Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mount ANY s478 Heatsink/Fan on a CT-479!!!

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachia
    now i have understood

ot/

is you the guy in your avatar???

/ot
    No - LOL The guy in the avatar is a "Bounty Hunter" -"Dog" Dwayne Chapman. He is on television.
    The guy in the truck is me. runmc scroll down. A picture of the legendary "TooFast" is also in this thread.

If a criminal is out of jail on bond, and doesn't appear for court on a specified day, a bounty hunter can find the criminal and bring the criminal into police for money.
    For the criminal to get out of jail on bond, he must give the court money to hold. This money guarentees the criminal will show up for his court date. If the bounty hunter has to find and pick up the criminal, he will receive the bond money.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    must be a nice telefilm

btw, nice truck, is new?

So, would the heatsink retention bracket then be above the ct-479? On stock setup, ct-479 rests on the bracket. How does this affect the 4-pin power connector...would that have to be removed? Pics please.
    P4C800-e Del./CT-479| Intel Mobile P-M 745 1.8 GHz (dothan, 400 mhz FSB) | 2x512 Hyperam PC4200 | XFX 6600GT (600/1200) | Maxtor 7200rpm 80gb IDE HDD | TTGI Super Flower 550W Silence | Audigy 2 ZS

Xtreme Member
    In most cases the fan, power plug, and fsb jumper sticking up on the adapter need to be removed, and either extended via a few inches of wire, or in the the jumpers case it can be hardwired to either 400 or 533.

Your best bet would be to scrap the fan connector (just remove it), extend the power plug, and hardwire the jumper

A little bit of all 3 options
    One of these days I will do a full set of Benches, until then....

CPUZ Verified OC
    P4GD1 | Dothan 770 on CT479 adapter w/ hipro5 mods | 2gb Gskill BHV (coming soon) | BFG 7900GTX | PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI
    Airtight Case and Custom Chiller

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great find, charlie...

In general,
    I had attempted the spacer approach last week, but it did not work for me because my retention bracket already had a partial spacer underneath the frame, meaning that the four upright arms that the heatsink mounting clips attach to are shorter on my retention bracket than in the metal bracket pictured by charlie. Because the inner rim of my retention bracket frame was already "elevated", as compared to charlie's, it did not have enough room to move up the needed 6 mm before it hit the underside of the CT-479's PCB. I arrived at that 6 mm measurement by putting a straight edge on top of a standard P4 inserted in the socket and measuring between the underside of the straight edge and the top of the mobo's (P4C800-E) PCB (6.8 mm). I then repeated the step with a P-M inserted in the adapter (12.9 mm). The resulting difference of 6.1 mm is the amount that needs to be added in spacers to compensate for the height difference.

Instead of washers I had used a piece of PVC pipe/tubing (1/4" x 3/8") as my spacer, cut on a miter box to achieve a straight cut. When the spacer is cut as a single piece it is sufficiently stiff and this material is easily found at the local Home Depot or similar building supply or hardware store. You obviously have to adjust the lenght of the spacer by any washers used.

I will be ordering one of those metal brackets and trying this out again.

In response to the question about where the adapter would be located, in relation to the heatsink retention bracket...no, the adapter would stay above the bracket. The frame of the metal bracket pictured by charlie has alot of room between it and the bottom of the adapter's PCB (unlike the one that I tried). By adding the spacers, the bottom of the retention bracket is lifted, but not so much that it causes it to hit the PCB. Remember, the adapter does not sit on the heatsink retention bracket, it sits on the socket and doesn't even touch the retention bracket.

Below are pictures taken by one of the guys over at OCF showing an adapter, modified by the removal of the power connector's plastic housing and the soldering of the jumpers. The pins of the connector are bent at a 90 degree angle which allows the connectors to still be used. This is an alternative to the soldering of wires and may work on some sinks, while not others. The text describing what he did is in Section 1.5 Modding the adapter in the first post of the linked thread.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=393963
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modded_connectors_01.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	32931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modded_connectors_02.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	32932   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modded_connectors_03.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	32933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modded_connectors_04.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	32934  
    Last edited by Reefa_Madness; 06-22-2005 at 02:53 PM.

Xtreme Member
    ok i understand a bit now, but umm we don really have "hardware" stores rnd here, so itd be hard to find the stuff mentioned

the pics wud be serious help

Xtreme Member
    Nice Work

I have a few requests.

I am makinga compendium of info on Dothan and I would be very grateful if you could take some pics of say the materials used and pics of the final setup.
    AMD X2 3800+
    DFi LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
    2 x 1Gb Crucial PC8500 [Anniversary Heatspreaders ]
    Custom Watercooling on the way
    Thermalright XP-90 right now
    27" 1080p HDTV for monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by The Inq
    We expect the results to go officially live prior to Barcelona launch in September. µ

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by EvlUndrWareNome
    I am makinga compendium of info on Dothan and I would be very grateful if you could take some pics of say the materials used and pics of the final setup.
    All due respect, but that thread already exists, in a sticky: Dothan @ CT-479 - howto and fixes.

Why don't you just e-mail stryg with the info?
    <----- REST IN PEACE, KIT. 1993-2007.

Xtreme Member
    Its different than that. Instead of all this information everywhere, I am making it into one nicely put together thing. Anyways, I would like to see exactly how this works since my motherboard and adapter are coming in within the next few days.
    AMD X2 3800+
    DFi LANPARTY UT NF590 SLI-M2R/G
    2 x 1Gb Crucial PC8500 [Anniversary Heatspreaders ]
    Custom Watercooling on the way
    Thermalright XP-90 right now
    27" 1080p HDTV for monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by The Inq
    We expect the results to go officially live prior to Barcelona launch in September. µ

Xtreme Member
    Halo! Where is your pics Charlie???

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Quote Originally Posted by linhvndiy
    Halo! Where is your pics Charlie???
    I'm already onto a different method... I just bent the stock ct-479 clips and they work on a hyper6 with no shims... there's a LOT of ways to mount hs/f on these things.

C

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gautam did that (bend the stock CT-479 clips) with a T/R SLK948U and got it to work so you are right there, charlie, just need to be a little creative (and careful in order to protect the core).

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by EvlUndrWareNome
    Its different than that. Instead of all this information everywhere, I am making it into one nicely put together thing. Anyways, I would like to see exactly how this works since my motherboard and adapter are coming in within the next few days.
    Good luck updating a pdf every day

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stryg
    Good luck updating a pdf every day
    I'd just like to point out that stryg does complile all of the information posted in the how-to thread on the first post of the sticky, and that this info is not "all this information everywhere".

And I toast to the man for his troubles!
    <----- REST IN PEACE, KIT. 1993-2007.

Can i install a slk948u?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisteccone
    Can i install a slk948u?
    I think if lift up thermal's 370-478,Kanie 294M can be installed
    NewHorizon

Xtreme Enthusiast
    forgive my ignorance, but whats wrong with just removing the retention module and screwing a heatsink/block right into the board? (I don't have my ct-479 + p4p800se yet so I don't know if that will work)?

Xtreme Member
    The ct-479 covers 2 of the holes so you MUST use the bracket to install a heatsink/block
    CPU: intel i5 3570K
    Board: Maximus V Formula
    RAM: G.skill 8gb 2666MHz
    Video: 2x ATI HD 5870 CrossfireX
    PSU: Corsair 850w
    Case: Antec P182
    Cooling: Prolimatech Megahalems

Xtreme Enthusiast
    damn - that's a pain... might try charlie's method when my parts come...

Xtreme Member
    My friend is currently machining an aluminum IHS nearly the same as the p4 IHS. If this IHS works properly, I'm going to mount something other than this POS stock ct-479 cooler. Should I go with the xp-90 (harder to do but cheaper) or the 7700cu (easy from what I've heard but like $45)? How hard is it to mount the xp-90?

Quote Originally Posted by banias_bao
    I think if lift up thermal's 370-478,Kanie 294M can be installed
    tried but failed
    NewHorizon

Xtreme Addict
    hmm,, itd be fun to use a zalman 7700CU on one, or especially the watercooling set i have now. watercooling + dothan= 3ghz maybe?
    "Roses are FF0000, Violets are 0000FF, All my base are belong to you."
    Asus P6X58D-E
    I7 930 @ 3.9
    Asus 660ti DirectCU OC
    Antec Twelve-Hundred

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Watercooling doesn't do much for these Dotties, unfortunately...low TPD, so you need very good single stage or cascade, CO2 or LN2 to get these cpu's to their limit.

But, if you luv to do it just because, there is always the "wow" factor at the next LAN
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_knowitall15
    hmm,, itd be fun to use a zalman 7700CU on one, or especially the watercooling set i have now. watercooling + dothan= 3ghz maybe?
    If you have a 770/780 chip it is possible . Don`t expect much watercooling a Dothan , they are not so sensitive to temps dropping compared to other cpus .
    E6600@3.3Ghz
    P5B-Dlx ( 0711 bios )
    BBA X1900XTX
    4x512 Corsair 5400UL

----------------------------------------------------
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at
    this distance" (last words of Gen.
    John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864) "

----------------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12