Thread: Magic? Make me understand how this happened lol

Magic? Make me understand how this happened lol

Today I got my memory that I ordered for a HTPC I am making out of my old computer which ran great, but after today it is downright unbelievable! ok let me explain, so I got the memory today 1gig of my favorite memory thats in my new rig OCZ Platinum Rev.2

I go to install it into my old computer turned HTPC which is a MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat. mobo, Winchester 3200, nvidia 6600gt, Raptor 74gig, 2x 3200a NEC DVD+R burner drives, Soundblaster Xfi soundcard, 500watt X-Connect PSU, and the new OCZ memory. Also got a new plasma on the way.

Anyway I install the memory then turned on the comp, it goes from boot screen to verifying then tries to load and stops with an error that my hard drive failure and need to run repair with the windows cd. After several attempts and normal checks and fixes to get it to boot still no go. I changed out the sata cable and checked all wireing, made sure the memory was seated and all the normal checks you do to troubleshoot. Well after about 1hr of F_in around I decided to go into the bios, not that I thought anything was wrong, I mean why should the bios be messed up? It ran 100% before I took out the older OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 memory and put it into my new comp over a week ago like 12days now or so. So I ran through the bios and decided to just reset the bios with the jumper and got everything back to stock settings. Then tried to boot up and it booted up! Well I ran a disk check and cleared some errors and then went back to bios to put in my old OC I had............

I proceed to put in my old OC when i figured hey its been like 8months since I last played around with this computer and OC'ing so I figured id play with it and see if I could get it to boot at what my new computer does. Before my max OC on this was 8x320 with a vcore @ 1.65v or 10x260 @ 1.65v either way anything close to 2.6ghz was a 1.65v and thats just how it was with this older comp. I remember because I still have a old OC checklist and what worked and did not work laying around near the monitor lol, system would just crash if I went lower then 1.6v with a 2.6ghz oc on that winny, was stable to do some benchies for like 15min or so @ the 1.6v so I found 1.65v to be 100% Primestable blah blah blah benchies stable.

Well you ask where am I going with this long ass thread lol, im geting there. Ok so im playing around the bios trying new OC's, I decide to just try to boot up the comp with a 8x320 OC same as before but leaving it at 1.5v because my Venice is 100% stable at 1.5v @2700ghz and I just was fooling around not expecting it to be stable or just get to login screen then crash. Well the damn thing boots to 8x320 with 1.5v and I was sorta confused so I ran full test of benchies all pass, no crashes nothing. Then I rebooted to go try 10x265 with only 1.5v and WTF it boots up and I can run benchies again!

Is it me or is something wrong here? Yeah something wrong my post is to long lol ohh well but seriously, how can my system all of a sudden with the same memory but newer, boot my system up and be 100% stable now after several hours of torture testing with lower VCORE then what it use to have that would made it unstable and crash.

Don't get me wrong, the winny was a great chip but it also needed tons of vcore to OC high enough and mine downright almost needed 1.7v just to get 2.6ghz stable. Now im freaking 10x265 @ 1.5v stable and im afraid to do anything more to this setup thinking it might be one of those magic systems that you hear about sometimes out of the blue. I had it at 10x270 and 10x273 with the 1.5v stable and played around some but did not risk benchies at it in fear it might make it go back to being a crappy hog for vcore CPU, im wierd lol. Anyway I backed it back to the 10x265 1.5v and im sooo confused how it is stable now and it didn't use to be with what its at now.

Hope that my long post didn't offend any of you guys eyes. Please let me know, im kinda taking this one as a 1 in million wierd instance in the computing world. I been doing this stuff for more then 5yrs now OC'ing and building comps, I have to say its at the top of my list for the wierdest shiat ever. I wasn't thinking about it till I decided to post here so im going to do the benchies over and post them besides the 2 I have. Man whats wrong with the validation of CPUZ, validated but still no email for it, anyway here is just 2 shots I took earlier and wasn't thinking id post here, these were just for me to share with some friends.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPUZ.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	46041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A64 tweaker.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	46042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chipset Bandwidth.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	46043  
    Last edited by MMORPGOD; 04-18-2006 at 08:41 PM.