Page 18 of 102 FirstFirst ... 8151617181920212868 ... LastLast

Thread: Dothan overclocking thread

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luseruser
    Does your vidcards/whole system get glitches when running high fsb/agp clocks on the Aopen even when usin 37/74 lock? I have been reading some experiences complaining about system laggin´ ...i´m seriously thinking about buying Aopen + 735 set(Already have Rad X800 Pro VIVO@ XT PE +), but the overal smoothiness of the combo on high clocks(fsb >160) makes me wonder if this is worth it?

Anyone got a link to a picture of the Boxed Dothan cooler?
    Yes I´m having glitches when using agp/pci lock 88/44...like small laggs in 3dmark...this doesn´t occur when using 75/37 lock....but when running above 155fsb I have tu use 88/44 otherwise it will slowdown the system like crazy.

About Dothan boxed cooler...there aint such thing...cpu doesn´t come with HSF not even the boxed ones....however the mobo comes with a cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey
    I was watching late night TV and this was rolling through my mind all night.....
    "Why in the name of Papa Smurf would you put your d1ck in a hot apple pie?????????"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegeta
    I just wonder, cos on eBay i've seen one with a SL7GL stepping.
    Never seen that b4 @XS, only hear mentioning SL7EM/SL7EN's.
    Is there any theory around the stepping. Higher in the alphabeth means newer stepping? Like on AXP's and Winbond chips? I'm new with Pentium.

Edit:
    I found what those codes mean
    SL7GL = 1.5ghz dothan
    SL7EN = 1.8ghz dothan
    SL7EM = 2.0ghz dothan
    This is very new stuff...so any conclusion on stepping is to early to make other than that you should try to stay away from Philipine chips...thoose have generally been worse overclocker.. since the dawn of time, atleast when it comes to Intel cpus

I have a 1.6 Dothan with stepping:SL7EG...and it´s a Philipine chip. This little thing won´t go above 2.3ghz without any vcore mods....suxx real bad IMHO.
    I was watching late night TV and this was rolling through my mind all night.....
    "Why in the name of Papa Smurf would you put your d1ck in a hot apple pie?????????"

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtyboy
    Yes I´m having glitches when using agp/pci lock 88/44...like small laggs in 3dmark...this doesn´t occur when using 75/37 lock....but when running above 155fsb I have tu use 88/44 otherwise it will slowdown the system like crazy.
    Laggin´ in other 3D when 88/44?

Quote Originally Posted by Naughtyboy
    About Dothan boxed cooler...there aint such thing...cpu doesn´t come with HSF not even the boxed ones....however the mobo comes with a cooler.
    ...thanx for clearing that up ...naturally expected a boxed CPU to have cooler bundled. I was wondering why i haven´t seen any pics, even i had read tons of Dothan info/articles/reviews. The cooler bundled wit Aopen mobo seemed one which can get its job done farely well.

Will see if i´ll jump the Dothan bandwagon just yet.... any other experienses on the system/3D glitches?
    Last edited by luseruser; 12-31-2004 at 07:18 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luseruser
    Laggin´ in other 3D when 88/44?

Haven´t tried any real world 3Dgaming...because of the fact that i don´t have any good gfx atm....my XT PE is RMA´d.....but I di try 3Dmk03 and 05....and I get the lagg there as well

Has anyone seen a tweaker for 855 yet?
    Epox 8KDA3+ full modified
    Kingston PC3500 HyperX ( Winbond BH-5) running 270Mhz 2-2-2-5@3.7V
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+@2430Mhz 9x270
    Club3D Geforce 6800 Ultra (on it's way)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolzero2k1
    Has anyone seen a tweaker for 855 yet?
    There ya go m8...have uploaded one for ya HERE

THX Mate
    Epox 8KDA3+ full modified
    Kingston PC3500 HyperX ( Winbond BH-5) running 270Mhz 2-2-2-5@3.7V
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+@2430Mhz 9x270
    Club3D Geforce 6800 Ultra (on it's way)

Xtreme Member
    Anyone interested in a direct comparison? Here's a 3DMark01 compare of macci's Dothan vs a Clawhammer at the same speeds (and the Dothan only has 256MB of RAM, where 1GB would give over a 300pt bonus).

P-M Dothan @ 2.4GHz
    256MB 2-2-2-5 @ 213fsb

vs.

A64 Clawhammer @ 2.4GHz (10*240HTT)
    1GB 2-2-2-5 @ 200HTT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A64 & XTPE.jpg 
Views:	1238 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	21942  
    Last edited by WiCKeD; 01-01-2005 at 08:11 PM.
    Current system:
    Case: Modded Watercooled Jpac
    CPU: Intel Q6600 @ 3.5GHz [1.47v] - OCCT stable
    Mobo: DFI LanParty Jr T2RS @ 432fsb [1.37v]
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4*1GB DDR2 @ DDR1095 (5-4-5-15) [2.2v]
    HD: WD 300GB Velociraptor / WD 640GB Caviar
    GPU: HD 4850 Crossfire @ (700 | 2200)
    PSU: OCZ ModXstream 780w

Xtreme Member
    Nice WiCKeD, now get that A64 down to 133HTT to show the REAL deal about the Dothan power
    | Pentium-M 730 SL86G 1.60@2.81GHz | ASUS P4P800SE w/ CT-479 | 2x512MB BH-5 | 1M @ 26s | Windows XP SP2 |
    | Athlon64 3000+ E6 LBBWE 0544EPHW | ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 | WinXP and various Linux distros | Currently enjoying:

Xtreme Member
    Does a Pentium M (dothan) ES exsist?
    What are the benefits of an Engineering sample? Cos a dothan is unlocked . Maybe on an ES you can choose higher multipliers ?
    I've found this picture on eBay, is this for real? Or a hoax? I've never seen a Pentium M chip with resistors on top
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dothanES.jpg 
Views:	814 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	21974  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    looks a dang lot like an A64 mobile clawhammer to me.

Xtreme Member
    An A64 Mobile Clawhammer with 'INTEL' written on it?

I think this is a picture of a Dothan without heatspreader.
    And I think this is what a Pentium 4 without heatspreader looks like.
    And I think this is what a Mobile Athlon 64 Clawhammer looks like.
    So I've got no idea what it is...

BTW I thought a Dothan only has it multiplier unlocked downwards.
    Last edited by RaptorRaider; 01-02-2005 at 02:03 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorRaider
    An A64 Mobile Clawhammer with 'INTEL' written on it?
    Its entirely possible, dont believe everything you read on the internet

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias-K
    Nice WiCKeD, now get that A64 down to 133HTT to show the REAL deal about the Dothan power
    If I get a chance, I might try it with a 256MB ram to do a direct comparison.

Dothan may score around the same, but what it struggles at and what it excels at are more interesting and relevant to how it performs in real games. I need to look up what each '01 test relates to...

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta
    I've found this picture on eBay, is this for real? Or a hoax? I've never seen a Pentium M chip with resistors on top
    Actually, it looks alot like the uPGA 35w XP-Ms Newegg had on their site for a brief while. I think the core was vertical though, but maybe not and that would be an easy photo edit.
    Last edited by WiCKeD; 01-02-2005 at 09:18 PM.
    Current system:
    Case: Modded Watercooled Jpac
    CPU: Intel Q6600 @ 3.5GHz [1.47v] - OCCT stable
    Mobo: DFI LanParty Jr T2RS @ 432fsb [1.37v]
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4*1GB DDR2 @ DDR1095 (5-4-5-15) [2.2v]
    HD: WD 300GB Velociraptor / WD 640GB Caviar
    GPU: HD 4850 Crossfire @ (700 | 2200)
    PSU: OCZ ModXstream 780w

c[_]
    what you need to do is get the FSB's matched up (dont worry about HTT and effective FSB, worry about final ram speed) then maybe see if tweaking timings to get bandwidth closer will affect some things..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Banned
    Charlie/Macci and others any benchmark updates or board/system results

I benched 3d2k1 and this is the result. Not bad.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8334389
    www.madshrimps.be

Xtreme Addict
    Been watching this for a while and the Dothan looks seriously impressive against FX-55s and EEs when overclocked. From what’s been said it seems that bandwidth is the way ahead rather than all out CPU speed.
    I was saving up for an A64 system but seeing how this will be cheaper for comparative speed I'm changing my plans but have a few questions before going mad with the money!

Memory
    Seeing how FSB is more important I'm assuming that TCCx based memory is the smart move. Both due to it being widly available on the market and the lower voltage needed to overclock (~2.8-2.9v right?). Is OCZ's XV any good assuming a vdimm mod to the mobo. Also If I was to use an OCZ voltbooster I was intending on running 1GB of RAM, so in this situation I'd need a single 1GB stick. Anyone know of a suitable stick based on TCCx or whatever else is recommended.

Cooling
    Though it’s pretty obvious that these things don’t run hot, I was planning on using water cooling (CPU and GPU). I was thinking that the Swiftech MCW50-T would be pretty mint, as a retention frame could be used in the same way as their FX adaptor, just drilled differently for the 4 holes on the DFI board. Perhaps its early days yet to be asking, but is there anything to be gained by using a TEC on these CPU's?

Cheers

JB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why hasn't anyone here phase changed one of these yet?

Are the mobos too buggy to run at those speeds?
    <----- REST IN PEACE, KIT. 1993-2007.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    The Dothans are plenty stable at lower fsb's....
    Running at 20 x 133 = 2667mHz, at 200mHz DDR400, 2-2-2-5...it's ROCK-SOLID with a northbridge cooler.... just the mem b/w is a bit low.

C

Xtreme Addict
    Uclajd see FUGGER's work here

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo
    Uclajd see FUGGER's work here
    Yeah, I saw that after I posted this, thanks.

Has anyone confirmed that VapoChills fit on these sockets?

Xtreme Addict
    If your refering to the DFI, then the head will need some serious mods. The Aopen mobo however has a standard 478 HSF cradle so the Vapo should be compatible. However, the heating pad for the top of the CPU surface prob won't fit and due to the lower profile of the CPU the head may need to be screwed down more. I'm not totally firmiliar with the retension mech. for the vapo but I think you can get away with it. Anyone willing to give it a try?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo
    If your refering to the DFI, then the head will need some serious mods. The Aopen mobo however has a standard 478 HSF cradle so the Vapo should be compatible. However, the heating pad for the top of the CPU surface prob won't fit and due to the lower profile of the CPU the head may need to be screwed down more. I'm not totally firmiliar with the retension mech. for the vapo but I think you can get away with it. Anyone willing to give it a try?
    Yeah, I just found this review, and it reveals that the DFI's holes are non-478-standard (how dumb is that?).

It comes with a four post through-hole mounting bracket for the backside of the motherboard and spring loaded retention screws that provide ample downward force to hold the sink firmly atop the processor core. The mounting holes in the motherboard are a completely unique spacing, so although this is a socket 478 design (sort of, more on this later), you won't be able to plug just any Pentium 4 sink into this setup. In fact, we scanned the web thoroughly and couldn't find any aftermarket Pentium M embedded heat sinks available anywhere. If you are looking for more aggressive cooling, it's more than likely going to require a custom design effort on the part of the enthusiast, at least for now.
    Why would these DFI tards design the holes non-standard, with the plethora of 478 cooling options out there? Idiots!

As far as the Aopen goes, I only see 2 small mounting holes around the socket on that board. The Vapo uses all four 478 mobo holes to secure it to a steel plate on the back, which also holds the heating element.

I'd be happy to give it a try if someone wants to loan me the goods, but no way I am pulling the trigger on this to have my expensive Vapo sit in the closet. Man, I would love to throw my Vapo on one of these chips doing 2.8 on air, and run 1.7v through it!

Xtreme Member
    uclajd: I have the Aopen board...and I can confirm that it has 4 mounting holes...and it uses P4 standard mounting mech. So both Vapo and Mach II will fit with 478 brackets....however the height of the cpu socket and the cpu it self may or may not be a problem.

Page 18 of 102 FirstFirst ... 8151617181920212868 ... LastLast