Thread: So what do I do with this free PIII coppermine box I just got?

So what do I do with this free PIII coppermine box I just got?

I just got a PIII given to me for free. It is a Costa Rica 866/256/133/1.65V SL43J.

Intel Spec Finder

It came with an ASUS CUV4X motherboard, ATI all in wonder, 256Mb ECC PC133, 40Gb drive, Audigy SB LIVE, CD-ROM, CD-RW, etc.

1) I have seen that there are a lot of people that get at least 1GHz out of the coppermines. What are my odds?
    2) Is the ASUS an ok board for O/Cing? Will it get this processor to 1GHz.
    3) I am going to replace the ATi with my Nvidia GeForce2 and run linux for the O/S since linux does do too well with ATI. Will this machine make an ok firewall and/or fileserver? Maybe e-mail server?
    4) I am willing to put $50 into this system if anyone has any great upgrade ideas.

Thanks!
    In my Lian Li PC-V1100B:
    A64 3200+ NC/CG 300HTT x8 2400MHz (SLK948U w/92mm H1B) ***watercooling also coming soon***
    DFI Lanparty UT 250gb - 1Gb OCZ EB PC3500 - PCP&C 425 Deluxe
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128Mb (VGA silencer rev. 3) - SB Audigy LS
    80Gb & 200Gb Seagate Sata Drives - Pioneer 16x DVD+-RW - Lite-On CDR/RW DVD-ROM

FOLDING!

Xtreme Member
    That's a good motherboard, and a good chip. You'll be happy with the performance you'll be getting out of it. Maybe sell the AIW and use that money to get more RAM since you are interested in making into some kind of server. Definately a nice computer for free.

XSDCMF
    Quote Originally Posted by InvisGreenMan
    I just got a PIII given to me for free. It is a Costa Rica 866/256/133/1.65V SL43J.

Intel Spec Finder

It came with an ASUS CUV4X motherboard, ATI all in wonder, 256Mb ECC PC133, 40Gb drive, Audigy SB LIVE, CD-ROM, CD-RW, etc.

1) I have seen that there are a lot of people that get at least 1GHz out of the coppermines. What are my odds?
    2) Is the ASUS an ok board for O/Cing? Will it get this processor to 1GHz.
    3) I am going to replace the ATi with my Nvidia GeForce2 and run linux for the O/S since linux does do too well with ATI. Will this machine make an ok firewall and/or fileserver? Maybe e-mail server?
    4) I am willing to put $50 into this system if anyone has any great upgrade ideas.

Thanks!
    To answer the question in the title...join the XS D20L team. We could use the help! Here if you are curious and/or interested.
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    sell it and improve your current PC.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Sell it! Hah, think of the cash if I sold all my old computer components!

serlv - I'm a folder!

The memmory says ECC. Do PIII's need ECC PC133?
    In my Lian Li PC-V1100B:
    A64 3200+ NC/CG 300HTT x8 2400MHz (SLK948U w/92mm H1B) ***watercooling also coming soon***
    DFI Lanparty UT 250gb - 1Gb OCZ EB PC3500 - PCP&C 425 Deluxe
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 128Mb (VGA silencer rev. 3) - SB Audigy LS
    80Gb & 200Gb Seagate Sata Drives - Pioneer 16x DVD+-RW - Lite-On CDR/RW DVD-ROM

FOLDING!

Xtreme Guru
    nah, mine has non ecc ecc i think is only for server apps, tha's the only place benifite is noticeable i think
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For 50bucks you can get a tualatin core celeron in the 1.0 or 1.1 range and a socket 370 converter that allows tualatin chips on any socket 370mobo and oc it to 133fsb.

you will find that a tualatin celeron is a mutch higher performing chip. Most people including me (used to own several tualatin chips) and the celeron has 256k on die cache and mhz per mhz the tualatin celeron performs the same as a p3 copermine.

Btw the tualatin chip is a .13micron chip vs the .18 on the coppermine.

Also you can make a media center machine with that setup. I dont see why the system wont be able to play movies and run media center aps on it. Btw there is a free media center that can use any remote and just about any tv tuner card. Only down side is that it needs a fully up to date 2k os or xp os.

Good luck