Thread: Compatability Questions Before Purchase

Xtreme CCIE

Compatability Questions Before Purchase

Okay, it looks like I'll be buying some new parts tomorrow morning, and just thought I'd go for one last, good, system-wide check. The proposed system is:

CPU: AMD Opteron 170
    Mobo: Still trying to decide between:
    - DFI UT NF4 SLI-DR
    - DFI UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert (not sure it's worth it, I've seen a LOT of mixed results)
    - DFI UT NF4 Ultra-D (because I'm not using SLI anyway... any reason not to go with this one?)
    RAM: Mushkin Redline PC4000
    HDD: Seagate 80GB SATA hard drive (already own)
    Optical Drive: LG DVD writer (already own)
    Video Card: EVGA E-Geforce 6600LE 256MB PCI-E (I don't really game, performance isn't an issue)
    PSU: 520w OCZ Modstream (already own)

Anyone see anything in particular that should be changed? Any extra cables or anything I should get? The DFI Expert board seems to have an extra 4-pin plug above the 24 pin connection.. will an adapter for that be included on the board?

Thanks for the help

Serra

Xtreme Member
    that looks fine, go with the SLI-DR, not the expert what with all the problems and all...might i sugest a 120 - 200 gig hard drive? as it would alow for future compatability...the Ultra D is an okish board, but i have seen better...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra

Anyone see anything in particular that should be changed? Any extra cables or anything I should get? The DFI Expert board seems to have an extra 4-pin plug above the 24 pin connection.. will an adapter for that be included on the board?

Thanks for the help

Serra
    Not seen the board layout but the extra 4 pin plug your talking about sounds like an ATX 12v plug. Most modern PSU's have them on a separate rail afaik. My board requires one but dosn't supply a connector. I'm sure someone with an 'expert' will drop by and let you know. As for which board to go for I would probably go for an SLI board as you have the option in the future to upgrade your graphics performance without throwing your old card away(if its sli in the first place that is).