Thread: AMD memory controller vs HyperTransport

Xtreme Member

AMD memory controller vs HyperTransport

After doing some research, I think that I have had these two things confused for a while. Is AMD's on-die memory controller linked to the memory by a HyperTransport link, or is HT only used to link the CPU and the chipset?

One other question. On AMD's website, it shows all A64 processors as having one "non coherent" HT link, with Opteron processors having up to 3 of both kinds of links (coherent and non coherent.) What is the difference between these?

Live Long And Overclock
    After doing some research, I think that I have had these two things confused for a while.
    Its 1:22 AM here, and I'm half asleep so my advise: do some more research lol.

Perkam

Love and Peace!
    2:20

i'll try to help though.

first off, this picture of the K8 is layed out will help.
    http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...hammercore.gif
    basically, the ht links and memory controller are seperate. and have nothing to do with eachother.
    there is a crossbar between the core, memory controller and ht link(s), allowing for the connection of any two thereof.
    for normal desktop a64's with one ht link this means you can connect:
    core <--> memory controller
    core <--> ht link
    memory controller <--> ht link

though, i don't know the difference between a coherent and non-coherant ht link is. my best guess would be that the non-cohereant ht links can only connect to the chipset, while the coherant ones can also connect to other coherent links on other cpu's. though that doesn't really make sense.
    so the only other option is that the non-coherent link babbles nonsense while the coherent one is somewhat intelligent?
    Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them

perhaps a coherent link maintains cache coherency between processors?

Xtreme Member
    Since the north bridge use to be the memory controller on older general CPU and as well as current day Intels, the link between CPU and the bridge is I suppose called the coherent link? Having the mem controller seperately created latency and wiring issues as the addressing needed grew. So AMD decided to go with the integration route. HyperTransport is just a term AMD branded for the link they have with the CPU and on-die mem controller. Doesn't really mean much other than a cool name to get people's attention.
    Main: i7 2700k @ 5.0Ghz, ASUS Maximus V Formula Z77
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600, ASUS GeForce GTX680
    2x240GB SanDisk Extreme RAID0, Seasonic Platinum 1000, Corsair H100
    Server: i7 2700k, ASROCK Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
    16GB Patriot 1600, 120GB SanDisk Extreme
    5TB JBOD, Corsair 850TX, Corsair H100
    Media: Phenom II X4 940BE, Biostar TA790GX XE
    4GB Corsair XMS2 1066, VisionTek HD4850 512MB
    60GB OCZ Agility 3, SilverStone ST400

--- TSFroggy ---

The mem controller and HT links are seperate entities, not sequential. For a little help read this thread. We were discussing dual-cores, but the info on the controller and HT links are still relevant and might help you out

Regarding the coherency question - it deals with whether or not the links are snooped (which is used to maintain coherency between the memory and cache... i.e. insure they contain the same data for the same address).

Peace

Love and Peace!
    Quote Originally Posted by koei
    So AMD decided to go with the integration route. HyperTransport is just a term AMD branded for the link they have with the CPU and on-die mem controller.
    if i'm not mistaken, you are saying that a hypertransport link connects the core and the memory controller?

Got a fan over those memory sticks? No? Well get to it before you kill them

I am Xtreme

Talking Anyone welcome you in yet?

If not:

to the world of xtreme.

Now get , we can use all the help we can get (D2oL)