Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OPB takes pcmark04 AMD WR

Xtreme Member
    omg.
    OPB..
    extreme..

XIP
    Wow OPB, like Ozzie said, its probly condensation.

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Onepagebook
    too bad, after that running,,
    my second dead fx55 and a strong SLI-DR were gone for sure
    Is this extreme enough?
    Is this cpu still can get warranty?
    man, just 1.85v..

http://img53.echo.cx/img53/1221/burned013bd.jpg

http://img53.echo.cx/img53/1267/burned028pz.jpg
    holy crap practically looks like someone shot a bullet through the back of the board's cpu socket right through the cpu ...
    ---

Love and Peace!
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000
    holy crap practically looks like someone shot a bullet through the back of the board's cpu socket right through the cpu ...
    agreed... time to calculate approximate power draw

stock wattage = 104w at 1.5v
    104w * (3600mhz/2600mhz) * (1.85v/1.5v)^2 = 219w (rough approximation )
    watts = voltage * amperage
    thus, amperage = 219w / 1.85v = 118a
    Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them

XIP
    1.85V should be ok as long as no condensation.

Banned
    I am pretty sure no condesation there

Xtreme Member
    wow

Love and Peace!
    hmm, considering your oc'ing experience, i would hope not

but i really do wonder what it was... this is gonna be something that will bug me for the next month or so
    Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them

Xtreme Member
    SWEETT!!!! Great score and although the meltdown sucks thats very cool bragging rights and proof whos the man! Makes me proud to see my score considering that crap im running for a board an memory. Mind If use the pic for an avi?
    "Fanbouyism is a disease we all carry but most have immune systems that keep it at bay. However when coupled with a bad dose of ignorance and Low IQ numbers, this disease can be accelerated out of control to boast insane amounts of irradic, Defensive, or Aggressive behaviour and unexplainable devotion to a product or label whether or not that item is truly deserving" -DR Ima Noober, June 1, 2003

Asus P5QL-Pro
    Kinston HyperX 4x2 gigs 5-5-515@ 1120 mghz
    Q6600 - 3.33 GHZ
    2x Sapphire 4870 1 gig
    Galaxie 850 PSU- this thing rocks
    audigy 2zs gamer
    4x Freezones to cool Proc. Idle @ 10c- Full load @29c(soon to be 5x in my new twelve hundred case)
    Vista ultimate 64

Phenom™
    Just talked to opb and he's saying he's having probs with overvolt protection kicking in on the first stage of his cascade...

Bulletproof
    Holy hell... is the cpu melted through clear to the spreader? I can't even imagine a PSU's Dc output doing something like that. looks like you routed an ac line through it and turned it into a soldering plate.
    :P
    Only the stupidest humans believe that the dogma of relative filth is a defense.

In fact, it's difficult to get condesation there, in the middle of the CPU, I don't think so.

RMA?

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by EclectiK
    In fact, it's difficult to get condesation there, in the middle of the CPU, I don't think so.

RMA?
    Actually, notice the hole goes all the way through the board. So if it was condensation, it could have been from moisture which collected on the back of the socket.

xtreme energy
    Oh, sorry to see that. Looks awful to be honest but that is called Extreme! Wondering what would AMD say

Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Actually, notice the hole goes all the way through the board. So if it was condensation, it could have been from moisture which collected on the back of the socket.
    That what I've said to some french forumers , I asked if there's any pictures of the mobo's back, and so I came see the disaster myself, but I haven't noticed it's go through the mobo.

OPB do you have any pictures that show the back of the mobo, and its insulation before this happen?

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by EclectiK
    That what I've said to some french forumers , I asked if there's any pictures of the mobo's back, and so I came see the disaster myself, but I haven't noticed it's go through the mobo.

OPB do you have any pictures that show the back of the mobo, and its insulation before this happen?
    Looking at the pic again, I've gotta think that whatever happened, it happened either below or behind the socket. Something blew up from underneath in a major way, how the socket is melted is evidence of that. Kinda looks like volcano erupted, but in this case an FX55 was plugging the hole

Xtreme X.I.P.
    how the heck did you get the chip to run that hot??? even if the heatsink would have been removed with 2v vcore and 4ghz clockspeed it shouldnt get hot enough to burn the cpu, the package and the mobo like that... thats very weird... a64s shut down the system when they reach 120°C i think, and the new 90nm cpus even at 80°C... very weird... did you disable the overheat protection somehow?

there is nothing i can think of that could kill the board and cpu like that other than having the overheat protection disabled and then remove the heatsink under load at a high vcore...

or holding a torch below the mobo socket

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER
    That image would make a good avatar for Intel fan.
    huh?

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    how the heck did you get the chip to run that hot??? even if the heatsink would have been removed with 2v vcore and 4ghz clockspeed it shouldnt get hot enough to burn the cpu, the package and the mobo like that... thats very weird... a64s shut down the system when they reach 120°C i think, and the new 90nm cpus even at 80°C... very weird... did you disable the overheat protection somehow?

there is nothing i can think of that could kill the board and cpu like that other than having the overheat protection disabled and then remove the heatsink under load at a high vcore...

or holding a torch below the mobo socket

huh?
    Saaya, the chip didn't self destruct Something shorted under the socket and exploded, taking the cpu down with it. Ironically, the insulation for the evap probably make things worse since all the heat from the explosion was trapped inside the socket.
    Oh, btw, Fugger is saying that's a cool pic for an AMD hater's avatar

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by s7e9h3n
    Saaya, the chip didn't self destruct Something shorted under the socket and exploded, taking the cpu down with it.
    something exploded? like what? c4 explosives?
    this is looking like an x-file to me ^^

i cant understand how the chip died like this... i cant find any logical explanations... there is nothing in a cpu, or a cpus package or a mainboards cpu socket that can explode, and if it would have exploded then it would look different, the socket would have been split into several sharp edged pieces, but the socket and the cpu package have a hole burned into it. the only thing that a cpu and a mainboard can create is heat and electrical current, if it gets shorted somehow its possible that a lot of heat is beeing created wich heats up the air and plastic, melts it and create a bubble of hot gas wich can then blow the socket up, but thats not how this looks, it has a hole that is burnt through the cpus package and the mainboard, to achieve this you would need very very high temps for several seconds... and as soon as the board or cpu get shorted the system should shut down inmediatly...

so i really dont get how this happened

kevin, can you explain in detail what happened?

EDIT: maybe the dfi has the overheat protection bypassed or disabled to solve possible low temp bugs? hmmm
    Last edited by saaya; 05-13-2005 at 06:25 AM.

Ebay Hater
    s7e9h3n, considering your affiliations with AMD, could you try to find out what the hell happened?

This is most likely a board issue, but still
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliette
    s7e9h3n, considering your affiliations with AMD, could you try to find out what the hell happened?

This is most likely a board issue, but still
    I don't think there's much I (nor anybody else for that matter) would be able to figure out what really happened. The cpu is burned beyond recognition and that board.....well....ummm....I don't even know how to describe that . The only person who has any idea right now is OPB and he, understandably, hasn't wanted to talk about the situation in depth. I had a little chat with him last night, but I got the impression that he wanted to avoid the specifics all together....probably too depressing. We'll wait for him to chime in first and then if he wants, I'll see what I can do (but tbh, I don't think that would get anywhere)

Xtreme Addict
    aua, that is hurt my friend

but dude that is xtreme !
    Asus P5-E X38 Intel QX9650 INOO3D 9800 Gx2 4x Super Talent's T800UX2GC4
    Creative X-Fi Raid 0 Raptors 36Gb data 1Tb Seasonic M12 700w
    Dell 2407WFP Lian-Li Pc-65 mod Custom Built Phase Change Unit |Logitech G25|

RIG#2: DFI LANPARTY LT X48-T2R|Q9550| INOO3D 9800GTX|
    2xCellshok 1000| PC Power and cooling 750w Thermaltake v1
    Wife: DFI LANPARTY UT P35-T2R|Q930|BFG 8800GTS 512MB|
    Samsung ddrII 667| PC Power and cooling 610eps12v Thermaltake v1

Htpc:Dfi Sli-Dr Venus|3700+|2x1gb Team Group ddr500|Thermaltake Mozart TX

Phenom™
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    something exploded? like what? c4 explosives?
    this is looking like an x-file to me ^^

i cant understand how the chip died like this... i cant find any logical explanations... there is nothing in a cpu, or a cpus package or a mainboards cpu socket that can explode, and if it would have exploded then it would look different, the socket would have been split into several sharp edged pieces, but the socket and the cpu package have a hole burned into it. the only thing that a cpu and a mainboard can create is heat and electrical current, if it gets shorted somehow its possible that a lot of heat is beeing created wich heats up the air and plastic, melts it and create a bubble of hot gas wich can then blow the socket up, but thats not how this looks, it has a hole that is burnt through the cpus package and the mainboard, to achieve this you would need very very high temps for several seconds... and as soon as the board or cpu get shorted the system should shut down inmediatly...

so i really dont get how this happened

kevin, can you explain in detail what happened?

EDIT: maybe the dfi has the overheat protection bypassed or disabled to solve possible low temp bugs? hmmm
    Saaya, I think you keep forgetting that the whole socket area was insulated. Therefore a type explosion won't happen. There's nowhere for the heat to explode outward (beyond the socket). Therefore, it just builds and eventually bubbles up through the socket. You actually described the scenario above. I'm thinking the "explosion" happened first under the socket, and the heat first tried to exit through the cpu but upon hitting the ihs, the only way it had out was through the back of the mobo. Of course, this all would happen in a matter of milliseconds. I guarantee that whatever that mobo was sitting on, there's a scorch mark right where the socket was. Trust me, I've blown up my share of things and they don't necessarily have to be spectacular explosions - like the time my waterblock slipped off of my chipset on my brand new Abit it7. I looked down and thought to myself "Hey cool! I didn't know there was an LED over there by the memory slots!" Well it wasn't an LED. It was an IC which got so hot, it was glowing red and it eventually fell off the board (along with the chipset)

Banned
    Well, I will have pic showing back side of mobo later.
    I still love AMD, but for those amd read this thread,

AMD gotta send me another killer of FX55.
    I bet I am the die-hard AMD user

Phenom™
    Well, I will have pic showing back side of mobo later.
    I still love AMD, but for those amd read this thread,

AMD gotta send me another killer of FX55.
    I bet I am the die-hard AMD user
    Well, you could also be called the amd die killer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast