Page 14 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464 ... LastLast

Thread: Dothan overclocking thread

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks like Aopen may be the way to go... DFI may be better off with Nvidia cards, though.
    Bedroom: D201GLY2, Celeron 220 (1.2ghz/512k cache); 1gb DDR2 PC-5300; Geforce 6200 PCI
    -----------------
    Gaming: Core 2 Duo E4500@2.93ghz (266x11); Abit IP35-E; 3gb Crucial Ballistix PC5300@400mhz (4-4-4-15); XFX Geforce 8800GS@680/800 10123 3dmark06
    -----------------
    HTPC: Athlon 64 X2 BE-2300 (1.9ghz); ECS mATX mb; 2gb Crucial PC5300; Radeon HD2600 Pro 256mb (DXVA HA in BD and HD-DVD)

Originally posted by Thunderbird1Ghz(Geforce4Ti4200) at Sharky Forums
    And you arent gonna believe this, but that DVD rom will even read regular CD roms!!!!!!!

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI

I feel kinda like I did when I bought the "awesome" new Asus P4S800D-E....that "incredible" new SiS chipped 478 board
    So now I've got this DFI that won't POST without a DDR Booster and I'm $280 lighter in the wallet....
    I "ALMOST" got the Aopen... I liked the mounting cage.... but I fell for the x-86 HYPE article... my mistake. SO NOW, will I go Aopen 855 or wait a week and grab the ASUS SLI board????

C

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kristos
    up the agp/pci speed.

*edit* wrong pic, sorry.

I don't have the link anymore but luckily I still have it on the HD

for more mods, maybe someone else can help you out or PM kyosen/k-ohashi

*edit bis* uploading doesn't work when editing I'll make new post then...

and another *edit*

I couldn't upload cuz' the pic was too big

but I found a link

what's a very robust vidcard pci/agp clock wise? nothing too fancy...
    What function has the 5kOhm variable resistor?

Xtreme Legend
    What function has the 5kOhm variable resistor?
    as kyosen already mentioned in this thread its for Vcore fine tuning (can be done w/ 'normal FB=>VR=>GND' -mod too).

Xtreme Member
    So your recomendation for for non modding would be AOpen?

EDIT: Kinda ment for Macci and Charlie + others alike
    | Pentium-M 730 SL86G 1.60@2.81GHz | ASUS P4P800SE w/ CT-479 | 2x512MB BH-5 | 1M @ 26s | Windows XP SP2 |
    | Athlon64 3000+ E6 LBBWE 0544EPHW | ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 | WinXP and various Linux distros | Currently enjoying:

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    I think DFI is good for less than Xtreme work.
    For example, a 2.0 @ 20 x 140 = 2.8gHz AIRCOOLED, 5:3 @ 240mHz would be REAL nice...

But for 160+ FSb action, it seems the Aopen may be better....and there may be some issue with the pci/agp lock on the DFI....

the jedi master
    I will have a chat with my friends at DFI about the lock. I have a Pci geiger here but still no cpu to test with so i can't advise whether the lock is infact workin.

Im thinking of getting the AOpen also as i have a domain server to rebuild as well as multimedia rog so 2 boards and 2 cpu's should do me fine.

as soon as i have any news off DFI i will post back.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

I have tested with geiger on the aopen card, but due to a rivaling hw site back here in Norway who's known to be ripping our ideas, I have kept my mouth shut. I will post details as soon as my review is finished.

But basicly the locks are not working properly.

And there was a dram timing issue, cas 2,5 was a no go. Seems to be fixed with the 105 bios.
    Last edited by Shep; 12-20-2004 at 04:46 AM. Reason: added signature
    www.ocshoot.no

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep
    I have tested with geiger on the aopen card, but due to a rivaling hw site back here in Norway who's known to be ripping our ideas, I have kept my mouth shut. I will post details as soon as my review is finished.

But basicly the locks are not working properly.

And there was a dram timing issue, cas 2,5 was a no go. Seems to be fixed with the 105 bios.
    wait, are you talking about the aopen or the dfi? i know you said aopen, but as far as i know, the locks are working on the aopen and not on the dfi. be sure to post a link to your review once it's done (english i hope, my norse is a little, errr, rusty )

charlie,
    is your chip a malay or a phillipine one? i've been told the phillipine ones don't clock as good (might be yet another rumor, but who knows).

jan,
    same question to you. was yours a filipino or a malay?
    sky / s!p - we are oldskool, dammit.

I am talking about the aopen card, the 66/33 locks do not work at all. But it seems that the promise s-ata controler don't mind high pci speeds.

Mayby i'll write an english summary and add it to the review. Since the review is in Norwegian. Or i will post a summary here. Will have to see when i'm finished.
    www.ocshoot.no

Xtreme Legend
    I am talking about the aopen card, the 66/33 locks do not work at all. But it seems that the promise s-ata controler don't mind high pci speeds.
    66/33 not working at all?
    Thats funny - I've ran my rig at 140FSB (BIOS set to 66/33) for quite some time and haven't seen a single problem. The rig has Audigy soundcard, Adaptec SATA controller and X800XT PE. Also 2x200GB sata drives, 160GB Samsung IDE drive and LG 4082 DVD burner.
    Somehow I highly doubt that all that stuff would run flawlessly at 46MHz PCI/93MHz AGP.

As far as DFI and AGP/PCI locks go I believe that the lock works there but there is some sort of (clockgen/chipset related?) 'sync' problem when past 133FSB (similar to i875 mobos when past 300FSB, Abit TH7-2 also had this issue w/ ATI cards).

Yes the do not work, try ripping out your audigy and use the onboard sound

Or you could try the 88/44 lock

I had to use an old sb live card above 110 ish to get sound, thats why i got the pci-geiger to check out the locks. And 66/33 do not work, somwere in the mid 140ish which give pci-speeds at around 46 the onboard promise controler give up. The 75/37 and 88/44 locks works most of the time, but have occational hickups after reboot. Sometimes it will not work before you have rebooted 3-4 times.

My board seems to max out just above 150 with pci-locked at 37. Not quite sure why yet. But could be failing agp lock...
    www.ocshoot.no

Xtreme Enthusiast
    which bios are you running? the .05 could probably be the cure for you...

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    Quote Originally Posted by sky
    wait, are you talking about the aopen or the dfi? i know you said aopen, but as far as i know, the locks are working on the aopen and not on the dfi. be sure to post a link to your review once it's done (english i hope, my norse is a little, errr, rusty )

charlie,
    is your chip a malay or a phillipine one? i've been told the phillipine ones don't clock as good (might be yet another rumor, but who knows).

jan,
    same question to you. was yours a filipino or a malay?
    I don't know WHERE mine was made?? It doesn't say on the CPU.

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    And on the DFI, even the ONBOARD-VIDEO craps out at 154fsb.
    I did the Vagp mod to no avail, I just don't understand it. When I first tried out the board I hit 159-160ish...sPi stable. And now even after different o/s installs, I just have problems.

C

Xtreme Member
    It will say on the side of the box where its made, on the righthand side of the label. I whould post a pic but I don't have my roomates camera at the moment.

Xtreme Member
    I think this may have been covered before, sorry if it was but I was wondering what are the Aopen dividers ? Also are there new ones for the DFI with a new bios ?

Hi xtremes!

I got some results with my AOpen Board and the AOpen boxed cooler too.
    But i have got just _very_ crappy noname ram at the moment...

A Question:
    Is there a BIOS Version with which i can adjust the voltage over the specificated voltage for my processor? Because 1,35V are really crap
    Or will i have to do a VCore mod too?

btw. sorry for my bad english
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33secs2.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	193.6 KB 
ID:	21173  
    Last edited by hanzi; 12-20-2004 at 11:49 AM.
    AOpen i855 GMEm-LFS | Pentium m 735 @ 2,37 Ghz(vcore mod coming soon) | 2x 512 MB OCZ (PC433) | Gainward GeForce 6800 Ultra (Golden-Sample) 470/1300MHz | Tagan 330W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by THX1138
    I think this may have been covered before, sorry if it was but I was wondering what are the Aopen dividers ? Also are there new ones for the DFI with a new bios ?
    here's the linky to the data you requested for the aopen board. regarding dividers, i wouldn't expect them to add more, as they were pretty much all one could ask for - higher ones wouldn't probably do you any good

hanzi,
    try this (posted at forumdeluxx.de *german*, but the pics should do the talking anyway, and austria... guess it's some kind of german after all hehe) - it's the pinmod done on the dfi board, but as the cpus would be the same, so would the socketlayout. this pinmod should work the same on the aopen board.
    i've seen people do another kind of vid mod using dipswitches & removing some smd parts. this was posted by kyosen and macci somewhere around the start of this thread.

and your english isn't that bad - seen worse actually. oh and i can't stand people excusing themselves before even making errors...

Im sending my Dothan to Oppainter when he gets his DFI board. He might be able to squeeze more out of it.

At least I took #1 Intel spot for Pifast with a dothan at 3.07Ghz

I think the problem Charlie is describing is AGP/Chipset voltage not a AGP/PCI lock.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Member
    sorry for the dumb question but a 2.7 dothan would be on par with a Amd64 3800+ right? or am i over shooting it?

Xtreme Member
    A 2.7GHz Dorthan would crush a 3800+ quite nicely
    | Pentium-M 730 SL86G 1.60@2.81GHz | ASUS P4P800SE w/ CT-479 | 2x512MB BH-5 | 1M @ 26s | Windows XP SP2 |
    | Athlon64 3000+ E6 LBBWE 0544EPHW | ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 | WinXP and various Linux distros | Currently enjoying:

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    I did the Vagp mod and set to 1.6v, here's the problem I see:
    I can be in the desktop at 133 (400DDR) and it runs like a top
    In clockgen (or thru BIOS) I adjust slowly up to 140 or so.... and the first thing I notice is the WINDOWS slows down, you click on something and it takes 5x as long to open, then after about 10 seconds just crashes to black screen and re-boots. After reboot the little box pops up that says:

Unexpected failure due to display driver:
    X800 XT Platinum Edition (or 9600xt)

It seemed like it worked better a few days ago oddly enough... I returned the board. Will get another soon....don't know if I'll eBay it or try again.......
    It's a pity, though as this 1.7 hits 2.7 on AIR

C

Xtreme Legend
    In clockgen (or thru BIOS) I adjust slowly up to 140 or so.... and the first thing I notice is the WINDOWS slows down, you click on something and it takes 5x as long to open, then after about 10 seconds just crashes to black screen and re-boots.
    This is the point where you should be upping the AGP/PCI clock w/ clockgen. The higher you go w/ the FSB the higher you need to set the AGP/PCI clock. Useing 1/4 divider from BIOS should work too.
    Useing this method I was able to get up to 160FSB (15x160) w/ X800XTPE 3D2k1 stable => link

Tried a couple of things last night.

With my rad x800pro, 150 work like a charm using 37 lock. A couple more mhz on the fsb and i get all sorts of freaky behavior. Icons on desktop take forever to draw, occational bsods due to ati driver faliur and so on. 160 fsb is impossible.

So I swapped the radeon with an old gf 4200 card, suddenly 160 fsb was fully benceheable, ran a 3dmark01 without hickups. Now for the weird part, 161 was a complete no boot. It locks up during post.

Then I tried with a matrox pci card, 160 works like a charm, 161 worked the first time only. Superpi worked fine, didn't test anything else. Reboot and then full stop during post. Tried numerous times but it was a no go.

As for any reason why, it will be only be speculation. I do not have any tools for measuring agp speeds.

Chipset/Bios sems dead in the water past 160. Might be curable with a chipset vmod. I can't test this as the board has to be returned to the retailer I have borrowed it from.

As for the locks, see below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	with66_33.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	21212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	with75_37.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	21213  
    Last edited by Shep; 12-21-2004 at 01:54 AM. Reason: some typo's
    www.ocshoot.no

Page 14 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464 ... LastLast