P5WD2 Premium (955) according to the older pictures.
    In those picures, the connection for vDroop is slightly different.
    Why is that? Should I change it?

Another problem is the fact that when a peak of more than 1.7V on the mosfets (so not the actual vcore) occurs, my PSU shuts down.
    Is there a way to override this "protection"???

Or could it be the Tagan EasyCon 530 (combined load on 12V lines)??? Recently switched from OCZ Powerstream 520 to this one...
    Last edited by OneyedK; 03-06-2006 at 02:19 AM.
    Lian-Li PC-71 : Tagan EasyCon 580 : E6600 : Coolermaster GeminII : P5K Vanilla (bios 0414) : OCZ2TA1000VX21G : Sapphire X1900XTX

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by OneyedK
    Thanks for sharing this info!!!

I modded my P5WD2 Premium (955) according to the older pictures.
    In those picures, the connection for vDroop is slightly different.
    Why is that? Should I change it?

Another problem is the fact that when a peak of more than 1.7V on the mosfets (so not the actual vcore) occurs, my PSU shuts down.
    Is there a way to override this "protection"???

Or could it be the Tagan EasyCon 530 (combined load on 12V lines)??? Recently switched from OCZ Powerstream 520 to this one...
    Man, P5WD2-E is NOT the same than P5WD2, so you've done the right mods.

About the peak problem, i dont know...
    Asus P5K Premium//Intel E6600@3,6ghz//Corsair PC6400C3@500 4-4-4-12 2,2v//8800GTS G92//Audigy 2 ZS//SeaSonic M12 700W & LianLi V2000B

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ^don.k's^
    About the peak problem, i dont know...
    Hope it's a PSU-issue, the Tagan has a switch to choose between split and combined load on the +12V-lines... Alas, not very well documented :-(
    Lian-Li PC-71 : Tagan EasyCon 580 : E6600 : Coolermaster GeminII : P5K Vanilla (bios 0414) : OCZ2TA1000VX21G : Sapphire X1900XTX

Xtreme Member
    where i can find Vmods for the P5WD2?
    Under Zero

Xtreme Member
    Full credits to the Stilt:
    http://www.elektroni.fi/Stilt/P5WD2-Mods/

Xtreme Member
    thx a lot Oneyedk
    Under Zero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Anyone knows if the mushkin ddr2 5300 would like this vdd mod? I'm asking that cuzz the max voltage related in mushkin website is available on this mobo stock, with no mod...

"God...i know she's dead :'( but keep her soul alive because in my heart she will never die :'(" VoRtAn_MaDgE
    Nc te eskecerei avó! :'(

@Stilt

which resistance of rezistor will be best for droop mod? what is the perfectly resistance for your mobo? I want to use the 30k resistor and I think that the best effects we will take ~20k
    24/7 settings:
    - Intel Core i5 750@3.8 GHz
    - WaterCooling rev 6.0
    - Asus P7P55D-E
    - 4GB DualDDR2 HyperX @2GHz
    - XFX GeForce 8800GS XXX
    - 2 x Seagate ST3250410AS @RAID0
    - WD Caviar 1001FALS 1TB
    - Samsung SH-S203N
    - SilverStone TJ07B
    - Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850W
    - Dell U2410

Xtreme Addict
    that vdroop is different. I saw one for the chip itself and a 50k pot.

Anyway, do you use a multimeter to determine the ohm of the resister BEFORE you solder it in place? What should the reading be before I start the computer?

One last think...was it worth it?...Did you find a difference doing the vdroop mod?

Quote Originally Posted by The Stilt
    I finally found some time to take the photos and upload them

Off we go.

I´ll post the Vcore mod soon.
    please post the Vcore mod ......

Xtreme Mentor
    Those are very nicely done man.

BTW, what camera did you take those shots with? I am terrible at macro stuff.

I like my women the way I like my processors...naked.
    I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

Xtreme Member
    This mod is for those timid or over caffienated people that don't want to take a soldering gun to your mobo. This is no joke and works quite well. The goal is to lower the resistance of the Analog Devices droop circuitry from about 75k to 40k ohms. The PIC below has a "proper" vdroop mod, so please ignore the wires and pot which isn't required. Should be able to do this mod without removing the mobo.

Sharpen a #2 or any other soft lead pencil really sharp. Jam the tip of the pencil between Pins 17 and 18 of the Buck Boost converter/regulator. Rotate the pencil while applying slight downward pressure, then snap off tip of lead so it remains jammed between the pins. Low risk, should keep droop under 20 millivolts:
    955 @ 5362 MHz on DD RBX @ 1.58v
    P5WD2-E Vcore mod, Vdim mod.
    8000ul @ 4,3,3,8 1170MHz @ 2.7v
    ATI 1900xtx, modded DDx18 / Modded EXOS II w/ Alphacool 1510
    Zippy 6850P

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by proth
    This mod is for those timid or over caffienated people that don't want to take a soldering gun to your mobo. This is no joke and works quite well. The goal is to lower the resistance of the Analog Devices droop circuitry from about 75k to 40k ohms. The PIC below has a "proper" vdroop mod, so please ignore the wires and pot which isn't required. Should be able to do this mod without removing the mobo.

Sharpen a #2 or any other soft lead pencil really sharp. Jam the tip of the pencil between Pins 17 and 18 of the Buck Boost converter/regulator. Rotate the pencil while applying slight downward pressure, then snap off tip of lead so it remains jammed between the pins. Low risk, should keep droop under 20 millivolts:
    As crazy as that sounds...it would probably work

Xtreme Member
    LOL.. It has to work...I'm modding a board for a buddy on Wednesday but will try this and post results and Pics with the lead jammed in there, should be a pisser of a photo. Then I'll do the real mod. The only question is if the pencil lead can go down to 30-50k ohms to actually be effective.
    Zippy 6850P

Xtreme Member
    LOL.. It has to work...I'm modding a board for a buddy on Wednesday but will try this and post results and Pics with the lead jammed in there, should be a pisser of a photo. Then I'll do the real mod. The only question is if the pencil lead can go down to 30-50k ohms to actually be effective.
    Hmm this is interesting, could something else be used? Say a small clip of some sort or maybe a couple strands of wire? ANy specific reason why you say use #2 pencil lead? I have no idea how everything works when it comes to electronics, but Im gonna guess it has something to do with the materials resistance?

Id also like to see some final resaults, Id try just about anything at this point to get rid of my droop. screeny bellow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Voltage droop..JPG 
Views:	919 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	45431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vcore .100 droop..JPG 
Views:	870 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	45435  
    Last edited by adeoliver; 04-01-2006 at 07:02 PM.
    Pentium D 920 @ Max 5.0ghz
    P5WD2 E Premium
    Mushkin EM 991403
    Dual HC TDX custom water.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by adeoliver
    Hmm this is interesting, could something else be used? Say a small clip of some sort or maybe a couple strands of wire? ANy specific reason why you say use #2 pencil lead? I have no idea how everything works when it comes to electronics, but Im gonna guess it has something to do with the materials resistance?

Id also like to see some final resaults, Id try just about anything at this point to get rid of my droop. screeny bellow.
    Dont want to use just bare wire - short circuit.

Yes, he used pencil lead due to it's resistance properties.

I like my women the way I like my processors...naked.
    I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adeoliver

Man, Your droop is about as bad as the P5WD2-E gets. Don't try to use anything but a pencil led or you'll waste the mobo and maybe the CPU. The lead lowers the resistance between the pins, not shorts them together. Even though this looks simple, it has to be done very carefully or you will definately damage something. The best way is to mod the board as the Stilt describes at the top of this post. You may want to put heatsinks on the MOSFETS which helps a little. There are a few posts on this already in other threads. You can search for them with the search tool
    Zippy 6850P

Xtreme Member
    Man, Your droop is about as bad as the P5WD2-E gets. Don't try to use anything but a pencil led or you'll waste the mobo and maybe the CPU. The lead lowers the resistance between the pins, not shorts them together. Even though this looks simple, it has to be done very carefully or you will definately damage something. The best way is to mod the board as the Stilt describes at the top of this post. You may want to put heatsinks on the MOSFETS which helps a little. There are a few posts on this already in other threads. You can search for them with the search tool
    Thanks. I plan on doing the VR mod on it. Ive done some test runs on an old epox board, so now Ill have no problem doing it to my E. Thanks for all the info.
    Pentium D 920 @ Max 5.0ghz
    P5WD2 E Premium
    Mushkin EM 991403
    Dual HC TDX custom water.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quick question.

As you may remember on the p4c800 the droop is made with a 50kohms resistence regulated to 28khoms.

In the p5wd2-e is there a "known" value that we can regulate the 60kohm resistance before soldering ?

Or we need to lowering till we find the perfect spot ?

Thks guys!

"God...i know she's dead :'( but keep her soul alive because in my heart she will never die :'(" VoRtAn_MaDgE
    Nc te eskecerei avó! :'(

Xtreme Legend
    The droop is different depending on what CPU your're running. A single core draws less current, and will droop less than a dual core.

I took a 100k resistor set to max and booted the board into Windows and then compared idle and load voltages with a DMM and adjusted the droop on the fly.
    Some notes:
    - I have had troubles when setting it to zero droop, so I usually leave it at 10-20mv.
    - Load it to 100%, SuperPi is not enough.
    - It you start with 1.400 idle and 1.320 load you might end up with 1.480 idle and 1.470 load because the droop mod increases the voltage aswell. Take care with Presler when doing this.
    - Also make sure you measure the vcore at the CPU side of one coil to get a real value. (There is a voltage drop across the coils which should be taken into account)

"In mild doses, ethylene produces states of euphoria, associated with stimulus
    to the pleasure centres of the human brain."

Intel benching: 3DMark Vantage: E69642, P37253, H30363, X22138
    Swedish Overclocking Champion 2006 - Celeron Mobile 1400 @ 4243MHz - 203%

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast