Thread: Turion (Newark??) = AMD Rev. E CPU ??

Xtreme Member

Turion (Newark??) = AMD Rev. E CPU ??

Hi folks,

When reading about the Newark @3100Mhz AC Thread i was wondering about a few things.
    Is the Newark 3700 the Turion with 1MB L2 cache??
    If yes, i need to get one, got a KV8pro here. This is where my my second questions comes in:
    The Abit sites tells me about the newest bios:

1. Add AMD Rev. E CPU support.

Does this mean it fully supports the Turion/Newark? What about the VCore? The minimum i can set it at right now is 1.5V, will this lower with the new bios automatically? So i can set it to 1.3V for example?

Would be nice if you could answer my questions, I'm still learning the oc-magics here at XS.org, but damn money holds me of from testing myself most of the time

Xtreme Member
    Turion is Lancaster

35W (1.35v) and 25W (1.20v) models
    1MB and 512K Cache (A real big mess)

Newark is 90nm Rev.E Mobile Athlon 64 3000+ through 3700+ (62W)
    Haven't seen a 2800+ yet.

Newarks all have 1MB Cache and run at 1.35v

Don't know much about your board so I'll let someone else comment.

Xtreme Member
    Turion64 is a San Diego that has been optimized for lower power consumption. The new Athlon64 mobiles (Newark) basically desktop 939 San Diegos packaged for S754, as they have no power optimizations.

If you're overclocking, you want Newark, not Turion64. But the only models I've seen for sale so far are the 3400+ and 3700+. So you'll have to shell out at least $250 if you want San Diego goodness on S754, or wait until the 3000+/3200+ models become available (could easily be a couple months).

Tyler Durden
    I wouldn't you want turion?
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Member
    It's not a bad overclocker, but it's nothing spectacular either. tristancarton and myself both tried overclocking Turion64 MT-34s (1.8GHz, 1.2v) and neither of us were able to do much more than 2.6GHz stable with 1.6v+. We believe that the power optimizations for Turion64 also negatively effect overclocking potential.

It'd be good for a low-power computer, HTPC, etc., but for a desktop where overclocking is the goal, Newark offers greater potential for higher clocks. Not to mention it has higher multis.

Tyler Durden
    Yea, you say that, but compare that to the 3000+ clawhammer mobile and they look pretty damn awesome. I know I've had three 3000+ claw mobiles and all haven't been able to get past 2.5GHz with 1.7volts even. My 3400+ mobile claw on the other hand did 2.9GHz with 1.75volts on air. But anyway, if these turion "3000+'s" can hit 2.6GHz on around 1.6volts, I still consider that a nice improvement which leads me to believe there 3400+/3700+ older brothers would do well once they are released.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Mentor
    The Turion does seem like a nice choice for SFF-type systems, though. Cool everything passively and just have one dead-quiet rig.

With regard to the BIOS for the Abit board, I don't see why it shouldn't work. ozzimark ran his Newark on the DFI and even played with the old official BIOS. It worked fine from what I have read.

Xtreme Member
    I think after you factor in price, though, Newark is the obvious choice, unless extremely low power is absolutely necessary.

conrad, I was actually kind of hoping Turion64 compatible mini-ITX boards might appear. Base them on the VIA K8N800A mobile chipset, and you'd have one heck of a low-power system. Don't know if these are even planned though, let alone when they'd be available if they are.
    Last edited by conrad.maranan; 05-18-2005 at 03:49 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Yes. Something very nice and petite would be wonderful for a Turion. But then again, I'd probably still go with a Dothan. Those things are monsters just waiting to be unleashed.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah P-M is definitely nice, although in the end it'd probably be more expensive than a Turion system. Right now the Turions biggest problem for us enthusiasts is availability. Mobile chipsets are pricey, and so are the processors. But I believe a price drop is also coming up sometime soon.

Xtreme Member
    Milk inside every box of Dynamite Dig-Ums!
    Quote Originally Posted by frostedflakes
    Yeah P-M is definitely nice, although in the end it'd probably be more expensive than a Turion system. Right now the Turions biggest problem for us enthusiasts is availability. Mobile chipsets are pricey, and so are the processors. But I believe a price drop is also coming up sometime soon.

The biggest problems with Turion for enthusiasts is that they have a lower overhead for OC'ing than the other mobile A64's.
    AMD Opteron 165
    DFI LP nF4 SLI-DR
    2x1024mb G.Skill "HZ"
    MSI 7900GTX
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=88027

Xtreme Member
    Well by enthusiasts I meant HTPC/mini-ITX enthusiasts, who probably don't care at all about OC'g. But yeah for us (as in overclockers) Turion64 definitely isn't the best choice.

Xtreme Member
    The biggest issue for Turions for overclockers compared to Newarks is the fact they use a greater proportion of low power/ high Vt transistors and no bottom capacitor in source/drain as well as a broader voltage spectrum. (Whereas Newarks are esentially cherry picked san diegos on socket 754). Whilst this is good for their proper use (low power consumption) its not good when overclocking as these transistors have a lower drive current.

Xtreme Member
    Milk inside every box of Dynamite Dig-Ums!
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Detective
    The biggest issue for Turions for overclockers compared to Newarks is the fact they use a greater proportion of low power/ high Vt transistors and no bottom capacitor in source/drain as well as a broader voltage spectrum. (Whereas Newarks are esentially cherry picked san diegos on socket 754). Whilst this is good for their proper use (low power consumption) its not good when overclocking as these transistors have a lower drive current.
    There Newark isnt the same as the San Diego. It has less loops in the architecture and tweaks for lower power. The FX series has cherry picked San Diegos, yes, but the Newark is on a totally different assembly line.

You are correct about the Lancaster core. An executive of AMD said that a long time ago, yet there are people that disbelieve it, even in face of the facts, oddly.
    AMD Opteron 165
    DFI LP nF4 SLI-DR
    2x1024mb G.Skill "HZ"
    MSI 7900GTX
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=88027

XS News
    How much do the Turions cost right now? Are they really good in prolonging battery lifetimes and playing games?

Sorry, if these questions sound n00bish, I don't keep up with laptop cpus.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowing
    How much do the Turions cost right now?
    MSRP
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowing
    Are they really good in prolonging battery lifetimes and playing games?
    They perform exactly in pair with same featured desktop CPU's, as they consume almost 30% less power.

Xtreme Guru
    we CAN'T say ALL turions are bad o/cer's, consider this. CBBID, that made you shutter din't it...lol but there are still CBBID'S that clock good so unless we've tested ALL of the turions we can't legitimately say they are ALL bad clockers and like badong said, 30% less power consumption and perform in pair with same featured desktop cpu's. i mean 1800-2600mhz how is that a bad o/c???? tha's what i have (see avatar) and apperently same voltage too.
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd