Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: amd dual core preview

Hybrid View

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthogonal
    I like that idea and it makes sense. The only reason they are scaling down the core frequencies in the first place is that it's much harder to guarantee two cores that are fabbed right next to each other to have a particular speed bin. It is very likely that when they are making one of these dual core processors rated at 2.4 Ghz, one of them runs just fine at that speed but one barely manages 2.0 Ghz. So they would have to speed bin it down to a 2.0Ghz processor. If this ever happens to be the case, it would be hard to implement what you say as the OS would have to know if one or both of the particular cores are capable of OCing for a single thread.
    well the cores could be tested indepndantly by amd and speed binned independantly by amd, IF they implement an indepndant clock signal for each core

Quote Originally Posted by trance565
    lol, linux will get taht done really quick im sure lol, 6 months b4 windows mebbe? but ya, that would be a sweet concept
    nah, linux would have support 6 months after the feature has been anounced to be integrated into future cpus, and will be ready at release of the cpu that features this, while windows would have support ready when the NEXT generation after the cpu that first supported the feature comes out

and EMC2, sweet pic! heres some more money:

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    well the cores could be tested indepndantly by amd and speed binned independantly by amd, IF they implement an indepndant clock signal for each core
    FYI... which wouldn't happen without a socket change Remember that the dual-cores are suppose to be "drop-in" replacements for current CPUs.

EMC2, sweet pic! heres some more money:
    Save your for a dual-core later this year.

Here's one like the thread topic Saya. If I ever make it back over to your side of the pond you can buy me a cup of java.

Peace
    Last edited by EMC2; 04-04-2005 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Err in img

Xtreme X.I.P.
    @ EMC2

You provide very through information here...
    I just can't help asking you what you do for a living or what is your background? Sorry, If I dig too deep

Quote Originally Posted by bachus_anonym
    You provide very through information here...
    hehehe... sorry, long story dealing with the "thorough" part, reminded me of a recent conversation at work... you sure you haven't talked to someone I have worked with or for ?

I just can't help asking you what you do for a living or what is your background? Sorry, If I dig too deep
    Understandable Q... no need to apologize Michal It's one of my least favorite topics (me) for conversation... but... will require PMs, YGPM.

--- Saaya ---

Come one bro, no tempting

*momentarily drifts off down memory lane*

Maybe one... a nice cold glass boot full during Octoberfest

Excuse my rustiness, has been a while... Ich wohne in Wehen für 3 Jahre, sehr vernarrte Gedachtnisse

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC2
    If I ever make it back over to your side of the pond you can buy me a cup of java.
    not some good fresh german beer?

Xtreme Member
    Man these dual-core CPU's look pretty nice. I hope they won't have the temp bug.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234