Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide To Current WaterCooling Components

XS_THE_MACHINE
    lol viktor, that reminds me, i forgot to get some Ciramique and i dont want to know the shipping price on it as i already bought everthing else... anyone want to sell me a half empty Ciramique tube? lol

Note: i am not kidding PM me $3 shipped sounds cool for a half used one lol
    Asus P5B-Deluxe 0614
    Conroe E6400 @ 2.56ghz
    Team Xtreem DDR2 2x1GB @ 900
    ATI X1900XTX // MC14 Ramsinks -DEAD- Using spare 7900gt now
    Hitachi 80gb | Hitachi 80gb | Seagate 320gb
    Mountainmods U2-UFO Original Black \\ BenQ DVD-RAM
    Corsair Hx620
    Swiftech Storm r2 \\ Swiftech MCW60 \\ Swiftech MCW30 \\ Thermochill PA120.3 \\ Swiftech MCRES Micro \\ DDC+ Plexi Top

Heatware | Guide To Current WaterCooling Components | Guide To WaterCooling and Leak Testing

Xtreme Member
    Seriously, I'm really sad. Sucks to live in Sweden if you enjoy computers.

http://www.artcooling.de/index.php?l...F0F682AF0B52E3
    Could this waterblock perform on par/ better than the M1 or the maze4 gpu?
    I think it would be worth it to check this guy out, has some innovative designs

Based on my professional guestimation, that waterblock will perform about on par with a Maze4 GPU.

Egyptian OverClocker
    gonna be waiting for ur results in comparing the apogee to storm MaxxxRacer before ordering my w/cing kit
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Member
    perhaps i missed it, but i don't see any reference to the MCW60 gpu block. anyone know if this takes the lead?
    retired AMD64 Opteron 170 Toledo CCBBE 0615EPMW 3.1GHz 1.52V with removed IHS
    Intel Q9650 L827A 4.2GHz (467*9) 1.288v
    G.Skill 8GB F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe BIOS V1406
    eVGA GeForce 8800GTS SSC 512MB
    3x Western Digital 640GB Black RAID 0+5
    Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Swiftech H2O-220 Compact 35C/58C
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA 1000W
    Dell 2405FPW 24" WUXGA
    Antec Twelve Hundred
    Heatware iTrader eBay

Xtreme Guru
    We're waiting on Maxxx's tests. Expect the block lists to be updated when he's done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    flowrate is for losers!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    Thermaltake is kind of like AIDS; it won't go away just by ignoring it.

Xtreme Member
    You can get the Silverprop Cyclone Fusion GPU blocks over at Petra's Tech Shop and it doesn't cost much more than a MCW60, MP-1 or Maze4. Maybe you should update the guide?

I will...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Typo in the Title of Swiftech Storm. Typed "Swifteh Storm", missing the "c"
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

thanks. must have just done that as i just edited the thread.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    GPU WaterBlocks

1. Danger Den Maze4 Acetl - 45USD - this is an excelent gpu waterblock with incredibly low restriction and great performance. I personally use one and generally reccomend them to everyone.

2. Cooltechnica MP-1 - 45USD - A newcomer to the gpu cooling segment, the MP-1 shows great potential, but with no publicly available data it cannot yet recieve my top reccomendation. With that said, sources say the waterblock performs several centigrade better than the Maze4.

3. Swiftech MCW-55 - 50USD - A revamp of the proven design of the MCW50. with improved flow characteristics it provides lower flow restriction and increased performance compared to the older, aluminum topped, MCW50. The waterblock performs on par with the Maze4. It should be noted that the performance data on this waterblock provided by swiftech should not be trusted. While their data is generally excelent, in the case of the MCW-55, it is.. in a word.. rubbish.

4. Cyclone Fusion HL - ~60USD - An Aussie waterblock of excelent construction and performance that is said to perform better than the Maze4. While this may be true there is no data as of yet to validate this. While an excelent blocks expense make it a less attractive option.

5. MCW-60 - 45USD - the MCW-60 is the next step up from the MCW-55. It uses the same base plate as the Apogee, and uses a molded delrin top. No performance data is available, but it should perform on par with the top sellers, the Maze-4 and MP-1. For 45 dollars the MCW-60 is actaully an incredible value as it comes with 8 MCW-14 ramsinks, normally around 15 dollars.
    Ok... Acetal is spelled wrong lol

and for MCW60, $45 is the block only, and no ramsinks
    Asus P5B-Deluxe 0614
    Conroe E6400 @ 2.56ghz
    Corsair Hx620
    Swiftech Storm r2 \\ Swiftech MCW60 \\ Swiftech MCW30 \\ Thermochill PA120.3 \\ Swiftech MCRES Micro \\ DDC+ Plexi Top

Heatware | Guide To Current WaterCooling Components | Guide To WaterCooling and Leak Testing

I was wondering about the MCW60.. looked at a few websites and some had it for 45 and it seemed like it had the ramsinks but i couldnt be sure.

thanks for the spell check.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    hehe noo problemo
    Asus P5B-Deluxe 0614
    Conroe E6400 @ 2.56ghz
    Corsair Hx620

Xtreme Member
    I was wondering about the MCW60.. looked at a few websites and some had it for 45 and it seemed like it had the ramsinks but i couldnt be sure.

Swiftech's own web store sells it for like $65 with ramsinks and $45 without.
    ~MadMikeSS~

Intel Q6600 G0 @ 3.2GHz 1.31v - AX MP-05 SP LE cooled
    P5B Deluxe 1236 BIOS
    HIS HD4850@750/1100 - AX MP-1 cooled
    Mushkin 4GB(1GBx4) DDR2-800 5-4-4-15 1.9v
    FSP 700W PSU
    Lian-Li PC-V2000B

good to know

Xtreme Member
    Swiftech has released a new triple MCR320-QP $56.95:
    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCR320-QP.asp

And new hwlabs Black Ice GT posted by Radical_53:
    http://xtremesystems.org/forums/show...6&postcount=43

Estimated price range:
    $36-$40 for the GTS120
    $43-$50 for the GTS240
    $53-$60 for the GTS360

Cheers Monge
    Last edited by Monge; 03-27-2006 at 10:06 AM.

Most websites I've seen have the copied and pasted Swiftech company description, which mentions the ramsinks. But, none of them I've contacted actually sell the block with the ramsinks for less than ~$65. They really should edit the product descritption on these sites, as it's rather misleading.
    * DFI NF4 Ultra-D Bios 704-2BTA
    * Opty 144 323 x 9, CAB2E 0546 UPMW
    * 2x512 OCZ PC3200 Gold Edition
    * XFX 7900 GT 600/1800
    * WD 250gb SATA II HDD
    * Samsung 940b 19" 8ms LCD
    * OCZ Powerstream 600
    * DTek White Water block
    * Aquaxtreme 50z 12v pump
    * '86 Chevette Heatercore
    * 1/2" ID tubing

Indeed it is.

7. Swiftech Apogee ... please try to avoid it as EVERY other block on this list performs superior to the Apogee.
    Just to keep things even slightly under perspective. See these reviews to see how good or "bad" Apogee is when used with actual processors:

http://www.cooling-masters.com/articles-35-9.html
    http://www.systemcooling.com/swiftech_apogee-12.html
    http://www.ocia.net/reviews/apogee/page5.shtml
    http://www.swiftnets.com/products/testsetup-apogee.htm
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=249

(This has been discussed many times, I just want to make sure newbies get all the facts.)

Summary: all the blocks perform practically identically when tested with real processors (using an IHS). The 1st test from Cooling Masters gives valid data for those who don't want to believe in integrated thermal diodes: Apogee heated the water more than Storm. So Apogee might even perform slightly better than other blocks (with processors having IHS: all new and future processors) but the results are most likely well within the error margin. I just think that a sticky should not use words like "superior" when that is obviously not the case. It should be mentioned that 14mmx14mm copper die simulator doesn't give results that correllate with real processor tests. Undoubtly the author already knows all this (Let's keep the flame war elsewhere.)

Xtreme Guru
    Lets keep the apogee out of it if we can, mmm?

I cant read french - if you can get me a translation, this might be the very first professional test of the apogee I see... but until then, all the data about it ive seen is dubious at best.
    flowrate is for losers!

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    I cant read french - if you can get me a translation, this might be the very first professional test of the apogee I see... but until then, all the data about it ive seen is dubious at best.
    You could try this:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

I also can't any French, but the translation should give you the idea what they did and measure. (eau == water ) Just ask if there is something which you don't understand.

PS. If 5-10 tests ("dubious" or not) all show that waterblocks perform practically identically, it should be clear that the "true" differences can't be very big. That is just common sense.

Lee showed the apogee to actually perform worse on the calibrated test bed.

OCIA should be banned from the internet for their stupidity with regard to all reviews.

And Swiftech. While a great company it would take alot of convincing for me to really trust a companies word on their super duper fantastic product.

BUT the coolingmasters review is very good. While not the best way of measuring hte CPU temp, its alot better than some other reviews on the net. I would still have to say that the probe in the IHS is the way to go for real CPU testing. That or doing the diode mod.

Lee showed the apogee to actually perform worse on the calibrated test bed.
    Lee also admitted that "Live CPU testing may be of more interest to the general water-cooling community who has no desire to remove the CPU’s IHS." Lee himself admitted that the "calibrated test bed" results don't seem to apply to modern processors with IHS. I also think that majority of users don't want to ruin the warranty of their processors. In my opinion you simply can't make any conclusions based on results from 14mmx14mm copper simulator. All the real CPU results support this view.

OCIA should be banned from the internet for their stupidity with regard to all reviews.
    Maybe, but the data still showed 0 differences. If Apogee sucks big time, we would've seen even a very small difference. But no.

And Swiftech. While a great company it would take alot of convincing for me to really trust a companies word on their super duper fantastic product.
    That is very true: I'd also take it with a grain of salt. But still, it still shows the exact same kind of results that all the other real processor tests.

BUT the coolingmasters review is very good. While not the best way of measuring hte CPU temp, its alot better than some other reviews on the net. I would still have to say that the probe in the IHS is the way to go for real CPU testing. That or doing the diode mod.
    I think there are far better ways to test this so that we wouldn't have to rely on possibly misaligned temp sensors. A few ideas:

1. Test the overclockability. That is the ultimate goal: to run the processor as fast as possible and still stable. The only test has been made by Swiftech and it show a slight edge to Apogee.

2. Measure the temperature of the water: the more the water temp goes up, the better the block is. This can be done without radiator to remove that variable. Cooling-Masters most showed that Apogee heated the water more efficiently.

Bottom line: before we get better/more evidence you really should remove the comments suggesting that other blocks are "superior" to Apogee. That is just your personal opinion, not a fact based on test results. If you want to give all the facts, then state that Apogee didn't do very well on a 14mmx14mm copper simulator but does very well on real CPUs. If better tests come out, that can be changed to reflect the reality. I don't care whatever block is the best and worst but things should be kept in perspective.

Xtreme Guru
    If 10 idiots tell you the world is flat, does it make them right?
    flowrate is for losers!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast