Thread: OPB takes pcmark04 AMD WR

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Well, you could also be called the amd die killer

That one was good! HAHA
    Intel FTW!

Beanna

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There is something funny about some A64´s. I have had two that suddenly started to act weird.

This is what I found when I took a look at the pins.

A64 Clawhammer s754 - AN50R - Vapochill

This is the other one after having removed the solder.

K8N Neo2 - 3500+ NewCastle - Water

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onepagebook
    Well, I will have pic showing back side of mobo later.
    I still love AMD, but for those amd read this thread,

AMD gotta send me another killer of FX55.
    I bet I am the die-hard AMD user
    OPB,
    Sorry about the mishap. $1K hard ware is very hard to swallow. I feel for you. Give AMD and DFI a try, you have champion thier cause, they should be nice enough to pay you back.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 [L625A] 3330MHz 1.375Vcore 24/7
    Core 2 Duo E6600 [L640F] 3330MHz 1.475Vcore
    Crucial 10th Anv 2 x 1GB DDR2-667 @ 463MHz 4-4-4-12
    ASUS P5B Dlx
    FOTRON BLUE STORM 500W
    TT BT with stock Fan
    Gigabyte Nvidia 7600GSw/ Silent Pipe
    WD Cavier 250GB
    Antec P160

hmm. can't imagine what temps that cpu were exposed to. Copper melts at 1084c and both the pins, pcb and socket is like... gone
    Want to see the backside of the board, but I think you were playing a bit too close to your rig with that c4

Banned
    here is the back side of whole motherboard.nothing, only some foam tape I did not really clean it up.

Is the tin is melted under the orange slot (the nearest from the socket)?
    What the heck happen? Whenever water managed to get there, it should have create a shortcut on the side of the processor, not in the middle.

I think we need Scully an Mulder here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EclectiK
    Is the tin is melted under the orange slot (the nearest from the socket)?
    What the heck happen? Whenever water managed to get there, it should have create a shortcut on the side of the processor, not in the middle.

I think we need Scully an Mulder here.

This is not in X- files yet.

Phenom™
    Wait Kev,
    So the hole didn't go all the way through the board?

Wait Kev,
    So the hole didn't go all the way through the board?
    It seems not so.

Cues up Pink Panther music

Sorry to see your loss OPB! Another killer FX gone bye-bye...

Very nice results before she blew

Must say though, you did indeed do some Xtreme Frying there bro Reminds me of someones sig around here about "Killing our HW with Xtreme Effeciency"...

A closeup of the area around the orange DIMM over to the white silk screen box on the back of the MB would be helpful But... from looking at the pics of the processor and socket, you somehow got an Xtreme overvoltage situation to your CPU... like maybe +5 or +12 got shorted to Vcore, or more likely shorted to one of the I/O voltage rails of the CPU or maybe mem signal lines. Looks like heat damage in two places of the orange DIMM socket in the top pics too. The results are consistent with that type of fault (high ov), causing the die to burn out through the bottom and fry whatever is under it (your socket). I've seen the exact same type of results from both metal top ASICs and standard logic ICs (much thicker plastic on top than bottom) on prototype boards where a significantly higher level rail was shorted to their supply voltage... acts like a blow torch when they go. Major drag

silver wall jumper X
    Boyoboy - what a nightmare - sorry for your rig! RIP

Ive killed my fair share of hardware in my time (4 mobos to be exact ) the feeling i had each time was

but this is on a completely different level, i cant begin to imagine the how low you must be feeling OPB.

But alas your still my hero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow just checked these pics out! It does look like arcing by the dimm slots also. Wonder what's the chance of some condensation while under load then refreezing when off load causing the socket to crack. I lost a 3500+ but was due to removing the ihs and cutting the board a bit. Caused a spark and a burn on the socket but nothing near that. Most recent loss was an X850XT trying my first vmod.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harleybro
    Wow just checked these pics out! It does look like arcing by the dimm slots also. Wonder what's the chance of some condensation while under load then refreezing when off load causing the socket to crack. I lost a 3500+ but was due to removing the ihs and cutting the board a bit. Caused a spark and a burn on the socket but nothing near that. Most recent loss was an X850XT trying my first vmod.

/shoulda practised on a 9500, no?

Sorry about the loss opb, really sucks... makes me not wanna go to extreme cooling.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NajZ
    Ive killed my fair share of hardware in my time (4 mobos to be exact ) the feeling i had each time was

but this is on a completely different level, i cant begin to imagine the how low you must be feeling OPB.

But alas your still my hero

Low is not the feeling of losing hardware, it's on the 0435 upaw FX55

EDIT: you have pm
    -saaya
    Last edited by saaya; 05-15-2005 at 09:36 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Formann
    There is something funny about some A64´s. I have had two that suddenly started to act weird.

This is what I found when I took a look at the pins.

A64 Clawhammer s754 - AN50R - Vapochill

This is the other one after having removed the solder.

K8N Neo2 - 3500+ NewCastle - Water
    looks like the solder of one of the pins melted and shorted other pins... what vcore did you give it? what vdimm? can you show a full pic of the cpu so we can identify the pin that started losing its solder please?

kevin, what vdim where you running? and what were your rails at? maybe too high vio or vdimm caused this rather than vcore

Quote Originally Posted by Onepagebook
    Low is not the feeling of losing hardware, it's on the 0435 upaw FX55
    yeah, sorry for your loss man...

Saaya, I think you keep forgetting that the whole socket area was insulated. Therefore a type explosion won't happen. There's nowhere for the heat to explode outward (beyond the socket). Therefore, it just builds and eventually bubbles up through the socket. You actually described the scenario above. I'm thinking the "explosion" happened first under the socket, and the heat first tried to exit through the cpu but upon hitting the ihs, the only way it had out was through the back of the mobo. Of course, this all would happen in a matter of milliseconds. I guarantee that whatever that mobo was sitting on, there's a scorch mark right where the socket was. Trust me, I've blown up my share of things and they don't necessarily have to be spectacular explosions - like the time my waterblock slipped off of my chipset on my brand new Abit it7. I looked down and thought to myself "Hey cool! I didn't know there was an LED over there by the memory slots!" Well it wasn't an LED. It was an IC which got so hot, it was glowing red and it eventually fell off the board (along with the chipset)
    yeah, the cpu/mobo was shorted and then melted creating gas wich broke the socket in 2 or more parts... but believe me, ive seen loads of burned athlonxp cpus, and this is 100% how it looks...

this is exactly what happened with an athlonxp if you would remove the heatsink or other cooling while it was under load with a high vcore...

formanns post looks very interesting, i think something similar happened to kevins cpu

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    looks like the solder of one of the pins melted and shorted other pins... what vcore did you give it? what vdimm? can you show a full pic of the cpu so we can identify the pin that started losing its solder please?
    1.8vcore and 3.6vdimm. Sorry, those pictures are the only one I have. It should be easy tho, identifying the pins using the corner with the arrow like marking.

On my 3500+ I found a trace of solder between two pins. After removing it I could run Dual-Channel again. Makes me think the pins are connected to the RAM.

Running 3.6+ vdimm is drawing to many amps so that the pins get hot and the solder melts... maybe?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    no, from the pic i cant see on what side of the package the pins are, can you check it on your cpu and tell me wich pins it is? and what about the newcastle, can you tell me what pin had melted solder on that chip?

see, it could be either of those 4 pin groups, but it has definately to do with the memory! so its most likely a vdimm or vref issue id say...

VSS is ground btw, and the solder was between a memory and a ground pin, so yeah, most likely vdimm went too high and the solder melted shorting vdimm to ground. tromann did you use an ocz booster? kevin, did you?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x-file 244648.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	30566  

Xtreme Legend
    Sorry about your hardware but hey.. it's not even possible to score AMD WR anymore with FX-55:

Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampsa
    Sorry about your hardware but hey.. it's not even possible to score AMD WR anymore with FX-55:

Ya, I know, but how about use a fx55?
    or give me that x2, I break your record?
    I am sorry.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    hmmmm your cpu died from something different kevin, the center of where it started to melt has no memory related pins, its all pure vcore and ground pins aka vdd and vss... there are some vddio wich is vdimm pins, but they are on the side of the "crater" so its unlikely they caused this.

your chip somehow died because the vcore and ground pins got shorted... again, very weird that the mainboard or psu didnt shut down the rig inmediatly...
    any ideas?

hmmm how was the mobo positioned kevin? was it lying flat or was the case standing up?

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    hmmmm your cpu died from something different kevin, the center of where it started to melt has no memory related pins, its all pure vcore and ground pins aka vdd and vss... there are some vddio wich is vdimm pins, but they are on the side of the "crater" so its unlikely they caused this.

your chip somehow died because the vcore and ground pins got shorted... again, very weird that the mainboard or psu didnt shut down the rig inmediatly...
    any ideas?

hmmm how was the mobo positioned kevin? was it lying flat or was the case standing up?

Hi mulder, glad to see you, we've been waiting a long till you come solve this strange mobo-self-suicide

Xtreme Guru
    [QUOTE=Onepagebook]too bad, after that running,,
    my second dead fx55 and a strong SLI-DR were gone for sure
    Is this extreme enough?
    Is this cpu still can get warranty?
    man, just 1.85v..

THanks OPB, I made this image my desktop background>
    that's insane! Keep up the good work!
    You are a true inspiration to overclockers everywhere!

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    insane....

The WORST motherboard carnage I've EVER seen!!!

C

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by trans am
    THanks OPB, I made this image my desktop background>
    that's insane! Keep up the good work!
    You are a true inspiration to overclockers everywhere!
    Only you would have the artistic knack to use that sad image as a desktop wallpaper. You crack me up, Alvin.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast