Thread: My experiences with 3 different tubings.

Xtreme Member

My experiences with 3 different tubings.

Ive been water cooling for almost 2 years and have worked with three different types of tubings and thought to offer my experience with you folks.

Thin Wall PVC tubing (1/2ID, 5/8OD)
    Thick Wall PVC Tubing (1/2ID, 3/4OD)
    Tygon Thin wall tubing (1/2ID).

The first i worked with was the thin wall PVC tubing. This tubing was cheap ($.69/foot at Ace Harware). It shaped pretty easily and didnt have much torque (try to return to its original shape). Kinking wasnt too bad but too tight of turns would cause it to flatten. Made good contacts with nozzles on water blocks and elbows/bars/Tlines. A great "generic tubing" for the average water cooler.

Thick wall PVC tubing: This stuff was a bit more expensive but just as readily available at Ace Hardware ($.99/foot). This stuff will not kink no matter how much you try to force it. Main problem is torquing. I connected it from my processor to NB chipset (using the intel retention mech) and it was moving it around so badly that it wasnt making proper contact. Also make sure you have a good form of cutting, regular skizors wont do the job!

Thin Wall Tygon tubing: First and foremost: ITS EXPENSIVE STUFF! I got it from frozencpu.com for 3.25 a foot (a slight discount for 5 feet, which i did). The best part of this stuff: No torquing effects whatsoever! I can make the tighest turns and it applies no force. It kinks somewhat easily but its not too much of a problem. Requires a few elbows. It makes the BEST connections with nozzles and stuff, so much so its almost impossible to get off (but slides right on). So like i said, very expensive stuff but my favorite.

I used a mixture of the thin wall PVC and thin wall tygon for my rig. Tygon for my innter workings among water blocks, and thinwall PVC for straight runs to the radiators.

Hope this is useful to some!
    DFI Lanparty X48 T2r (Swiftech GTZ)
    Intel Q9450 (DD MPC)
    4 x 2GB OCZ DDR2 1000
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mb (EK-4870FC)
    2x 500gb SATAII RAID 0
    2x 200gb SATA RAID 1 (Back ups)
    2x 160gb SATA RAID 1 (Back ups)
    Creative X-fi Fatal1ty (Overglorified software sound in Vista...was great with XP )
    Don't Forget - The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Xtreme Member
    I can vouch for the thin wall tubing. Its cheap but the bend radius isn't too good.

now i use Masterkleer Tubing 7/16ID 5/8OD tubing it and it work incredibly well.

beefin' it up!
    i vouch for clearflex 60... thick walled and $.68 a foot at mcmaster. really flexible, and it doesn't kink.

Xtreme Member
    I vote for silicone tubing
    E6400@3.2GHZ | P5B deluxe |8800GTS 512MB | 2*250GB Hitachi + 500GB WD|
    Aerocool masstige | Seasonic 600W |
    MX510@450HZ | 24" LG 245WP
    Cooled by: Swiftech storm - MCP 655 - Maze4/EK vodni block - Nexxos Dual Extreme

A64 3000+@2.9ghz // XP M 2500+@2.5ghz // XP M 2600+@2.6ghz benchable at 2.9ghz superpi 35s //
    AMD opteron 146@3GHZ CABYE APMW batch 0076

Xtreme Member
    primoflex

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Personally, I like the 7/16"ID 5/8"OD Tygon R-3603 tubing... stuff works great and I've never had any kinking issues with it.

Overclocking X.I.P. Otaku
    I've had great success with Tygon R-3603, though I will be giving the Cleaflex 60 a try this go around.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Another vote for tygon, after i tried that those thin tubing that cant bent for Sh*t. i was pissed.

Xtreme Member
    Another vote for tygon.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Tygon for me as well, (need to take picts of my rig)