Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: two little tips about DFi NF4 board

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
    What do you mean by Polarity and how does that have to do with the Power and Reset switch?
    LED had positive and negative pole. only light when voltage is applied in the positive pole....so if reverse then no light because it is actually a diode...where current flow on single way only.......

power and reset sw are just basically contacts only....when depress the contact are just close to send a trigger signal only....

i had always use a screwdriver just to on the com. this way....

as for the led, just had to know which is positive or negative will do or just flip around when it doesn't
    --------------------------
    AMD X2-4200+ 2.68G @1.39v
    DFI SLI-D
    Corsair XMS 1024 XLPT
    Sparkle 6600GT
    OCZ 420w / HEC 350w

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the information AMDnewbie. Can you click on the links to the pictures that I have provided and tell me if I should flip the front connectors around for the HDD and SYSTEM LED? It's kinda weird to have connectors facing two different connectors. One's facing up and the others down. I'm scared to try it because I'm afraid it'll damage the connectors or the motherboard. If enough people can verify it, I will do it. Thanks.

Thanks for the information AMDnewbie. Can you click on the links to the pictures that I have provided and tell me if I should flip the front connectors around for the HDD and SYSTEM LED? It's kinda weird to have connectors facing two different connectors. One's facing up and the others down. I'm scared to try it because I'm afraid it'll damage the connectors or the motherboard. If enough people can verify it, I will do it. Thanks.
    On page 59 of the users manual, it shows a chart of the connections. The power LED + voltages are on pins 2 or 4 of the header connector The HDD LED + voltage is on pin 3. Normally the colored wire in the connector is + and the all white wire is ground. You need to match the colored wire to the plus pin for each connector. The pins are numbered from right to left with the odd numbers at the top and the even numbers at the bottom.

Since the switches do not have a plus or minus side you can leave them as it is or flip them around also if having writing on one side bothers you.

Xtreme Member
    Are you sure it's page 59? I don't have a p.59 in my manual...

c[_]
    Look at the index of your manual and go to the page that is listed as having the info on the power/reset switches and hdd/system power LED's etc.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    Look at the index of your manual and go to the page that is listed as having the info on the power/reset switches and hdd/system power LED's etc.
    It's on p.17 of my manual and I did looked at it before I inserted the front connectors. So are all of you guys telling me that I gotta put the 2 LED connectors facing up in order to get the LED's to light up?

it can't be spoilt....because it is a diode by itself...it glows if current is pass thru from the definite pole n not reverse....if u reverse it then no current can flow thru so the led won't work....

just flip around from ur pic n it will do....
    DFI SLI-D
    Corsair XMS 1024 XLPT
    Sparkle 6600GT
    OCZ 420w / HEC 350w

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDnewbie
    it can't be spoilt....because it is a diode by itself...it glows if current is pass thru from the definite pole n not reverse....if u reverse it then no current can flow thru so the led won't work....

just flip around from ur pic n it will do....
    Wow, you're right it worked! I kinda hesitated earlier because of my paranoia, but yea I'm happy now!

Xtreme Addict
    lol u noob, take a chance
    btw. guys u can unplug drives and fans with the comp on even, i always do. if you memtest overnight you can even unplug your hd after memtest loads, just pull it out fast so it wont short
    on my dfi, there was a sticker on the dimm slots telling about you have to turn off to change dimms.
    Quote Originally Posted by bh2k
    sorry m, OI'm a bit drunkz!
    Air benches with 3000+, DFI nf3 and 6800GT 2001SE: 26312 3d03: 13028

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reject
    btw. guys u can unplug drives and fans with the comp on even, i always do. if you memtest overnight you can even unplug your hd after memtest loads, just pull it out fast so it wont short
    on my dfi, there was a sticker on the dimm slots telling about you have to turn off to change dimms.
    LOL after buying a crappy Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and selling it at a loss, I wasn't in the mood to buy a new motherboard. I'm pretty happy right now except with the BIOS. I hope DFI address the issues that were mentioned by me and the others and release a good new BIOS!

LOL after buying a crappy Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe and selling it at a loss, I wasn't in the mood to buy a new motherboard. I'm pretty happy right now except with the BIOS. I hope DFI address the issues that were mentioned by me and the others and release a good new BIOS!
    well, that's my wish too....
    being doing well with the twinmos UTT at 248 2-2-2-7-1T but can't get tccd to cl 2.5 for high htt yet...
    DFI SLI-D
    Corsair XMS 1024 XLPT
    Sparkle 6600GT
    OCZ 420w / HEC 350w

Banned
    here is another thing you guys need to be aware of:

If you will use vdimm above 3.2v by switching the jp17 to 2-3,
    you do NOT want to use "ZIPPY 700w(6701-p)" PSU. Otherwise, it won't boot at all.
    Talked with Oskar already, this is not the problem cause by DFI, it's PSU 5v stand by problem.

OPB

c[_]
    DO NOT DISCONNECT DRIVES WHILE THE BOARD IS POWERED ON!!!!

This will fry your hdd controllers.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onepagebook

you do NOT want to use "ZIPPY 700w(6701-p)" PSU. Otherwise, it won't boot at all.
    Talked with Oskar already, this is not the problem cause by DFI, it's PSU 5v stand by problem.

OPB
    Would the PCP&C 510SLI work?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAFiZ
    Would the PCP&C 510SLI work?

Yes, works fine, OCZ 600w as well

Xtreme Member
    Yes, works fine, OCZ 600w as well
    Great! Thanks friend!

Memory Addict
    you're crazy ? why pull it out ?

anyway i all my hdds in removable lian li rh53 aluminum drive caddies, so can remove them when needed much safer
    ---

Xtreme Member

OPB
    So which other PSUs have this problem. I wanted to get the Zippy
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_o_S
    So which other PSUs have this problem. I wanted to get the Zippy
    Yes this info is mission critical...
    I have an enermax noistaker 470w ATX v2.0 with no -5 volt rail, will I have the same problem as the zippy?

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    So I think using a 24 pin PSU, plugging the RAM into orange slots and doing a CMOS clear first will avoid 99% of all problems here........
    Previous system:

DFI NF4 ULTRA 0453A3 KOREA CHIPSET / BIOS 510-2FIX / FX-57 0516WPMW@3.62GHZ / 2x256 CORSAIR 3200LLPT BH-5@13x278MHZ 2-2-2-5@3.69VDIMM / MACH II GT@MOD BY BERKUT / ACTIVE COOLING FOR RAM - MOSFETS - GPU RAM / CHIPSET & GPU CORE WATERCOOLED / OCZ POWERSTEAM 600W / BUILT BY ATI X850XT@660/651 - VGPU@1.73-VDD@2.26-VDDQ@2.21 PENCIL MOD / WIN XP 2x80GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT SP80 SATA - RAID 0 & WIN 2K 40GB SAMSUNG SPINPOINT SP40 IDE BENCH DRIVE / PIC

----------------><------------------

teh 0wnage
    err why not just have the hds unplugged when its off? If memtest is on a cd or floppy theres no need to even have the hd's plugged in.

Xtreme Member
    The Zippy does have a -5 though, see here:

http://www.zippy.com/P_product_detai...code=PSL-6701P
    "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." - Sir Henry Royce

Sandoval
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil
    DO NOT DISCONNECT DRIVES WHILE THE BOARD IS POWERED ON!!!!

This will fry your hdd controllers.
    i think i found that out, saw smoke coming off a hd today. pretty bad day for me, killed a hd, bent a few pins on fx55 (got them straightened out ok) and dfi board won't work with zippy. anway, is there a way i can recover the data on that hd, i mean the platters should be ok right???

i7 980x | corsair dominator 6x4 Gb | TJ07
    SLI GTX 580x2 | GT430 | rampage 3 | corsair AX1200
    LSI 9265 | OCZ vertex 128x4 raid0 | corsair c300 | hitachi 3tbx3 |
    blocks: cpu hk 3.0 | gpu aquacomputer 580x2 | mb ek re3 fc | ram bitspower galaxy
    pump: laing d5 x2 | res: koolance 452x2
    rad: TC 120.3 120.2 | scythe GTx5
    NASs: qnap 879 8x3tb | thecus N5200 2tbx5

Xtreme Member
    My OCZ PowerStream 520w is working fine (for the moment I guess, there have been a few threads that the 520w has KIA'ed again like with the Neo2).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast