Page 19 of 102 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021222969 ... LastLast

Thread: Dothan overclocking thread

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    But here's the MAGIC about the Dothan....
    you don't NEED a HS/F like that!!!!!
    A Swiftech MCX159 and a MicroCool NorthPole are good for 2.8++
    Customize a s370 hs/f just for fun....

C

Xtreme Member
    The DFI board has standard northbridge holes, which is all is required to cool the dothan really.

http://www.x86-secret.com/pics/cm/dfi855/socket-sch.png

http://www.x86-secret.com/pics/cm/dfi855/board-17b.jpg

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Naughtyboy
    uclajd: I have the Aopen board...and I can confirm that it has 4 mounting holes...and it uses P4 standard mounting mech. So both Vapo and Mach II will fit with 478 brackets....however the height of the cpu socket and the cpu it self may or may not be a problem.
    I think the numbers are off. If you look at the schematic of the 479, the holes are 41mm x 41mm. Based on measurements I just took on a P4C800, the 478 socket's mounting holes are more like 77mm x 60mm!

<<479 478>>

3 inches = 76.2 mm. 2.34 = 59.4 mm. So my cheap plastic ruler measurements were a little off, but you get the point.

WRT the height of the CPU and socket, no problemo. When you install the Vapo, the evap is supposed to protrude from the foam like 2mm. As you tighten it down, it makes contact with the IHS, and snugs up against it. To some degree, it retreats back into the foam/housing. It really is quite flexible in terms of height. Just let the evap protrude 2.1 mm for the Dothan.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    Need? Need? LOL, since when is XS.org about practicality? These pursuits are about conspicuous excess, getting faster, quicker, lower times. If I lived in Antarctica I'd be burying my Vapo's compressor in the permafrost! If I got my processor down to absolute zero, I'd wonder, what if I added a bigger fan on the raddy? (yes I know this would be both impossible and futile).

2.8 on air might be nice, but I'd like to see these at 1.7 vcore at -50, and we might kick some serious arse.

Bottom line, it would need a custom evaporator housing, something I don't have the time, energy, or likely the skills to fab.

Any volunteers? WTH did FUGGER use for his cascade?
    Last edited by uclajd; 01-04-2005 at 07:32 PM.
    <----- REST IN PEACE, KIT. 1993-2007.

Xtreme Member
    A Swiftech MCX159 and a MicroCool NorthPole are good for 2.8++
    Customize a s370 hs/f just for fun....

C

charile which mobo do u and macci prefer? the aopen or the DFi, reason im askin is that ive jus recived a 1.6 dothan and i need a mobo to go with it, im not really in a massive rush, so if there is another mobo around the corner which will be better then plz suggest it. all otha users plz freel free 2 answer this question also...

shigs

Xtreme Addict
    ^^^^ good Question, Aopen seem to be freely available in the UK but I can't find a single DFI board unless I import . I'm currently leaning towards DFI as they usually follow a mobo with good BIOS support whereas most manufacturers only upgrade their BIOS if a problem is found, rather than attach better overclocking options.

Xtreme Member

re:

macci can you verify one thing on aopen?
    On mine i see a weird behaviour.
    If you open aopen software inside windows and look at the cpu T you will see the same or higher T that you see inside bios.
    Now is it the aopen software that grab its T from bios (weird) or idle is not working properly in your opinion?
    My windows driver is uniprocessor ACPI and idle process is in my task manager.
    Other weird thing is that bios cpu T starts at 36.5° w/ 20° ambient T and goes up to 41/42° and stops there. Full load or not full load.
    Give it look if you can.

P.S. a first Pi look w/o booster.

P.S.S. philippines chip...:/

Ciao

Xtreme Addict
    Charlie, I totally understand what your saying, the fact is these CPUS will overclock to ~2.7GHz on air due to their great thermal properties. Perhaps I should reword my question a little. Is there anything feasible to be gained from using watercooling/TECs over air, or is the performance gain minimal when you reach these dizzy heights?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo
    ^^^^ good Question, Aopen seem to be freely available in the UK but I can't find a single DFI board unless I import . I'm currently leaning towards DFI as they usually follow a mobo with good BIOS support whereas most manufacturers only upgrade their BIOS if a problem is found, rather than attach better overclocking options.
    Im from the uk also mate, can u post the links of all the websites that sell the aopen mobo??

ty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Charlie, I totally understand what your saying, the fact is these CPUS will overclock to ~2.7GHz on air due to their great thermal properties. Perhaps I should reword my question a little. Is there anything feasible to be gained from using watercooling/TECs over air, or is the performance gain minimal when you reach these dizzy heights?
    Watercooling would likely yield smaller gains than it usually does on other processors, because watercooling is limited to slightly above ambient temps, and these Dothans don't run all that much higher than ambient compared to other hot-as-hell processors. So the efficacy of water on these wouldn't be all that great (unlike, say a Prescott, or a 6800GT that runs 80C under load, LOL).

But TECs and phase go lower than ambient, much lower. If this forum stands for anything, it's that even at room temp, no processor works as well at one running zero or subzero.

I firmly believe if someone puts out a decent mobo (which neither the DFI or Aopen are, by modern enthusiast standards) that could hit higher FSBs and memory clocks, a phase on these things would be scary.

Xtreme Addict
    Shigs,
    So far I've seen Dabs and Kustom PCs plus according to the overclockers.co.uk forums they should be receiving Aopen boards today and DFI boards by the end of the week (heres hoping!!)

EDIT: just noticed that Overclockers has an Aopen board on their site now, DFI to follow...
    Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 01-05-2005 at 01:21 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Actually anyone know what the thermal rating of a Dothan is when overclocked. I know the TDP rating is ~21Watts but this'll shoot up somewhat when running high clocks. Reason being this is the operating range of the MCW50-T and I'm curiousto see if the TEC needs upgrading or if the 80 Watt one currently installed will suffice?

Xtreme Member
    Hehe, that thing would keep the biggest Dothan frozen @ stock wattage

And then chill the water....
    | Pentium-M 730 SL86G 1.60@2.81GHz | ASUS P4P800SE w/ CT-479 | 2x512MB BH-5 | 1M @ 26s | Windows XP SP2 |
    | Athlon64 3000+ E6 LBBWE 0544EPHW | ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 | WinXP and various Linux distros | Currently enjoying:

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    mcw50-t would be awesome!!! It'd probably keep the CPU under 0C even under load...

C

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually anyone know what the thermal rating of a Dothan is when overclocked. I know the TDP rating is ~21Watts but this'll shoot up somewhat when running high clocks. Reason being this is the operating range of the MCW50-T and I'm curiousto see if the TEC needs upgrading or if the 80 Watt one currently installed will suffice?
    Use this handy online wattage calculator. But first you'll need to visit the processor finder to know the stock values. There is no single answer, as it depends on which chip, what voltage, and how high you overclock it. For example, the 2.0 SL7EM, default voltage at 1.34, stock wattage 21, set at 1.6v running at 3.0 would be under 45 watts. Even at 1.7v, at 3.0 GHz it would be under 51W. To hit over 80W, you'd need to run the 2.0 at 1.7v @ 4750. If you find a 2.0 that will run at 4750 under any conditions, let me know, so I can come over to your house and conk you on the head, take it from you, and pwn every bench known to mankind, SLI or not.

Keep in mind also, I'd be surprised if that thing fits on either board without some custom solution. In fact, no way it fits on the Aopen.

I have a MCW50 without the T, and its mounting holes/screws are about 55mm apart, too wide for the 41mm Aopen and way too small for the weird DFI holes. The block itself is larger than 41mm, so it would be very hard to mount on the Aopen (80-172W peltiers themselves are 40mm X 40mm). DFI could be done, but you'd likely need to fabricate a bar or star bracket to attach on the back of the mobo. Not hard for some of the McGivers here, but know what your are facing.

I don't want to poo-poo this idea. Frankly, I love it. I'd buy a DFI and Vapo it if I could fab a evaporator housing (I actually use my PC, on my desk, in a pretty case, so I don't want to do the messy foam-and-clamp in the garage method). But even if I could make it work, these boards really do suck (even the almighty FUGGER tried phase change, and it was like perfume on a pig with these boards).

If a good board comes out for this thing, I'll be on it like a pit bull on a poodle, and make the Vapo work. And for those of you who think I don't need a Vapo, I already have one, and they are very expensive paperweights.
    Last edited by uclajd; 01-05-2005 at 06:28 PM.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Quote Originally Posted by uclajd
    Use this handy online wattage calculator. But first you'll need to visit the processor finder to know the stock values. There is no single answer, as it depends on which chip, what voltage, and how high you overclock it. For example, the 2.0 SL7EM, default voltage at 1.34, stock wattage 21, set at 1.6v running at 3.0 would be under 45 watts. Even at 1.7v, at 3.0 GHz it would be under 51W. To hit over 80W, you'd need to run the 2.0 at 1.7v @ 4750. If you find a 2.0 that will run at 4750 under any conditions, let me know, so I can come over to your house and conk you on the head, take it from you, and pwn every bench known to mankind, SLI or not.

Keep in mind also, I'd be surprised if that thing fits on either board without some custom solution. In fact, no way it fits on the Aopen.

I have a MCW50 without the T, and its mounting holes/screws are about 55mm apart, too wide for the 41mm Aopen and way too small for the weird DFI holes. The block itself is larger than 41mm, so it would be very hard to mount on the Aopen (80-172W peltiers themselves are 40mm X 40mm). DFI could be done, but you'd likely need to fabricate a bar or star bracket to attach on the back of the mobo. Not hard for some of the McGivers here, but know what your are facing.

I don't want to poo-poo this idea. Frankly, I love it. I'd buy a DFI and Vapo it if I could fab a evaporator housing (I actually use my PC, on my desk, in a pretty case, so I don't want to do the messy foam-and-clamp in the garage method). But even if I could make it work, these boards really do suck (even the almighty FUGGER tried phase change, and it was like perfume on a pig with these boards).

If a good board comes out for this thing, I'll be on it like a pit bull on a poodle, and make the Vapo work. And for those of you who think I don't need a Vapo, I already have one, and they are very expensive paperweights.
    Hmmm..... are you sure the DFI pattern is too small? I use a standard Swiftech NB cooler on mine and that's the same size as ATI pattern, isn't it?

C

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmmm..... are you sure the DFI pattern is too small? I use a standard Swiftech NB cooler on mine and that's the same size as ATI pattern, isn't it?
    No, the Aopen is too small, 41x41.

So, did you sell the Dothan?

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    sold the DFI board ONLY.... I have a 755 AND a 735 sitting here, looking for LOVE

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uclajd
    No, the Aopen is too small, 41x41.

So, did you sell the Dothan?

M8 you got it mixed up...DFI board is the one that is having 41x41...and Aopen is utilising P4 mounting braket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey
    I was watching late night TV and this was rolling through my mind all night.....
    "Why in the name of Papa Smurf would you put your d1ck in a hot apple pie?????????"

Does anyone have a link to the in-socket Vmod for Pentium-M?

I've got a Dothan and the DFI 855GME, but I'd rather not remove the resistor for more Vcore, since it's a test board and will eventually go back to DFI.

I can't seem to find a link to the wire trick anywhere, my searching skills on the forum and Google are weak today!

Need more Vcore to push past 2.4GHz with my 1.7

Rys

My spec changes too much to keep these things up to date!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys
    Does anyone have a link to the in-socket Vmod for Pentium-M?

I've got a Dothan and the DFI 855GME, but I'd rather not remove the resistor for more Vcore, since it's a test board and will eventually go back to DFI.

I can't seem to find a link to the wire trick anywhere, my searching skills on the forum and Google are weak today!

Need more Vcore to push past 2.4GHz with my 1.7

Rys
    THERE ya go m8..!!!
    I was watching late night TV and this was rolling through my mind all night.....
    "Why in the name of Papa Smurf would you put your d1ck in a hot apple pie?????????"

Xtreme Addict
    Uclajd, the plan was to fabricate a new mounting frame for the MCW50-T aka their very own FX adaptor style one. I was plannig to buy the DFI mobo rather than the Aopen anyway.

Charlie, you sold the DFI?!?, what was the problem, was it too flaky?

Non working agp lock I guess. Go for the aopen anyway.
    www.madshrimps.be

Xtreme Addict
    what on offer from the Aopen that the DFI doesnt, apart from the socket mounts. Isn't the DFI capable of 533MHz as opposed to the 400MHz of the Aopen?

There are some issues when you go past 133 FSB and have an Ati card, it freaks a bit out. We think the AGP Lock on the DFI board is not working.
    www.madshrimps.be

Xtreme Member
    About the agp lock on Aopen...I don´t know if it´s only mine or if anyome else experienced same thing.
    All 3 agp/pci lock options work up to certain levels of FSB....it doesn´t work completly. I.E ....when I set 66/33 I can go up to about 140fsb...with 75/37 it craps out at about 156..and finnaly with 88/44 it allows me to go up to about 170, but when running an ATI 9250 with the 88mhz lock I get stutters/lagging when running 3DMark wheras it dosen´t when locking at 75mhz.

Page 19 of 102 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021222969 ... LastLast